Tony Romo vs Eli Manning?

patriotsheatyan

13 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Yes, there are variances in all aspects of postseason production. Nick Foles had a Cinderella run with the Eagles, but nobody is suggesting he's a HOF candidate. Yes, postseason wins matter, but no one can suggest Flacco is on Rodgers' level. But when we compare Romo vs. Manning, it's a glaring difference one one QB can't even reach a NFC title game with his cast, and another went 8-0, beating the Pats twice. Eli does have an impressive regular season as well. Aaron Rodgers has time to strengthen his postseason qualifications.

Romo postseason oPPG: 19.8

Romo postseason dPPG: 22.7

Manning postseason oPPG: 19.3

Manning postseason dPPG: 17.3

Romo statline: 61.62%, 219 YPG, 8-2 TD-INT, 93 passer rating.

Manning statline: 60.50%, 234 YPG, 18-9 TD-INT, 87.4 passer rating. 

If you take away post season wins (note, I didn’t say “postseason performance”), Eli doesn’t really have a leg to stand on other than the fact that he’s insanely more durable, which is a given, and probably had a better 1-season-peak.

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

If you take away post season wins (note, I didn’t say “postseason performance”), Eli doesn’t really have a leg to stand on other than the fact that he’s insanely more durable, which is a given, and probably had a better 1-season-peak.

Cowboys' defense gives up 4 TDs in a quarter and every body blames Romo.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

I have held the belief for 10 years now that if Romo and Manning switched teams Tony would have three rings and Eli would be riding the bench.

There wouldn’t be an unbroken bone in Romo’s body if he played behind the offensive line Eli has had the past five years. The reason Eli has 2 rings and Romo has 0 is intestinal fortitude. Eli came up big when the pressure was high, Romo did the opposite. 

23 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

Yes, there are variances in all aspects of postseason production. Nick Foles had a Cinderella run with the Eagles, but nobody is suggesting he's a HOF candidate. Yes, postseason wins matter, but no one can suggest Flacco is on Rodgers' level. But when we compare Romo vs. Manning, it's a glaring difference one one QB can't even reach a NFC title game with his cast, and another went 8-0, beating the Pats twice. Eli does have an impressive regular season as well. Aaron Rodgers has time to strengthen his postseason qualifications.

While the gap between Romo and Eli's regular season play isn't anywhere near as large as Flacco and Rodgers, it's still pretty sizeable. Romo's peak play was higher and his Eli's lows were lower. Romo only had 8 seasons where he started north of 10 games. Eli's had 13 and has only been the playoffs 2 more times than Romo. Obviously you can't and should never take away Eli's playoff runs from him. Let's not act like he was always clutch in these moments or that half of his playoff performances didn't peak at mediocre. 

On 7/30/2018 at 9:32 AM, Gmen said:

There wouldn’t be an unbroken bone in Romo’s body if he played behind the offensive line Eli has had the past five years. The reason Eli has 2 rings and Romo has 0 is intestinal fortitude. Eli came up big when the pressure was high, Romo did the opposite. 

Nope:

bloggiants201529.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=525

david-tyree-giants-where-are-they-now.jpg

Those two photos totally explain every thing.

I'll take Eli.  First, I'll start out by saying I know it's kinda dumb over the course of two careers to boil it down to one game but the game that sticks out in my mind the most for Romo is the Week 17 game against the Redskins.

It was a win and you're in the playoffs game, and Romo was terrible.  There's a lot of what ifs/excuses/justifications/stat analysis that can be done to compare Eli and Romo, but I was high on Romo at that time and he completely choked and played terrible in that game.  Cowboys lost 18-28 in that game where Romo threw 3 picks; I recall at least one of those being LOL bad.

Eli didn't put up "great" numbers in the two postseason runs but I do recall some big time throws.  I don't fault anyone for taking Romo in this debate, and I'm not a big Eli fan myself.  But I'm taking Eli.  People saying Romo would have 2-3 rings with the Giants are kidding themselves...

On 7/31/2018 at 12:54 PM, TheVillain112 said:

I'll take Eli.  First, I'll start out by saying I know it's kinda dumb over the course of two careers to boil it down to one game but the game that sticks out in my mind the most for Romo is the Week 17 game against the Redskins.

It was a win and you're in the playoffs game, and Romo was terrible.  There's a lot of what ifs/excuses/justifications/stat analysis that can be done to compare Eli and Romo, but I was high on Romo at that time and he completely choked and played terrible in that game.  Cowboys lost 18-28 in that game where Romo threw 3 picks; I recall at least one of those being LOL bad.

Eli didn't put up "great" numbers in the two postseason runs but I do recall some big time throws.  I don't fault anyone for taking Romo in this debate, and I'm not a big Eli fan myself.  But I'm taking Eli.  People saying Romo would have 2-3 rings with the Giants are kidding themselves...

The game you’re referencing was an absolutely terrible game for him for certain, but using one single game as a basis of judgement isn’t particularly fair. Frankly using postseason success as a metric isn’t really anything other than a football cliche. All in all Romo was clearly the better player, even considering what the Giants accomplished with Eli in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, NoFlyZone said:

The game you’re referencing was an absolutely terrible game for him for certain, but using one single game as a basis of judgement isn’t particularly fair. Frankly using postseason success as a metric isn’t really anything other than a football cliche. All in all Romo was clearly the better player, even considering what the Giants accomplished with Eli in the playoffs.

I think it's a better argument then "Well if Romo was on the Giants he would have 2-3 rings". 

I'm a Bengals fan.  I've seen Andy Dalton at 1pm games, and I've seen him on MNF, TNF, playoffs, and other big games.  There is a big difference.  Romo isn't Dalton bad, but I've seen Eli multiple times come up big in big time situations.  Yes, he had a great defense to help him, but I can't say for sure that Romo would have stepped up like Eli (and his teammates) did in those situations to win the SB...

We're taking career accolades out of this, right? One will be in the HOF and one won't even sniff it. But I think it's okay to prefer the other guy to start a team around. Brady for example, he's the unanimous GOAT but if you're asking me if I'd rather have prime Brady or prime Rodgers to build a team around, I'm easily taking Rodgers.

Romo at his best was better than Eli at his best. Romo just had some really bad breaks go his way (pun intended). As an Eagles fan, I was much more concerned about facing Romo than Eli.

Romo is the better QB...

When healthy.

And therein lies the problem for me.  As long as you have a certain baseline of QB play your team can compete, so even just "pretty good" QB seasons are valuable.  It's really hard to have a backup who can reach that baseline, so missing games is bad.  

So how many missed games and how many less seasons would make me take Eli over a superior QB?  I'm not sure, but I definitely have to think about it, and Romo isn't soooo much better that I wouldn't consider it. 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:26 AM, Yin-Yang said:

It's not about aggregate postseason stats, Eli Manning has delivered more key plays when his team has needed them most in the postseason. Manning also has more impressive road playoff wins to his credit. 

4 minutes ago, LaserFocus said:

It's not about aggregate postseason stats, Eli Manning has delivered more key plays when his team has needed them most in the postseason. Manning also has more impressive road playoff wins to his credit. 

I mean, I said that on the first page. 

Its just hard to overlook that Eli hasn’t won a playoff game where the defense gives up 21+, and in all of Romo’s playoff losses the Cowboys defense gives up just that amount or more. 

We can talk about clutch and all that, like I said Eli has largely come up in the bigger moments (boom-bust come postseason, honestly) but not only has Romo largely been the better quarterback but his postseason record lacks a lot more context than plenty of people are willing to admit. It’s always “did you get it done or not”, which is a fine mantra to have, it just lacks context.

Archived