Adrian Peterson (Signed)

LoganF89

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya I don’t understand saying the offense is much improved either, it’s mostly the same personnel.  If anything it’s worse than we had two years before when we had Jackson and Garçon.  

The only differences are these:

WR Richardson replaces Pryor/Grant - I think if Richardson stays healthy he’s likely a high end role player at best and not a star.

Roullier replaces Spencer Long - this experiment isn’t proven yet either.  Long was solid but not spectacular, at least he wasn’t a train wreck though.  Given what we’ve seen from Roullier I doubt he turns into a train wreck, so this is likely an upgrade here.

Whoever starts at RB will replace Kelley/Perine, unless it’s Kelley or Perine - it’s impossible to know what’s going to happen at RB at this point.  We will likely have similar production as last year regardless of who we trot out there, which is a disappointment.

Alex Smith replaces Cousins - even most supporters of the Smith acquisition defend it as a likely lateral move at the position (they champion him as being cheaper for the same production).  People will argue that Cousins struggled in end game situations, but Smith certainly doesn’t have a proven track record there when it matters (the playoffs) so I don’t know that makes much of a difference.  Also id argue improved play from the rest of the roster would keep any QB from being put in the situation where they had to win it themself all the time.

The only other change would be continued improved play from our in house youngsters like Scherff and Doctson.

I agree with the bolded. But that wasnt my statement. Im talking about a year to year improvement in the offense.

Im talking about the improvements made on last year.

We're healthier on the OL,

Have a better/deeper WR corps

Reed is healthy

And AP is literally better than Fat Rob or Perine.

The offense is most definitely better than last year. Which was a disaster for our offense in  terms of injuries and skill position production. 

But agreed, its worse (except at RB) than 2015/2016.

Not sure why my statement of optimism is being misinterpreted but I think by now Ive cleared up any confusion

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Look, I loved our former starting QB once he proved during the 2015 season that he should be the future of the franchise at the positon. Don’t forget, I wanted him signed long term after 2015 while others - including yourself, if I remember correctly - were fine with and even favored franchising him. I felt franchising him was a mistake, I thought he had earned a long term deal but if the only way they could keep him was to franchise him then I’d do it.

It seems to me, you and Thai’s motive with your last several posts is to find ways to diminish the new QB should he play well.

I just don’t get it. Why do you have to be upset if the new QB and the team do well?

And if the new QB does do well, why shouldn’t he get some of the credit?

Former QBs always did and almost every QB always does get most of the credit when their team does well. But, it seems to me you’re searching for a reason to not give him credit should the team do well, and I just have to wonder why you have to be so petty.

You just said:

Yes, both could be true but anyone can read between those lines as, you’re not going to give any credit to the QB and the offense even if they are improved over the ones lead by the former QB. 

Thai said:

Hmmm... Clearly a marker set to give everyone else credit, and to take credit away from Alex Smith if our offense is better.

Sure Turtle. Your'e not a mind reader.  I clearly stated my opinion on the state of the offense this year in comparison to last year. An opinion that is not unlike those expressed by others on this forum (including some statements youve made about upgrading at certain positions). But yeah, go with the fantasies you tell yourself about what I'm thinking.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I definitely agree that a majority of the offense is the same as last year. All I’m saying is that a majority of the time we have 3 WRs on the field. So, we didn’t re-sign one of those players and upgraded them with Richardson.

Is Richardson a new starter or not? I think the answer to that is clear. He’s a starter. That’s a new starter, meaning at the least we have 3 new starters and if AD beats out Kelley/Perine, that’s 4 new starters.

Don't look now, but you just made my case. Thanks Turtle!!

44 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

RB - can you honestly tell me that the RB corps hasn't improved with AP the potential starter?

TE - Reed is healthy

WR - yes, Richardson gives us the DJax-like WR to take the tops off of defenses. And we now have better depth.

OL - healthier (still lack a good LG)

Most of what you were talking about is health, and I am in complete agreement with that. If they can remain healthy, we should have more success. I do not think that is indicative of the supporting cast that the previous signal caller had, but it absolutely holds merit to our potential.

I was definitely more intrigued about Derrius Guice than I am about Adrian Peterson, but I’m a huge AP fan and I’m pulling for him double time now that he is a Redskin.

The jury is also out on Jordan Reed. I’m curious if he even knows what healthy is anymore. He has all-world potential when healthy. The problem is he doesn’t seem to stay healthy.

I am a firm believer that this team can and will win games. I think had a couple calls, a couple balls bounced differently last year, we would have been in the post season. I look forward to beating Dallas again too. It has been too long IMO since we were able to do that.

HTTR!

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Most of what you were talking about is health, and I am in complete agreement with that. If they can remain healthy, we should have more success. I do not think that is indicative of the supporting cast that the previous signal caller had, but it absolutely holds merit to our potential.

I was definitely more intrigued about Derrius Guice than I am about Adrian Peterson, but I’m a huge AP fan and I’m pulling for him double time now that he is a Redskin.

The jury is also out on Jordan Reed. I’m curious if he even knows what healthy is anymore. He has all-world potential when healthy. The problem is he doesn’t seem to stay healthy.

I am a firm believer that this team can and will win games. I think had a couple calls, a couple balls bounced differently last year, we would have been in the post season. I look forward to beating Dallas again too. It has been too long IMO since we were able to do that.

HTTR!

