Tony Romo vs Eli Manning?

patriotsheatyan

9 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Flacco was a one hit wonder in the postseason, and has struggled in recent years. Nobody is comparing him with Rodgers. Big Ben is a first ballot HOF lock, right up there with Brees and Rodgers as one of the greats of this era. Big Ben's strong postseason history definitely adds value to his career. 

Flacco has 10 wins in the post season.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:45 AM, Crickett said:

30 for 40 for 296 yards and a touchdown is being carried by a defense? 

Yes. Troy had similar numbers in SB XXX and had to rely on Ints by Larry Brown to win the game.

19 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

........dropping a snap in Seattle........

Here we go again. 9_9

1) Criticizing a player for failing while playing out of position is utterly idiotic. 

2) There is an unwritten rule of NFL coaching, "Never ever put starting  QBs in on special teams."

On 7/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, LaserFocus said:

Flacco was a one hit wonder in the postseason, and has struggled in recent years. Nobody is comparing him with Rodgers. 

I’m not in any capacity saying Flacco is on the same planet as Rodgers, but you can also say Rodgers is a one hit wonder and take away from his postseason record. 

It’d be 6-4 vs 6-7 at that stage.

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

Here we go again. 9_9

1) Criticizing a player for failing while playing out of position is utterly idiotic. 

2) There is an unwritten rule of NFL coaching, "Never ever put starting  QBs in on special teams."

The bobbled snap is actually the best microcosm of Tony's career imo.

Poor coaching/management decisions puts him in a position he shouldn't be in.

Something goes wrong in a way it's easy to put the blame solely on him.

Tony thinks on his feet and tries to salvage it.

Would have still scored if the rest of the team was giving the same effort he was (the kicker gives any attempt at a block and it's a score).

Everything gets laid at his feet in order to push a narrative about him.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m not in any capacity saying Flacco is on the same planet as Rodgers, but you can also say Rodgers is a one hit wonder and take away from his postseason record. 

It’d be 6-4 vs 6-7 at that stage.

Rodgers is so far ahead of Flacco elsewhere, the postseason isn't a factor in comparing the two QBs.

3 hours ago, Bobikus said:

The bobbled snap is actually the best microcosm of Tony's career imo.

Poor coaching/management decisions puts him in a position he shouldn't be in.

Something goes wrong in a way it's easy to put the blame solely on him.

Tony thinks on his feet and tries to salvage it.

Would have still scored if the rest of the team was giving the same effort he was (the kicker gives any attempt at a block and it's a score).

Everything gets laid at his feet in order to push a narrative about him.

We can make all kinds of excuses for the players we like, I get it. What if Phillip Rivers has a decent knee and LT available for his lone AFC TG at New England? Even if we toss out the Seattle game, Romo is still 2-3 in the postseason, and threw away another postseason opportunity at Washington. He had ample chances to succeed, and just didn't execute the way other QBs have done. Historically, the HOF QBs find a way to get it done in the postseason, and Romo had the surrounding talent to do more.    

On 7/28/2018 at 4:00 PM, Bobikus said:

Also Tony Gonzalez?  Just terrible

Nobody is talking about less important positions than QB in the postseason discussion. While more postseason success would have added value to the great careers of players like Gonzalez and Sanders, they simply didn't have the control of the QB position over the outcome of those games. 

41 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

Rodgers is so far ahead of Flacco elsewhere, the postseason isn't a factor in comparing the two QBs.

Obviously, but that’s not the point. 

It’s not that the two are comparable in any way, it’s that you can’t really just omit Flacco’s 2012 run without then doing the same for Rodgers’ 2010 - then Flacco would have a much superior post season record.

Which gets us back to: post season wins on their own aren’t enough to separate two quarterbacks.

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Obviously, but that’s not the point. 

It’s not that the two are comparable in any way, it’s that you can’t really just omit Flacco’s 2012 run without then doing the same for Rodgers’ 2010 - then Flacco would have a much superior post season record.

Which gets us back to: post season wins on their own aren’t enough to separate two quarterbacks.

Yes, there are variances in all aspects of postseason production. Nick Foles had a Cinderella run with the Eagles, but nobody is suggesting he's a HOF candidate. Yes, postseason wins matter, but no one can suggest Flacco is on Rodgers' level. But when we compare Romo vs. Manning, it's a glaring difference one one QB can't even reach a NFC title game with his cast, and another went 8-0, beating the Pats twice. Eli does have an impressive regular season as well. Aaron Rodgers has time to strengthen his postseason qualifications.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:45 AM, Crickett said:

30 for 40 for 296 yards and a touchdown is being carried by a defense? 

Eh, 296 yards and a TD isn't exactly lighting it up.... And I'd assume those numbers don't beat Brady most of the time.  If I'm going to the Superbowl to play Brady and you tell me Dak will throw 296 and 1 TD, while I'm happy for Dak(those are monster numbers for him)... I'd really be hoping my defense(which is Zeke) comes up big, because that aint enough to beat Brady.

5 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

We can make all kinds of excuses for the players we like, I get it. What if Phillip Rivers has a decent knee and LT available for his lone AFC TG at New England? Even if we toss out the Seattle game, Romo is still 2-3 in the postseason, and threw away another postseason opportunity at Washington. He had ample chances to succeed, and just didn't execute the way other QBs have done. Historically, the HOF QBs find a way to get it done in the postseason, and Romo had the surrounding talent to do more.    

Ample as in 3?  Elway didn't execute until his 9th, Montana had 3 straight one and dones, Brady had a decade between SBs 3 and 4, Marino never won any, Peyton won his two on two terrible postseasons, etc. Hell, if QB greatness = superbowls, Brees and Rodgers would have multiple.

It's not about excuses, it's that SB wins require a lot of people to have a string of good games and good coaching and a bit of luck., so More Superbowls = Better Than has always been a stupid and reductive way of comparing players.

Archived