2018 Training Camp Thread

Woz

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Go through and watch all the DL snaps from last season, and you’ll see that Tomsula largely kept Allen and Matt I. out of the game when we were in base. Most likely because we needed them fresh when in Nickel.  I’m assuming that continues, with Payne rotating in at times in Nickel. 

I'm not saying that they didn't do that last year. I am however questioning if they should continue doing that this year. Keep in mind McClain is (thankfully) gone and McGee is currently on the shelf.

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm not saying that they didn't do that last year. I am however questioning if they should continue doing that this year. Keep in mind McClain is (thankfully) gone and McGee is currently on the shelf.

Well they do need a rotation. I do think that Allen & Ioannidis will once again mostly be on the field when we are in nickel with Lanier and Payne rotating in.

In base it remains to be seen, I think Allen and Ioannidis will get more snaps in the base 3-4 this year than they did last year, but the fact that the Redskins are in a 4-2-5, 70% plus in the game, I think a majority of Allen and Ioannidis’s snaps will once again be in the 4-2-5 formation, same with Lanier.

Payne’s will probably split his time between both a 3 man and 4 man front with him playing almost all of the 4 man snaps.

Settle is an enigma. I’d like to think he shows well for a rookie and splits time with Payne at NT, but I just don’t know.

With the 3 veterans (Hood, Taylor and McGee) it depends who out of the 3 make the team. Do 2 of them make the team and we keep 7 or do we go with 6 DL?

My inclination is if McGee is healthy he makes the team, but he may not be healthy enough. In that case, I think he’d stay on the PUP list and maybe start the season on it.

I think Hood and Taylor both have a good chance of making this team as reserves - or Taylor may even do enough to be our starting NT - and that means McGee would get cut instead of staying on the PUP to start the season.  I think all 3 of these vets - whomever makes it - will predominantly be playing in our base defense in the 3 DL look.

28 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Go through and watch all the DL snaps from last season, and you’ll see that Tomsula largely kept Allen and Matt I. out of the game when we were in base. Most likely because we needed them fresh when in Nickel.  I’m assuming that continues, with Payne rotating in at times in Nickel. 

I'm in favor of McGee being on the field as little as possible.  Just give Settle his snaps.

15 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Not only are they cheap, they made Richmond pay them to come practice here.

Exactly. It hasn’t been a good deal for the city, which is what I expected when the Redskins decided to take the training camp to Richmond.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly. It hasn’t been a good deal for the city, which is what I expected when the Redskins decided to take the training camp to Richmond.

I misspoke, technically the City of Richmond didn't pay the Redskins anything.  VA Economic Development Authority paid the Redskins.  

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm in favor of McGee being on the field as little as possible.  Just give Settle his snaps.

It depends what Settle does and if McGee even gets healthy. I’d love to see Settle play great and with a chip on his shoulder because he fell a few rounds from where he thought he would be drafted, but how can we know that will happen for sure?

We have to see it first.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

They should try to keep Allen and Matt I. fresh, if possible, for Nickel, but I also see where you're coming from.   We need guys to step up (Settle, Payne) or stay healthy (Taylor, McGee) in order to stay effective whether we're in Nickel or Base.  If even 50% of those players I named play well, we should be able to keep Allen/Ioan fresh.

5 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Hey Redskins, how about you realize you have two first round DTs on the roster and your two starting edge rushers play better with their hands in the dirt.  Oh and you have no NT.  Solution?  Say it with me.......  4-3 defense.

They took two DL in round 1 of the last two drafts who played at Alabama and in a 3-4 defense in college.

Ryan Kerrigan has been a pro bowl LOLB since his 2nd year in the NFL.

Preston Smith has been solid - and some times spectacular - since we drafted him. I agree he’s not as consistent as he needs to be, but he has no problem playing ROLB and getting consistent pressure and even making some game changing ints.

Lastly, Da’Ron Payne is a nose tackle, Settle is a nose tackle and Phil Taylor is a nose tackle.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

JD going against Norman will be very good for him this coming season. The one about Nicholson I think is obvious that when he’s on the field he’s a differencemaker. We need this guy to be healthy!! Please football gods let this fan base see what this team has and injure the patriots giants or someone like that for once lol

On the Record

Jay Gruden on what Derrius Guice needs to work on: “The physicality of Derrius Guice is not the issue. We just got to make sure he gets it mentally. I don’t think he's going to have a problem. He picked it up very fast in OTA's. He didn't have any mental mistakes, did a great job, so I anticipate Derrius getting plenty of looks – plenty of touches.”

Comment: Earlier, Gruden said that Guice is “Strong, strong, strong, strong.” Four strongs. He must be in pretty good shape. 

On moving Ty Nsekhe to guard: “Not yet. We’ve got to get him on the field first. He’s going to have to do individual and all that stuff. But right now, we are going to leave him at tackle.

Comment: I just paid attention to the first two words—not yet. Seems to imply that it will happen at some point or at the very least it hasn’t been ruled out. 

The Agenda

Today: Training camp practice 9:45; Walkthrough 4:40; players available after both practices

Upcoming: Preseason opener Redskins @ Patriots (Aug. 9) 14 days; Final cut (Sept. 1) 38 days; Season opener @ Cardinals (Sept. 9) 46 days

I’m on my phone, so I can’t post it in the right format, but did anyone see this tweet?

From Kennedy Paynter:

“Norman a step late on the pick with players later saying ‘It ain’t Kirk throwin the ball no more JNo! He gone!’ Kirk bashing a theme here on the players’ sideline at #Redskins training camp.”

Archived