Teddy Bridgewater

jetfuel34

Depending what happens this week, it's entirely possible we enter the season with all 3 QBs. I think Darnold will be the starter, with Teddy and McCown listed as "co-backups" out of respect to not label McCown as a 3rd string QB. 

As for starting Teddy over Darnold: usually I would agree this is the best scenario, but Darnold has proven both in camp and live action that he's ready. You don't see many rookie QBs with his field awareness... his ability to avoid mistakes, his escapability, and pinpoint accuracy are traits that have made him ready to play right away in this offense, even if it was previously determined that he wasn't ready. 

I've always said there are two types of QBs: those that need to sit for a year to process the information and learn how to function in an NFL offense (Rodgers/Mahomes), and those who are "thoroughbreds" that can take the field and learn through the mistakes without many future ramifications (Manning/Wentz). I believe Darnold is of the later ilk. 

11 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Don’t understand why some want to stunt Darnolds development to try and acquire a draft pick for Bridgewater lol

Sam has clearly earned the job. 

1. He didn't earn it. Teddy outplayed him. 

2. Sitting for a few weeks wont stunt his growth. It will give him a chance to see what it actually means to go through an NFL season and better prepare him for the linger nfl season

3. It will give the o-line a change to gel or get patched so he wo t be running for his life.

4. Its not just some draft pick you would get for bridgewater. It's a chance to surround Darnold with a better core which would help him succeed in the long run. I would hate for us to pull a Sanchez and constantly remove his better core players.

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

1. He didn't earn it. Teddy outplayed him. 

2. Sitting for a few weeks wont stunt his growth. It will give him a chance to see what it actually means to go through an NFL season and better prepare him for the linger nfl season

3. It will give the o-line a change to gel or get patched so he wo t be running for his life.

4. Its not just some draft pick you would get for bridgewater. It's a chance to surround Darnold with a better core which would help him succeed in the long run. I would hate for us to pull a Sanchez and constantly remove his better core players.

Teddy outplayed Darnold? That’s news to me. How many reps has Teddy gotten with starters? 

We aren’t getting some first or second round pick. Well get a third, MAYBE a second, but probably not. 

You play the best QB, period. By all accounts Darnold has been the best QB in camp, gotten the lions share of the reps, and showed excellent awareness against actual NFL starters. 

I’ve said for years on this forum that in TC and PS that when there’s a position battle and it’s even close... always go with the younger player. QB in this case is no different. Has Teddy outplayed Darnold? That’s debatable... but close enough that I say give the job to the younger long term player for this franchise. I expect Darnold to start Week 1 and hopefully never look back.

Mike Silver saying we're getting a 3rd. Not sure if that's it or if more. 

Either way, well done. To recoup a 3rd round pick for a player that we gave $500k guaranteed for just a few months ago, at a position already set for the short-and-long term, is a slam dunk. 

I love it. There aren't many players you can sign for $5M and get a 3rd rounder for. Played out perfectly for Macc. We'll have 7 picks going into the draft, the most cap space in the league, and a 21 year old franchise QB everyone is excited about.  I was hoping for a 2nd or a pass rusher, but I'm glad this worked out. 

Archived