Training Camp Thread

49erurtaza

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Writing is definitely on the wall. And to think we traded up for him SMH.

It was already looking grim. He never looked that promising in the first place, and subsequently got hurt. I remember being disappointed when we took him. Thought we should have targeted another player. Too bad it didn't work out.

So I was watching the 1 on 1s right now, and DJ Reed is impressive. Taylor is pretty much impossible to stop in these drills as he puts on multiple moves and shakes, but Reed is able to change directions so quickly. He held up very well and even had one pick. But that time he was going up against Bolden Jr I believe. Witherspoon also had nice reps against Garcon and Pettis forcing two incompletions. Moore is money if you are running go routes against him as he can use his size and speed to keep up, but isn't as fluent when a WR makes a cut to the inside or outside. Something to watch in preseason. 

Some of the 1 on 1 reps. I know Reed is getting time at FS right now, but this guy could potentially be one of the elite nickel corners in the game. I still think he could even play on the outside, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. 

Damn, bodies falling down like crazy lately. Already down Sherman and Ward at corner, and now you can add Williams to the list.

Williams is pretty damn good, but I don't think there will be much of a drop off, if any between him and Reed. The latter is that good already. 

DJ Reed does indeed look great. From these short vids, the one who impressed me the most were Reed, Spoon and Bourne. Bourne just looks like he's going to be a good player for a long time. Maybe not a high end #2, but a very good complementary player nonetheless. And from previous days, Pettis looks like he could be really special. He has qualities that you can't teach to a player. I watched some of his college highlights, and he definitely has #1 WR potential (when you consider his skillset, along with his intelligence and work ethics). And with Goodwin lighting it up in camp, we're looking at a pretty solid group of receivers. In fact, everyone seems to be stepping it up. And that's something I've mentioned over the years, and something people never really seemed to agree on, but receivers do seem to play harder for a QB they believe in, to stay more focused, to hold on to the ball more, to dive for a low throw more. They step up, because they don't want to let Jimmy down, and because they want to earn their reps. They feel like they have a chance to become the next superstar receiver, playing with a QB like Jimmy, so they give their all. And honestly, I think we're seeing that of all our receivers and tight ends. Jimmy doesn't necessarily make them look better (although, he does at times), but he makes them make themselves look better (confusing turn of phrase, but you know what i mean.. maybe). So... awesome!

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I was watching the 1 on 1s right now, and DJ Reed is impressive. Taylor is pretty much impossible to stop in these drills as he puts on multiple moves and shakes, but Reed is able to change directions so quickly. He held up very well and even had one pick. But that time he was going up against Bolden Jr I believe. Witherspoon also had nice reps against Garcon and Pettis forcing two incompletions. Moore is money if you are running go routes against him as he can use his size and speed to keep up, but isn't as fluent when a WR makes a cut to the inside or outside. Something to watch in preseason. 

Where are you watching these reps...online?

Yea I never really understood the move of Reed to FS. He's a nickelback, through and through. At his size, I don't ever see him being a factor outside. At least not in this scheme. But I always felt he could make Williams expendable if he stayed inside. 

How freaking talented is Buckner beating Staley from the edge? As good as he was last season, he may be in the DPOY conversation this season. And if he could get some outside reps in the nickel, that would open up more inside rushes for guys like Day and Armstead. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is great news for the defensive players involved, since it's much more complicated for them. Even Moore - the fact that he's fine on Go routes but struggling more on cuts is pretty much par for the course from what you'd expect from a DB in these drills, especially raw rookies learning a new position. Good stuff. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea I never really understood the move of Reed to FS. He's a nickelback, through and through. At his size, I don't ever see him being a factor outside. At least not in this scheme. But I always felt he could make Williams expendable if he stayed inside. 

I think it's to check out versatility and find ways to get him on the field quicker. In nickel and dime sets, it makes sense to get the best 5 or 6 DBs on the field, regardless of who they are. So the versatility helps out. On paper, Colbert, Tartt, Witherspoon, Sherman, and Williams are a promising young unit. So - you can move young guys around to see what they can do. It was like last year when many argued against moving Colbert to FS, arguing he was a cornerback. Sometimes guys spark at a position and you just run with it. 

Archived