Some General Draft Help

AFF

6 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Adams. 

Even though I think there will be a positive uptick in TDs for Julio, I don't really expect anymore than 7-8 scores. Whereas I'm thinking Adams gets in the endzone anywhere between 10-15 times this year. 

To play devils advocate, does Adams lack of yardage scare you? Yeah he will likely score more TD’s, but are those (let’s say 4-5) TD’s worth more than 500-700 yards? Or do you expect a hefty uptick in yardage for Adams as well?

9 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Been doing more mock drafts on ESPN’s site and seen Julio ranked all the way down from 8 to now 16 causing him to fall to me. If it comes down to it, who would you take between him and Davante Adams? Standard scoring 

Standard I'd probably take Adams too. But PPR its Julio

8 hours ago, dtait93 said:

To play devils advocate, does Adams lack of yardage scare you? Yeah he will likely score more TD’s, but are those (let’s say 4-5) TD’s worth more than 500-700 yards? Or do you expect a hefty uptick in yardage for Adams as well?

Last year they were 600 yards apart but didnt he miss 2 games? I expect the gap to be able 300 yards or so plus Julio getting 1400 yards is pretty high too

What was everyone's draft strategy this year? Did you go into the draft telling yourself you need to go heavy on a specific position early? For instance I know in a standard league it's pretty important to snag RBs early and often. Or do you go into a draft relatively open minded and have the "Baller's ball" mindset and try taking BPA? 

I ask this question because Tonight is my last draft of the season and the one I'm the most nervous about, been with this crew for 10 years and It's the one league where my competitive juices nearly get the best of me every year. So I'm sitting here doing Mock drafts to prepare and I find myself stuck in the 2nd-4th round range. Sometimes if I have an early pick, there are really no RBs left that I like in the latter part of the 2nd, Mckinnon, Mixon, Freeman...But there are some legit pass catchers who I'd have a ton of confidence in...Gronk, Tyreek, Diggs....

Honestly I love the thought of waiting until the 4th or 5th round to grab your first WR and starting out your draft with say...

1. Bell
2. Freeman
3. Collins

And then grabbing either Josh Gordon in the 4th as an high upside guy or Mark Ingram to really solidify my RB group...and then just pounding those Receivers in the 5-9th rounds....Corey Davis, Sanders, Goodwin, Kupp...Cole, Stills

But am I overthinking and should I just let the draft play out and say hey..if Davante Adams is there for the taking in the 2nd, take him. Who cares if you have to settle with Rex Burkhead in your flex instead of a guy that you knows going to get 15-18 touches a game. 

9 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

What was everyone's draft strategy this year? Did you go into the draft telling yourself you need to go heavy on a specific position early? For instance I know in a standard league it's pretty important to snag RBs early and often. Or do you go into a draft relatively open minded and have the "Baller's ball" mindset and try taking BPA? 

I ask this question because Tonight is my last draft of the season and the one I'm the most nervous about, been with this crew for 10 years and It's the one league where my competitive juices nearly get the best of me every year. So I'm sitting here doing Mock drafts to prepare and I find myself stuck in the 2nd-4th round range. Sometimes if I have an early pick, there are really no RBs left that I like in the latter part of the 2nd, Mckinnon, Mixon, Freeman...But there are some legit pass catchers who I'd have a ton of confidence in...Gronk, Tyreek, Diggs....

Honestly I love the thought of waiting until the 4th or 5th round to grab your first WR and starting out your draft with say...

1. Bell
2. Freeman
3. Collins

And then grabbing either Josh Gordon in the 4th as an high upside guy or Mark Ingram to really solidify my RB group...and then just pounding those Receivers in the 5-9th rounds....Corey Davis, Sanders, Goodwin, Kupp...Cole, Stills

But am I overthinking and should I just let the draft play out and say hey..if Davante Adams is there for the taking in the 2nd, take him. Who cares if you have to settle with Rex Burkhead in your flex instead of a guy that you knows going to get 15-18 touches a game. 

I'm of the mindset that you should try and solidify your RB1 and RB2 with your first 3 picks unless you can just get ridiculous value going with a second WR. What pick are you?

5 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

I'm of the mindset that you should try and solidify your RB1 and RB2 with your first 3 picks unless you can just get ridiculous value going with a second WR. What pick are you?

