Preseason Week 2 Bengals @ Cowboys

MrCincinnati

2 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Tate play more earlier....we really may have gotten a steal here.

I think everyone wants to see him clown on a #1 or #2 corner.  

Honestly with this WR group, we should see some 4 and 5 wide sets.

AJ, Tate on the outside

Ross, Malone and Boyd on the inside

You could even throw in Erickson in the slot.  He can do some damage in a minor role.  Then if Eifert's healthy, you can throw him in that set too and take one of the WR's out to give them a blow.  So long as the protection holds, someone should be open.

20 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Eifert in the middle, AJ and Tate in either corner, Ross and Boyd working the slots and Gio or Mixon as the safety valve is a lot of options in a red zone package.

Also too many men on the field :D

Don't worry, i got your meaning.

This is the most interesting off season of the Dalton era. I can't remember a time when there were so many changes. Not just an influx of players who can contribute right away but also coaches, co-ordinators and Offensive as well as Defensive schemes. I was most impressed with how smoothly the Offense functioned considering all of this. The routes seemed to be precise and AD was getting the ball out quickly and accurately whith a compact and confident release. As for Tate I think too much is being made if his lack of elite speed. History is rife with WRs who had slower 40 times but made up for it with other positives. Tate gets his separation vertically and when the ball hits his hands it sticks. He is a fighter and uses his body well. The 10-20 yard range will, IMO, be his area to feast. No LB and very few DBs will out fight him for the ball. I will be disappointed if he doesn't make the squad.   

58 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I will be livid if he doesn’t. Kid is going to be a special one 

I am too old to get livid about too much. I refuse to become that angry guy. Disappointed is about as far as I let myself go. I have seen it all too many times. The kid has the appearance to this point of being the real steal of the draft. He has everything but top speed, which I consider a bit over rated as the end all be all of a WR. But, lets see how he does against the #1 defenses with a AD throwing him the ball before he gets anointed. We will learn so much more from this game in Dallas. I hope all positions are pretty well set before PS game #3. The team needs to begin to gel before the season starts.

20 hours ago, theJ said:

I think everyone wants to see him clown on a #1 or #2 corner.  

Honestly with this WR group, we should see some 4 and 5 wide sets.

AJ, Tate on the outside

Ross, Malone and Boyd on the inside

You could even throw in Erickson in the slot.  He can do some damage in a minor role.  Then if Eifert's healthy, you can throw him in that set too and take one of the WR's out to give them a blow.  So long as the protection holds, someone should be open.

I actually like big body Tate in the slot running the seam ala Eifert-lite. It'll be tough for him to separate consistently on the perimeter. I think his true value lies in the congested areas of the field, especially inside the opponents 20.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I actually like big body Tate in the slot running the seam ala Eifert-lite. It'll be tough for him to separate consistently on the perimeter. I think his true value lies in the congested areas of the field, especially inside the opponents 20.

Honestly good receivers would be effective in both spots.  We've seen AJ create some problems in the slot.  Tate in the slot would be a problem for opposing defenses because he will body out a corner every time on short passes, but still has enough mobility as a WR to go over the top on a LB.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Alshon Jeffrey seems to do just fine on the outside.  So did Brandon Marshall.

Archived