Eli Harold traded to lions

49erurtaza

3 minutes ago, Geek said:

I'm pretty sure 2010 was McCloughan's draft class and not Baalke's considering it was actually not terrible.

Baalke made all the picks. And it's not like Baalke wasn't involved in the draft process. And all the trade ups and trade downs a GM does is on them and only them. Not like Scott McCloughan made the trade up to get Anthony Davis.

12 minutes ago, Geek said:

I'm pretty sure 2010 was McCloughan's draft class and not Baalke's considering it was actually not terrible.

I have no doubt that it was based a lot on McC's board, though the choices were pretty clearly Baalke / Singletary's. They still have to make those choices. I'm pretty sure I remember Singletary being in love with Taylor Mays during the pre draft process. I think he took him out to dinner and we met with him several times, for example

I've always given Trent just partial credit for 2010. He was indeed the guy turning in the names. But scouting and ranking is a year long process and they were a long way down that road before he took over the top spot. He might have changed some things, but I'd bet the board didn't undergo huge changes.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have no doubt that it was based a lot on McC's board, though the choices were pretty clearly Baalke / Singletary's. They still have to make those choices. I'm pretty sure I remember Singletary being in love with Taylor Mays during the pre draft process. I think he took him out to dinner and we met with him several times, for example

That's the thing. Having a big board is all good and dandy, but then eventually you got outside the big board and make decisions completely absent of it. Like 49ers trading up for Williams. He wasn't even on the big board up until the day before the draft or maybe still wasn't on it and then Shanny urges Lynch to trade up for him. I'm sure Shanny did the same with Beathard. And again, the trade ups and trade downs? How can you plan for that?

Just now, big9erfan said:

I've always given Trent just partial credit for 2010. He was indeed the guy turning in the names. But scouting and ranking is a year long process and they were a long way down that road before he took over the top spot. He might have changed some things, but I'd bet the board didn't undergo huge changes.

The thing is, it's not like he wasn't part of that year long process. He was part of helping McCloughan put the big board up. He was doing scouting himself for the entire year. It would be different if lets say someone outside of the team got hired a week or two before the draft.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's the thing. Having a big board is all good and dandy, but then eventually you got outside the big board and make decisions completely absent of it. Like 49ers trading up for Williams. He wasn't even on the big board up until the day before the draft or maybe still wasn't on it and then Shanny urges Lynch to trade up for him. I'm sure Shanny did the same with Beathard. And again, the trade ups and trade downs? How can you plan for that?

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, Geek said:

100% this. That class had the earmarks of a McCloughan draft and board. Despite major needs, Baalke only ever took one other offensive lineman in the top 3 rounds, so 2010 is completely out of character. When Iupati and Boone came up for extensions, he bypassed them both. He didn't draft first round guys to replace them, either. He tried to replace them with mid-round bargains coming off of injury.

Being the guy to make the picks based upon an already set board doesn't impress me. When it came time to set boards himself, he completely screwed it up. 

The only thing that looked like Baalke in 2010 was unnecessarily trading up to select a guy that decided to quit football in the prime of his career. That does have a decidedly Baalke ring to it, since all his best picks had commitment or off-field issues. 

8 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

100% this. That class had the earmarks of a McCloughan draft and board. Despite major needs, Baalke only ever took one other offensive lineman in the top 3 rounds, so 2010 is completely out of character. When Iupati and Boone came up for extensions, he bypassed them both. He didn't draft first round guys to replace them, either. He tried to replace them with mid-round bargains coming off of injury.

Being the guy to make the picks based upon an already set board doesn't impress me. When it came time to set boards himself, he completely screwed it up. 

The only thing that looked like Baalke in 2010 was unnecessarily trading up to select a guy that decided to quit football in the prime of his career. That does have a decidedly Baalke ring to it, since all his best picks had commitment or off-field issues. 

The bolded isn't accurate - he took Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin in the third round of 2014, and Joshua Garnett in round 1 in 2016.

And for the first half of Baalke's tenure, the offensive line was largely set, so I don't think you can look at the draft history and say taking two offensive linemen was out of character just because he limited his offensive line selections after that.  The wheels didn't really start coming off on the offensive line until 2015. The 2009 offensive line was terribad, and needed to be overhauled, so that's what he did. Baalke was pretty big about drafting for need in the first round. 12 - AJ jenkins as we were coming off a season in which we lost a playoff game where our receivers managed one catch for less than 10 yards in the final game and were playing the likes of Brett Swain, 2013 - Eric Reid, immediately following the loss of Goldson, 2014 Jimmie Ward, immediately following the loss of Whitner and Rogers.  2015 was Armstead, immediately following the retirement of Justin Smith. You can make the claim that Buckner wasn't necessarily a needs based pick, though the defensive line wasn't great, but there was a rather large drop off in talent that year after Buckner in my opinion, and he very much met the Baalke physical profile, so that makes sense. And he still made the trade up for Garnett that year after the horrific offensive line in 15.

I think we can mostly agree that 2013 was downright the worst. Out of the 8 players we drafted, none are with the team anymore. 5 of them are free agents or out of the league completely. Only Marcus Cooper (cut in 2013) Vance McDonald (traded to Steelers) and Tank Carradine (signed with Raiders) are still in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, mw2noobbuster said:

I think we can mostly agree that 2013 was downright the worst. Out of the 8 players we drafted, none are with the team anymore. 5 of them are free agents or out of the league completely. Only Marcus Cooper (cut in 2013) Vance McDonald (traded to Steelers) and Tank Carradine (signed with Raiders) are still in the NFL.

Not even close. 2012 was by far the worst. 2013 at least netted Reid, a 5 year starter with the team. Dial was also useful rotational piece, and Vance is a competent TE2 to be honest, if nothing else but for his blocking. 2012's entire draft class was gone by year 3 I'm pretty sure and we didn't even get a solid rotational player. Celek was the best guy we picked up and he was a UDFA. The second best guy we got was probably Tony Jerrod Eddie, who was also a udfa. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Not even close. 2012 was by far the worst. 2013 at least netted Reid, a 5 year starter with the team. Dial was also useful rotational piece, and Vance is a competent TE2 to be honest, if nothing else but for his blocking. 2012's entire draft class was gone by year 3 I'm pretty sure and we didn't even get a solid rotational player. Celek was the best guy we picked up and he was a UDFA. The second best guy we got was probably Tony Jerrod Eddie, who was also a udfa. 

Yeah, true. To be honest, I kind of forgot about 2012, can you blame me? :S  

3 hours ago, Forge said:

As a side note, it's crazy how long Celek has stuck with the team/league despite being largely irrelevant and through two big regime changes. Only he and Staley are even still on the roster from the 2012 Super Bowl team. 

54 minutes ago, UofMfan909 said:

As a side note, it's crazy how long Celek has stuck with the team/league despite being largely irrelevant and through two big regime changes. Only he and Staley are even still on the roster from the 2012 Super Bowl team. 

I'm still really surprised we didn't draft a TE in a very deep class. 

Also, welcome back @UofMfan909

Archived