Not sure yet. We draw names like 30 minutes before the draft tonight. And we do it a tad differently than I guess most leagues...When a name gets drawn, He gets to choose where he wants to pick. And that's another thing that scares me. If my name is drawn first...it would be stupid to pass on one of the top 4 guys in a Standard league right? (I'd probably go with pick #3 and just choose between DJ or Zeke) but I really like the thought of grabbing Fournette in the latter part of the first round and then swinging back around and snagging up Jordan Howard. But do I like that over say a David Johnson/Freeman combo?

But then you're playing the what if game, because WHAT IF Howard doesnt fall to me in the 2nd? There's a Bears fan in the league and what if he grabs pick 11 or 12 and snags him before it gets back to me? Then I look like a moron who passed on David Johnson for Leonard Fournette. 

Overthinking things..I know lol

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Not sure yet. We draw names like 30 minutes before the draft tonight. And we do it a tad differently than I guess most leagues...When a name gets drawn, He gets to choose where he wants to pick. And that's another thing that scares me. If my name is drawn first...it would be stupid to pass on one of the top 4 guys in a Standard league right? (I'd probably go with pick #3 and just choose between DJ or Zeke) but I really like the thought of grabbing Fournette in the latter part of the first round and then swinging back around and snagging up Jordan Howard. But do I like that over say a David Johnson/Freeman combo?

But then you're playing the what if game, because WHAT IF Howard doesnt fall to me in the 2nd? There's a Bears fan in the league and what if he grabs pick 11 or 12 and snags him before it gets back to me? Then I look like a moron who passed on David Johnson for Leonard Fournette. 

Overthinking things..I know lol

Yeah I think picks 3-4 is cream of the crop. Your guaranteed an elite RB1 in DJ or Zeke and when pick 21 or 22 come around Howard should easily be on the board if that's who your targeting and you can still get a very good WR at picks 28 and 29. It'll be easier to just lay it out so here is ESPN's (which I assume is the site your doing the mock drafts on) draft board rankings:

1)      Bell

2)      Gurley

3)      Johnson

4)      Zeke

5)      Brown

6)      Barkley

7)      Kamara

8)      Hopkins

9)      OBJ

10)   Hunt

11)   Cook

12)   Allen

13)   Fournette

14)   Gordon

15)   Thomas

16)   Julio

17)   Green

18)   McCaffrey

19)   Freeman

20)   Adams

If you end up with say pick 4 that means that if anybody ahead of you reaches for Howard then one of either Julio, Green, McCaffrey, Freeman or Adams will be at your disposal at 21. If it were me I would love either of those at 21 and if your dead set on going RB in the first 2 rounds and McCaffrey, Freeman and Howard are all off the board I would seriously consider taking Mixon who I think is going to have a better year than Howard anyways. 

Edit: Think I misread what you were saying about Howard. If you end up picking at the back end of the first round and go with Fournette, there is zero doubt in my mind that Howard will be there in the second if that's who you really want. But that would be a major reach. He won't last past the late 20's if your hoping to get him in the third round either so if you do end up picking in the latter part of the first round your probably not gonna have a chance to pick him.

8 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Bell
2. Freeman
3. Collins

I always say to get value every year but this year is more slanted again that than any other year I've done this just because if you draft late and go WR-WR you are done for unless you get crazy lucky. I'd say you absolutely need to get 1 RB in the 1st 2 picks

Just a heads-up for anyone still yet to draft:

If you're picking between McKinnon and another RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, I'd suggest hedging on the other guy because this could be another Jordy Nelson of two years ago situation where he goes down with an ACL injury late in the preseason and people aren't able to correct in time to salvage spending a premium pick on him and never getting a snap out of him.

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Cole and Clement 

Are you not that high on Cole?

Its not that I’m not high on him so much as being a Jaguars fan i wonder if I’m too close to it. Plus Parker always seems to be so highly touted every year but either he or Tannehill are hurt so it doesnt work out

Also, why Clement if you dont mind me asking?

26 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its not that I’m not high on him so much as being a Jaguars fan i wonder if I’m too close to it. Plus Parker always seems to be so highly touted every year but either he or Tannehill are hurt so it doesnt work out

Also, why Clement if you dont mind me asking?

Yeah I've had Parker before, and he just doesn't seem to have the work ethic to be a dominant WR in the NFL. As for Clement, I think he's the only guy that is fantasy relevant on that list. Everyone else needs an injury to happen. 

Archived