Tony Romo vs Eli Manning?

patriotsheatyan

Its a perfect summation of Tony.... he's a lovable guy and great QB who made spectacular plays...and simultaneously authored gut- punch losses.

I've got noting against Romo, he's a WI kid who made it big. But his results didn't match the hype from his fan base imo

Conversely, Eli isn't a lovable guy and didn't have the point guard-athleticism that Tony had, but he delivered in crunch time on many occasions

Its been said that in the NFL:  "You earn your paycheck during the regular season and earn your Legacy in the playoffs" 

Romo was 2-4 in the playoffs, Manning was 8-4 with (2)  Lombardi's.

I think that's germane to this discussion, the Romo-fans feel differently (for obvious reasons)

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Its a perfect summation of Tony.... he's a lovable guy and great QB who made spectacular plays...and simultaneously authored gut- punch losses.

I've got noting against Romo, he's a WI kid who made it big. But his results didn't match the hype from his fan base imo

Conversely, Eli isn't a lovable guy and didn't have the point guard-athleticism that Tony had, but he delivered in crunch time on many occasions

Its been said that in the NFL:  "You earn your paycheck during the regular season and earn your Legacy in the playoffs" 

I think that's germane to this discussion, the Romo-fans feel differently (for obvious reasons)

Also germane to this conversation is the fact Eli played several years in old Giants Stadium, a difficult venue to throw the ball. Romo's inability to lift a talented team to even a conference title game is a huge problem. By contrast, Eli was the focal point of the Giant's offense, and he took down the Patriots twice in the postseason. EM will be in Canton someday, Romo has no chance.

8 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Joe Thomas that bum. 

3 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Also germane to this conversation is the fact Eli played several years in old Giants Stadium, a difficult venue to throw the ball. Romo's inability to lift a talented team to even a conference title game is a huge problem. By contrast, Eli was the focal point of the Giant's offense, and he took down the Patriots twice in the postseason. EM will be in Canton someday, Romo has no chance.

Romo was the Cowboys focal point of their offense as well (and did it better), whereas eli has struggled without a successful running game for much of his career. 

Eli Manning is only going to Canton because he won 2 SBs on some of the luckiest plays in NFL history, don't get me wrong what he did is no small task but Eli never got better than "Damn good if they make the playoffs" 

Eli going to Canton means nothing, Canton is a popularity/reputation contest at best nowadays.

Romo is the better QB, Eli has the better legacy. 

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Joe Flacco has both more playoff wins and a better playoff record than Aaron Rodgers (as well as his own Super Bowl MVP). Is Joe Flacco in the conversation with Aaron Rodgers when it comes to playing QB? If Ben wins 2 more post season games he'll be 3rd all time in playoff wins. No one is going to argue that Ben is even the 3rd best QB of his era.

23 minutes ago, Malik said:

Joe Flacco has both more playoff wins and a better playoff record than Aaron Rodgers (as well as his own Super Bowl MVP). Is Joe Flacco in the conversation with Aaron Rodgers when it comes to playing QB? If Ben wins 2 more post season games he'll be 3rd all time in playoff wins. No one is going to argue that Ben is even the 3rd best QB of his era.

Flacco was a one hit wonder in the postseason, and has struggled in recent years. Nobody is comparing him with Rodgers. Big Ben is a first ballot HOF lock, right up there with Brees and Rodgers as one of the greats of this era. Big Ben's strong postseason history definitely adds value to his career. 

11 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Romo's inability to lift a talented team to even a conference title game is a huge problem.

What is this lift? Romo was held back by some of the worst coaching and play calling in history.

11 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

By contrast, Eli was the focal point of the Giant's offense, and he took down the Patriots twice in the postseason.

Eli took down nothing. He was carried by his team's defense. 

20080609__Giants-Strahan-Retires-Footballp1.jpg?w=600

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkefV6oyGuF1INAGuWb3tNmbY9ohPMVsHjqDkhVFP01gq7yK5pPA

On 7/26/2018 at 11:37 PM, patriotsheatyan said:

It’s interesting to me that virtually everyone knows Romo was better, yet Eli probably will go to canton while Romo won’t.

It's because the HOF voters understand the primary objective of team sports is winning, and the QB position is possibly the most important in all of team sports. It's not fantasy football out there, it's about winning. And when we're talking about borderline HOF candidates, the postseason can help or hurt a candidate. Despite having a talented supporting cast, it's a big deal Romo never reached a single conference title game. Eli Manning was superior to Romo when it really counted, and outplayed Tom Brady in two SB wins. And this nonsense about coaching and bad playcalling isn't a rational defense of Romo. Whether it was dropping a snap in Seattle, or failing to convert a crucial third down, Romo just didn't deliver in the playoffs. He's a very good QB, but below Staubach and Aikman in Dallas Cowboys history.

Archived