Preseason Week 2 - GDT vs. Pittsburgh

Leader

19 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sounds good.  Give the rookie a shot at returns.

Havent seen him do squat - so I cant evaluate him on that basis - perhaps he'll be a killer at it. But given current roster conversations, I can see some logic to it - but dont get injured! In my mind at least, this players needed elsewhere......

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

Havent seen him do squat - so I cant evaluate him on that basis - perhaps he'll be a killer at it. But given current roster conversations, I can see some logic to it - but dont get injured! In my mind at least, this players needed elsewhere......

It's football.  There is a risk of injury on offense, defense and ST.  If you are afraid of injuries, then GB better be running the football more to protect Rodgers, Adams, etc.  Not much behind them for depth and injuries to them would be ......well, lets not go there.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

It's football.  There is a risk of injury on offense, defense and ST.  If you are afraid of injuries, then GB better be running the football more to protect Rodgers, Adams, etc.  Not much behind them for depth and injuries to them would be ......well, lets not go there.

Ohhhhh man. You didnt just play the injuries happen card did ya? I'm not afraid of anything. What I am though is sick and tired of injury depleted secondaries becoming the story and ruining another season.

Btw....I agree with your comment/thoughts regards AR and Davante - so I'm pleased neither of them will be returning kicks.

Add on: I'm figuring Alexander as our starting CB in the slot. He gets hurt returning KOs or punts - who's our slot DB?  The only one I'm thinking maybe about is Josh Jackson and not taking anything away from him.......I'm thinking him a bit on the "lanky" side for that role. Williams? No. House? No. Pipkens? Maybe - I guess. Regardless - Alexanders made for that job....he's too small for the boundary....and I'd prefer IF he gets hurt, it be while doing his job at that position. 

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Ohhhhh man. You didnt just play the injuries happen card did ya? I'm not afraid of anything. What I am though is sick and tired of injury depleted secondaries becoming the story and ruining another season.

Btw....I agree with your comment/thoughts regards AR and Davante - so I'm pleased neither of them will be returning kicks.

Add on: I'm figuring Alexander as our starting CB in the slot. He gets hurt returning KOs or punts - who's our slot DB?  The only one I'm thinking maybe about is Josh Jackson and not taking anything away from him.......I'm thinking him a bit on the "lanky" side for that role. Williams? No. House? No. Pipkens? Maybe - I guess. Regardless - Alexanders made for that job....he's too small for the boundary....and I'd prefer IF he gets hurt, it be while doing his job at that position. 

For someone not afraid of anything/injuries, that last paragraph sure seemed like it.

Is there a statistically significant higher injury risk at punt returner vs other secondary positions?

33 minutes ago, squire12 said:

For someone not afraid of anything/injuries, that last paragraph sure seemed like it.
Is there a statistically significant higher injury risk at punt returner vs other secondary positions?

LOL It's amazingly simple. I'd rather Alexander not be exposed to injury in the return game. He's not a big guy - I'm pegging him a day one starter - and he's already nursing some sort of groin injury. If we were deep in potential slot CBs - not a problem. You see alot of slot CBs on our roster and/or fighting for that position?

54 minutes ago, squire12 said:

3 minutes ago, Mendeleev said:

Is punt returner more frequently injured?  I believe those statistics noted special teams as a whole.

57 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is punt returner more frequently injured?  I believe those statistics noted special teams as a whole.

Special teams more than cornerback, by quite a bit. It makes sense then that punt returner would be more so than cornerback, unless you can somehow prove punt returners get injured less than other special team players.

Intuitively it makes sense. As a punter, you get tackled on every non-fair catch play. Most snaps, a CB will not be tackling someone. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Mendeleev said:

Special teams more than cornerback, by quite a bit. It makes sense then that punt returner would be more so than cornerback, unless you can somehow prove punt returners get injured less than other special team players.

Intuitively it makes sense. As a punter, you get tackled on every non-fair catch play. Most snaps, a CB will not be tackling someone. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

Without looking up stats I think that returners don't get hurt too often, it's more the bigger guys on special teams who are getting blocked from the side and tangled up. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Without looking up stats I think that returners don't get hurt too often, it's more the bigger guys on special teams who are getting blocked from the side and tangled up. 

This. I'm sitting here trying to remember when I saw a punt returner get hurt. The fair catch rule protects them pretty much. Most injuries on special teams that I recall are on the guys covering or blocking. See Goodson, Demitri. The Packers also had a TE injured badly covering a return, but I can't remember his name. The new helmet rule might also make returning punts safer. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Cheesehawk said:

Rarely seen it suggested, but Josh Jackson took some kick returns at Iowa. Never really looked explosive in that role, but he always had sure hands.  

I’d take a sure-handed, unexciting returner in the Micah Hyde mold that takes what’s there and hands the ball to the offense. Scott looks to be tilting the punt game our way anyway. 

Stop trying to rack your memories or Google punt return injury stats 

Now turn on the logical part of your brain. Now think about what a punt return is and how they are played when you return. You have a ton of guys running full speed trying to hit you with 40 yards to get up to speed.

But it's safe because I don't remember any injuries and there's some made up stat that says so.

Archived