Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Ehhh, we were just good enough to get by. Been a long time since we had a young well rounded receiver in their prime. 

A core of Crabtree/Boldin/Davis was pretty damn solid. Far better than just good enough to get by. If anything, it was Crabtree's Achilles injury that held that core from being one of the absolute best in the league. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A core of Crabtree/Boldin/Davis was pretty damn solid. Far better than just good enough to get by. If anything, it was Crabtree's Achilles injury that held that core from being one of the absolute best in the league. 

I'm just talking about receivers though. So I don't count Walker or Davis. So it was Crabtree, Moss, Boldin, and Ginn basically. Moss and Ginn had speed, but Ginn had a few other issues as a player that has held him back his entire career. Moss was not the same player as he used to be. Crabtree and Boldin as our starters lacked speed, separation, and hops. A lot of their catches were contested. 

A good receiving group to me is like Bruce, Holt, Prohel, and Hakim in St. Louis. Or Monk, Sanders, and Clark in Washington. Wayne, Harrison, and Stokley in Indianapolis. 

I'm praying we get something like that going with the 49ers. To me we haven't had a decent group since the late 90's with Rice, Owens, and Stokes. 

Dude certainly isn't scared to take risks and fit balls in close windows. That will likely put his INT numbers in double digits but that's fine. Will be scoring a lot of points and he will be one of the most accurate QBs in the game. 

Funny thing is about that long TD pass to Robinson which they said went for 70 yards, some how Robinson almost dropped that pass as he bobbled the ball before securing it. DJ Reed took his foot off the gas there but if he continued on, that likely ends up as an incompletion. 

43 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Garcon just turned 32. I hope he has enough in the tank for at least a couple more years. Can't believe he's never even been to a Pro Bowl.

We don't need Garcon for a few more years tbh. With the young receivers we have waiting in the wings, I don't see Garcon being on the roster past this season. I think the deal he signed was essentially a two year deal anyway. We could use his cap saving down the line also. If the young guys were not showing as much promise I would tend to follow your line of thinking. But guys like Bourne, James, Bolden Jr, even Dunbar have been turning heads and making enough plays that I believe Garcon's skill set won't be as needed moving forward.

28 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

and as it went along, it went like this...

https://twitter.com/wiggygoskins/status/1025140651267186688/photo/1

Most Wins by a starting QB since 2011 :

1. Tom Brady -85

2. Alex Smith -69

3. Aaron Rodgers -67

4. Ben Roethlisberger -66

5. Russell Wilson -65

.. but not for us. Not till now. 

Why did you choose since 2011, and not his entire career? 

Also, QB win/loss record isn't a good indication of the quality of a quarterback that is under center. 

9 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Why did you choose since 2011, and not his entire career? 

I'd say because 2011 is largely when the team (and more importantly, the coaching staff), became somewhat competent. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd say because 2011 is largely when the team (and more importantly, the coaching staff), became somewhat competent. 

I mean, I guess. It's kind of cherry picking though to make Alex look better than reality suggests. If we're whittling down the quality of a QB to just W/L record, coaching staffs shouldn't matter.

Archived