new punter?

3rivers

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/8/18/17719948/reevaluation-of-the-punter-position-is-long-overdue-for-pittsburgh-steelers-jordan-berry-matt-wile

This has been tolerated for too long. It's time for a change, but will it happen?  

I am not aware of Berry having a broken foot  or anything serious . Thinking of such an injury after reading about Mike Mitchel having a broken foot last year , so a fan never knows what injuries a player is dealing with. 9_9

Just saw the Seahawks cut Jon Ryan. I know nothing about punters (really, why would you) but hes a vet name and looks like he has been consistent his whole career. If Berry is really on the hot seat, that's a nice name this time of year. 

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Just saw the Seahawks cut Jon Ryan. I know nothing about punters (really, why would you) but hes a vet name and looks like he has been consistent his whole career. If Berry is really on the hot seat, that's a nice name this time of year. 

Pretty sure this was done in favor of good quality youth. Jon Ryan needs to replace Berry imo

15 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Pretty sure this was done in favor of good quality youth. Jon Ryan needs to replace Berry imo

Berry has been terrible, so unless Ryan his asking way too much, it should happen . I don't know what happened to Berry, I thought he was OK for a while but recently is out of it. Maybe he has an injury that isn't being reported, oops, forget I said that;) 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Livewire said:

I about spit out my drink when Bob Pompeani said during the Panthers game that Berry has been a "real good punter" for the Steelers.

Hey, not every punter can be as good as Paul Ernster. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

What I don't get is why Berry made the roster to begin with. The other punter clearly outplayed him, and he's on another team doing just fine right now. The competition seemed to make Berry regress.

I thought Berry would have been replaced but he's still here and had great punt in the chiefs game that helped us to a safety.   If Berry can continue cuffing punts and we get safeties, it's better than allowing TD's as often as expected as of late.  Hoping for the best, because there are more serious issues with the team as of late. If Ray Guy is there in RD1 , do you draft him?  

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I thought Berry would have been replaced but he's still here and had great punt in the chiefs game that helped us to a safety.   If Berry can continue cuffing punts and we get safeties, it's better than allowing TD's as often as expected as of late.  Hoping for the best, because there are more serious issues with the team as of late. If Ray Guy is there in RD1 , do you draft him?  

He had one good punt in the game which the Chiefs mismanaged but were perfectly fine letting go because the safety didn't actually matter. The others were terrible. He directly set the Chiefs up for their first TD with his first godawful punt. I think they had a better punter in the building and let him go. So that's why I'm stuck asking why they kept Berry. And you can cite one punt, but he screwed put up the one just after that. And then there's the one the one the previous week that he booted right into the endzone from the other teams side of the field.

Let's also remember how terrible his punting was in the playoffs against Denver. If there was one single factor to blame for that loss outside the fumble from Toussaint, it was him. Frankly, he had a bigger impact on that game that Toussaint. The fumble impacted one drive and led to one score. His terrible punting in one game screwed up multiple series.

I think part of the issue is coaching (Belichick once upon a time was actually a special teams coach, and noticeably doesn't have big issues with punters and kickers). But Berry has regressed even further from last year after being outplayed in the games by another guy. Whatever they were trying to do, it didn't work.

Archived