I wasn't saying that we swapped out 10 guys and replaced them with better starters...except at RB (regardless if its Guice or AP, we still improved) and WR (I think we definitely improved here with PRich, Sims, Quinn added to the Corps and Mo and Dox looking better than last year).

I'm merely saying that the overall offense should be much improved over last year and should bode well for our chances at winning season and yes, bode well for our new signal caller.

And yes, health is a BIG reason why.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I wasn't saying that we swapped out 10 guys and replaced them with better starters (except at RB - regardless if its Guice or AP, we still improved). I'm merely saying that the offense should be much improved over last year and should bode well for our chances at a winning season and yes, bode well for our new signal caller.

And yes, health is a BIG reason why.

Absolutely. Let’s just hope that we are through the worst of our injuries this year, otherwise we will be in for another long year.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Absolutely. Let’s just hope that we are through the worst of our injuries this year, otherwise we will be in for another long year.

Yeah, two RBs going out on their first carries in the first 2 preseason games needs to be the end of the injury plague

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Dude. Just stop. You're not a mind reader and imputing motives to people who post non-controversial posts (like mine - which not only agreed with you on the running game but stated my happiness about the offense), is pretty mind boggling stuff

Look, maybe I read it wrong but history of your opinon since Alex Smith was traded for suggests I didn’t. I guess it remains to be seen as the season goes on whether we’ll see more posts about how well Alex Smith is doing - if he does well - and how he looks like he did last year or if we’llsee posts like “we’ll he has so much talent around him and that’s why he’s doing well.” I hope it’s the former.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Look, maybe I read it wrong but history of your opinon since Alex Smith was traded for suggests I didn’t. I guess it remains to be seen as the season goes on whether we’ll see more posts about how we’ll Alex Smith is doing - if he does well - and how he looks like he did last year or if we’ll see posts like “we’ll he has so much talent around him and that’s why he’s doing well.” I hope it’s the former.

He's in a Redskins uni. I'll cheer for him to do well. If he does, I'll be happy and praise him. If he doesnt, I'll criticize him for

13 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

He's in a Redskins uni. I'll cheer for him to do well. If he does, I'll be happy and praise him. If he doesnt, I'll criticize him for

Yes, I know but I didn’t bring the “former QB” into this discussion. To me that seemed like a throw in comment at the end of your post and you said it for some reason, but it’s whatever. We’ll see what happens.

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I agree with the bolded. But that wasnt my statement. Im talking about a year to year improvement in the offense.

Im talking about the improvements made on last year.

We're healthier on the OL,

Have a better/deeper WR corps

Reed is healthy

And AP is literally better than Fat Rob or Perine.

The offense is most definitely better than last year. Which was a disaster for our offense in  terms of injuries and skill position production. 

But agreed, its worse (except at RB) than 2015/2016.

Not sure why my statement of optimism is being misinterpreted but I think by now Ive cleared up any confusion

Sure, before the season starts. At this point, we are just better on paper. But, we don’t know how the season will play out. This time last year we were thinking Pryor would go over 1000 yards and could be equivalent to what we got out of Garçon or Djax and could be better because of his size/speed combo - something we hadn’t had since Westbrook and Gardner - turns out we were wrong and he had hands like Gardner.

Also this time last year, people were fine with Rob Kelley because he had some good games in 2016. I think most were at least content with him and thought  he could have a season where he’d get near 1,000 yards. We also had drafted Perine and there was some optimism that he’d be an upgrade over Matt Jones, at the least.

40 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

See Exhibits A, B, C, D, E, F, G (RG3, Kirk, Rex, Donovan, Campbell, Beck, etc etc etc)

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

You really think Dan signed AP to sell tickets? Come on Doc. Even he knows Peterson isn’t moving the needle at this point. 

I agree with you. Personally, I don’t think Dan was much involved in this decision at all. To me, this seems like a pure football decision.

If this was just a Dan Snyder call, he would’ve offered Peterson a multi-year contract with a few million in guarantees. Then, he would’ve had his marketing team pump it up and market it as this great signing that was going to make our running game as good as it was in 2012 and 2013 with Alfred Morris.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’ve seen NONE of that.

Instead, they did the exact opposite. It’s a vet min contract with ZERO guarantees. Jay has said the reason Peterson was signed was because of how great he looked in his workout compared to the guys who worked out before him on Sunday and with him on Monday. Jay also said there’s absolutely NO guarantee that Peterson makes the team. Peterson has gotten no preferential treatment, which he would’ve gotten a decade ago when it was the Dan & Vinny show!

Jay has been crystal clear that they are going to evaluate all their healthy backs over the next two weeks to determine which ones they will keep. Jay has been extremely  clear about that! He couldn’t be any clearer!

I think most of us hope that Peterson looks better than Kelley and what we’ve seen so far out of Perine - which honestly shouldn’t be hard to do - and he makes the team and is just an average back for us who can average about 4 ypc on 10 to 15 carries a game and end up with 225-250 carries on the year with 900 to 1000 yards and 6 to 8 TDs.

Nothing too crazy, just average!

As we all know, Peterson wouldn’t have been on the Redskins radar if not for Guice  injury in week 1 of the preseason, the Marshall, Perine and Carter injuries in week 2 of the preseason and the fact that Rob Kelley has looked like a pile of steaming dog poo this preseason even compared to our other average backs like Perine, Marshall and Bibbs.

Archived