The Box Office

Acgott

Well, it did it, folks: Avengers: Infinity War officially crosses $2 billion, becoming only the fourth movie ever to reach that benchmark.

Mark this one down in the history books. 

Good because it f'ing deserves it. 

Edited by KManX89
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Avengers: Endgame has already set the record for the largest worldwide opening weekend ever...through Friday.

It has shattered every record and will set a new domestic opening record that won't be even remotely challenged for years.

Peoplethought it might have a chance at $300 million coming into the weekend...it might end up hitting $350 million.

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Avengers: Endgame has already set the record for the largest worldwide opening weekend ever...through Friday.

It has shattered every record and will set a new domestic opening record that won't be even remotely challenged for years.

Peoplethought it might have a chance at $300 million coming into the weekend...it might end up hitting $350 million.

And again, it doesn't get the benefit of the holiday weekend bump that Ep7 got, either.

IW got past the 2B mark...you have to wonder if 2.5 or 3 is in reach globally for Endgame.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

And again, it doesn't get the benefit of the holiday weekend bump that Ep7 got, either.

IW got past the 2B mark...you have to wonder if 2.5 or 3 is in reach globally for Endgame.

$2.5 billion should be very doable.  This might top Avatar unless it's incredibly frontloaded.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

It broke every single record. Shattered most of them.

Basically the Q comes down to this - will viewers go back a 2nd time beyond hardcore fans?   If so, yeah it’s possible.  The A+ Cinemascore is promising, forget the critics (who do by large love it).   

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Basically the Q comes down to this - will viewers go back a 2nd time beyond hardcore fans?   If so, yeah it’s possible.  The A+ Cinemascore is promising, forget the critics (who do by large love it).   

I can’t think of the last movie I had time to go watch a 2nd time in theaters but I’ll for sure watch Endgame again in the next week

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I can’t think of the last movie I had time to go watch a 2nd time in theaters but I’ll for sure watch Endgame again in the next week

I watched IW twice, but only because i was out of town with some friends on a bachelor party and they wanted to see it.  I had to go again with my wife after i got back.

I'd go back and watch Endgame again in theaters, but little kids make that difficult.  I'm sure a lot of people will go back, and there are a ton of casual fans that will go in the coming weeks for the first time.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't think this ends up passing Star Wars: The Force Awakens as the all-time domestic box office champ. Unsurprisingly, it hasn't held up during the weekdays compared to TFA and won't have as strong of legs post-2nd weekend.

2 things work against Engame vs. TFA:

1.  TFA had 2 weeks of holidays where school was out.   Endgame doesn't.   The holiday effect is well known.

2.  Endgame faces much stiffer competition for viewer $$ - Detective Pikachu (yes seriously, globally it's big), Godzila and John Wick 3 are going to offer some serious competition for viewer $ vs. deciding to rewatch (Aladdin honestly looks like trash, I'm discounting it in a big way).     TFA faced a slate of movies that was entirely foregettable.

The thing it has in its favor - the closing of the 22-movie arc, and the label that it's an "event" that should be witnessed in theatres.   And given the density, it will tempt viewers to re-watch.  Thats' really the only way you can think to top 2.8B.    And the fact it didn't drop much from Wed to Thu shows it has legs.  But it's a tall order.

Now, if they're close, no doubt Disney and Marvel may in fact go on a limited nostalgia run this time next year... to get them over the top (much like how they strung out Black Panther to cross some key milestones).   But given the 2nd/3rd weekend #'s TFA put up, it's a tall order.   Still, it could be a lot closer than expected.

What it does this weekend will tell if it can beat Avatar or not. If it has the 2nd biggest box office weekend ever (very possible) it'll do it. If it's below $600m it'll have a tough time.

On 5/3/2019 at 5:53 PM, Bullet Club said:

What it does this weekend will tell if it can beat Avatar or not. If it has the 2nd biggest box office weekend ever (very possible) it'll do it. If it's below $600m it'll have a tough time.

Domestic or total. Because they're only like $600M behind and hit the 2B mark about 30 days before avatar did. 

I think it'll beat it.