Preseason Week 3 Bengals @ Bills

MrCincinnati

The 3rd preseason game is always the most important, and it was suppose to be a somewhat revenge game for AJ McCarron who was expected to be the starter will now not compete in this game because of an injury. Regardless its a test against a Bills team that made the playoffs last season, despite people believing this team will be horrible this year.

GAMEDAY

Game Time will be this Sunday at 4 PM ET on FOX, so its a national televised game. It will be replayed one time on August 28th at 1 PM ET.

5 THINGS TO WATCH FOR

5. Running Game - Surprisingly the biggest weak spot to the preseason has been the running game to the team. Joe Mixon hasn't been that impressive but that's largely due to the run blocking. Guys like Tra Carson and Brian Hill have been impressive though and are fighting for a potential 4th spot at the running back position, and Mark Walton who was expected to be the #3 hasn't shown much to hold off those guys even though he's a lock. Regardless though, this 3rd game will be about Mixon and Bernard so I need to see more from them. No excuses not to get something going now since the Bills were one of the worst run defenses of 2017

4. Special Teams Competition - One of the biggest things going into special teams was going to be the battle for the KR/PR job. So far both Erickson and Phillips have been impressive, but only one can win it. At the same time, both could very well make the team and take turns winning it. The big surprise has been kicker Jon Brown, however he's not competition for a job since Randy Bullock is already the starter. You have to figure Brown will be someone they want to keep on the practice squad, but he may get picked up by another team instead. Lets just hope this doesn't turn into another Jake Elliott situation.

3. New Secondary Look - Now that George Iloka is no longer with team, there's lots in the secondary about what the pecking order is. Guys like Russell, Shaw, Phillips, Harris, Wilson, and Henderson who are competition to make the team now have much better odds. The biggest question now is rookie Jessie Bates who is more than likely going to start in Iloka's place, and while he is regarded as a ballhawk, he will need to be relightable as a tackler. Because of the Bills messy situation at QB right now though, this will be a good warmup for them.

2. Answers at Quarterback - Andy Dalton had a good performance against the Bears, but then showed his inconsistency by failing to score any points in the entire first half against the cowboys. Since the starters always play the longest in the 3rd game, we will get a nice long look at this offense as they play much longer. Meanwhile the backup QB postion is still up for grabs as Driskel struggled last game while Barkley played better than the first once, so the score appears to be 1-1 again between those two. It will likely come down to the final game, but whoever opens up as the #2 this game will be interesting, or maybe they add someone else after the cuts.

1. Pick Your Poison: DL Edition - While the first preseason game left me wanting more, the 2nd one was a lot better. There's a big reason the Defensive Line is going to be the strength of the team this year, and last game showed it. Atkins always will do what he does best, but everybody got a chance to show something, so guys like Willis, Lawson, and Hubbard have been showcasing there talent. Even guys like Billings and Glasgow were also impressive, and it just shows you the youth here will be what carries this team in the future. You have to wonder with the surprising cuts this month, Michael Johnson could very well be playing his last game in a Bengals uniform this Sunday.

1.  The offensive line.  Figure whoever starts on Sunday is in line to start week 1 against the Colts, barring some trade.  I think it will be Westerman and Hart, with Hopkins still pushing Johnson off the roster.  I've had Johnson cut in every mock offseason and roster prediction since January, and I 'm not changing my mind, barring a major injury.

2.  The WR rotation.  We know Green and Boyd are the top 2, but is it Malone or Ross in three WR sets.  Where does tate fit in, besides redzone packages and third down.  Does anyone really see Core getting a chance to sneak back in?  Practice squad for him, if the Browns don't pick him up.

3.  Like you said, the starting RBs need to get something going.  And will Walton please step up, like right now, before "injury" makes him a redshirt.  Carson and Hill are outplaying him by a full 100 yard field.  It's not even close right now.

4.  Does Brown keep kicking Sunday night?  If so, maybe there is no competiton, but did we assume the wrong guy?  I'd hate to develop him here the past two years to watch him kick for someone else once he gains more consistency

btw, been watching some Browns preseason games.  Chris Smith looks fantastic for them (#50 in the pic above).  I'm not too upset we let him go in FA, but I am ticked we didn't give him more playing at DE last season.  Marvin Lewis just makes the dumbest possible playing time decisions.  I wish we could get a Urban Myer type suspension for him where he can lead practice but not games, lol...

19 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

btw, been watching some Browns preseason games.  Chris Smith looks fantastic for them (#50 in the pic above).  I'm not too upset we let him go in FA, but I am ticked we didn't give him more playing at DE last season.  Marvin Lewis just makes the dumbest possible playing time decisions.  I wish we could get a Urban Myer type suspension for him where he can lead practice but not games, lol...

I'm going to be upset if they keep MJ90 and do the Jeremy Hill pity start thing again.  I just don't understand why this team does this again and again and again.  Just move on already!

On 8/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, MrCincinnati said:

Michael Johnson could very well be playing his last game in a Bengals uniform this Sunday.

It only makes sense.

So you know he'll be out there week 1 as the starter, soaking up 80% of the snaps.  Hubbard inactive.

On 8/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, TheVillain112 said:

Hoping we sit AJ Green and Geno Atkins.  No need to risk our big dogs that are 100% proven anymore this preseason, IMO...

Geno need to be out there so the others like Lawson, Billings and Hubbard can work together on rushing schemes and things like delayed blitzes. They need to work as a unit and these are young guys who are still developing. AJ? I would play him for a quarter or so but we have a lot of WR competition that needs to be given a final look. I am still interested in seeing what Tate has to offer.

Archived