Preseason Week 1: Post-game talk - Well that was fun

titans0021

Just started watching some of this game Byard is soooo gooood I really hope he becomes a big time Safety in this league he has all the potential in the world.

im not letting Ryan off the hook but the only reason the Jets scored that drive is because the Refs called that dumb penalty on Casey I didn't agree with the call I don't think he jumped at the QB I think he just pulled him down.

McCain didn't look good on the TD looked lost as usual 

Mariota showed good speed on the first play of the game rolling out keeping the play alive to find Matthews

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Just started watching some of this game Byard is soooo gooood I really hope he becomes a big time Safety in this league he has all the potential in the world.

im not letting Ryan off the hook but the only reason the Jets scored that drive is because the Refs called that dumb penalty on Casey I didn't agree with the call I don't think he jumped at the QB I think he just pulled him down.

McCain didn't look good on the TD looked lost as usual 

Mariota showed good speed on the first play of the game rolling out keeping the play alive to find Matthews

Are the hits on Taney as scary as I remember or were they kind of tame? Like I can barely remember anything from the game. 

14 minutes ago, Farsendor1 said:

Are the hits on Taney as scary as I remember or were they kind of tame? Like I can barely remember anything from the game.

There were some bad ones. The first hit he took was bad. There were two that were essentially horse collars. Any of those three could knock a quarterback out.

A couple of them were more on Tanney than the line though.

I only could handle watching the first half but pretty much along the lines of what everyone has covered off on this thread so far is true.

However, I noticed some were indicating Cyprien as a problem. He is one of my Adopt a Titans but I was actually thrilled when we signed him. It may be an older adage but you need a hammer in the middle in my opinion and he provides that. The few plays he was in that I noticed he at least a couple of times and it wasn't like he was thrown at or anything noticeable. He isn't going to be asked to cover all the time so people can relax. We will play him to his strengths and I think when the year is out he will make some impact plays for us. I like the potential of him and Byard and what they both bring.

Woods starting at nose tackle was interesting for sure. They paid Williams a good chunk of change. I feel like Woods is definitely making the team at this point and maybe he and Williams will rotate a lot.

Logan Ryan had a bad game but will rebound. I see him being better against physical receivers than speedy ones. Sims to me as solid and Jackson looked okay. Reed seemed to be all over which was nice.

O line was a dumpster fire and there were starters still out there when it remained poor in the first half so that needs to be addressed.

Overall if there was time to play like that the 1st pre season game is it so I am not going to overreact. I still think this season is going to be very exciting with a lot of winning.

• All of the strings of OL sucked.

• Team just looked flat and the Jets looked like they had all the energy in the world. We just looked like we were going through the motions.

• Ryan looked bad against some very blah receivers. He had tight coverage on one but still gave up a catch. Got burnt on one and the other he was playing off the The receiver caught in front of him. I still think he's nothing more than a #2 CB with his best role being in the slot. Adoree needs to get up to speed fast because we're going to need him on the outside.

• Kalan Reed looked pretty good.  He's not afraid to hit and stick his face into a receiver. Want to see him earlier next week instead of that bum McCain.

• Byard looked great in run support in his few snaps.

• Overall run D was solid but it should be against this bum OL and offense in general.

• Mariota did solid for his first game back and considering the OL didn't want to play. Hard to judge much as he barely played.

• Henry looked solid on some runs but pretty pathetic in some cases at pass-blocking. I think it's pretty well known why Demarco is the starter. Demarco does so much more for this team then some know. He's a beast in the passing game.

• Also Taywan Taylor gets open but the drops are a concern. You can see the playimaking ability but there were at least 2-3 drops.

• Jayon Brown wasn't making some plays and covering TEs. I'd like to see him play earlier and match up more against an actual great TE like Olsen this week. Play him against Olsen in practice and the game. Needs to get that experience.

• Overall I'm just pissed off about the OL. That was the reason this offense didn't put up many points. They were absolutely garbage. It's the first game and yea it's preseason but it's the same OL as last year and they dominated in the first preseason game last year. The OTs(Lewan and Conklin) were ok but the interior was a joke. Maybe they just are not hype for the 1st preseason game but good god, they were pathetic. 

I will keep saying it, but I loved how the defense looked overall. I don't recall many plays where they were just gashing the Titans outside of the bomb.  The defense really corralled them.  LBs were making tackles. The D-Line was penetrating and making moves. 

The OL needs more reps and work, to shake the rust off.  From the starters to the backups, they were off.

16 hours ago, titans0021 said:
I'm really intrigued by Reed. Good speed, not great size, but adequate. Looked really smooth yesterday. Probably tough to see him breaking through the top four corners, but he's also working at safety. Given how desperately we need safeties that can play the pass, I'd give him a shot, even at his size.

That may be the best piece of news I've read on here.  We need that 10th DB with flexibility to play CB or S (and STs of course).  It really increases his chances of making the active roster, beating out a guy like Riley.. or maybe giving us a legit option at FS behind Byard.

I have grown attached to the idea of Kalan Reed taking over Brice McCain's spot in our CB rotation. I hope that Kalan gets more valuable playing time earlier on in the game this week, and that Brice McCain has to earn his spot. He was a definite weak spot in our secondary last year and gave up the TD last week. I hope Kalan can keep putting good games together, so that it's impossible to cut him. Jeremy Boykins also played pretty well. I know these are young guys, but I'd much rather have guys like Reed/Boykins make the team as 4th/5th corners that we can develop over a veteran in McCain that has been bad going back to his time with Miami and has shown no signs of improving.

On 8/13/2017 at 5:58 PM, ragevsuall17 said:

but one of the biggest disappointments for me this past offseason was signing Williams at NT, instead of spending that money on CB/FS.  If Williams doesn't take that starting spot by the start of the season, and/or if he doesn't it turn it on during the season, it's one thing that will stick out.

I just want to remind everyone that MMQB had Sylvester as the fourth best player on our roster. As he's in a battle with a guy that was on the practice squad last year. Lol.

25 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I just want to remind everyone that MMQB had Sylvester as the fourth best player on our roster. As he's in a battle with a guy that was on the practice squad last year. Lol.

Maybe Woods is that good? See no problem with the battle. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Maybe Woods is that good? See no problem with the battle. 

Oh, I'm totally fine with the battle. Williams isn't a good football player. I was more laughing at the idea of Sylvester being the fourth best player on the team, he absolutely should have to earn a starting job. It was a pretty bad signing to begin with honestly.

31 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Oh, I'm totally fine with the battle. Williams isn't a good football player. I was more laughing at the idea of Sylvester being the fourth best player on the team, he absolutely should have to earn a starting job. It was a pretty bad signing to begin with honestly.

Gotcha.  
I didn't care for the signing but could have done worst, in my mind. Overpaid for a CB or something. 

Archived