Preseason WK3: Broncos @ Redskins

turtle28

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Coincidence in the performances of the two teams in the regular seasons & playoffs over the last 19 years, I think not!

Jay Gruden isn’t long for head coaching. This will be his last season here. And the sad thing is I actually like the guy but I’ve seen enough to realize this isn’t going anywhere. They prolonged this by one year too many and compounded that mistake by trading for Smith. Oh well. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well, that game was a complete dud

-Alex Smith looked bad. There’s simply no way around this. He held the ball too long. He wasn’t trusting his receivers and he was constantly looking to backs and TEs to dump the ball off. This is the guy we all feared showing up as opposed to the gunslinger from last year. Let’s hope we don’t see much more of this version.

-Adrian Peterson flat out looked amazing. You have to take into account that he just got here and was running all over Denver. I know we’re told to believe 30-year old RBs are done but he just looked like Adrian Peterson to me. Big, strong, fast. Kelley has lost his job. 

-Daron Payne is a monster. Watching him slide the guard down the line and then tossing him out of the way to make the tackle was beautiful. In my opinion he’s already our best defender. I think we have an elite defensive lineman on our hands. 

-Fabian Moreau has impressed me. He’s young and has a lot to learn but he’s flashing the ability that had him in the first round before he got hurt. 

-Trey Quinn just doesn’t impress me. He’s not fast and he has almost no wiggle in the open field. I know some are pigeonholing him into the slot spot behind Crowder but I actually think he gets cut and moved to the practice squad.

-Troy Apke is terrible. I’m fully aware he’s a major work in progress and the canvas is impressive but he has to harness that ability. At this point he can’t cover and his tackling is woeful. Luckily for him his coach is one of the best in the business. 

-Geron Christian is bad. I know people see long arms and athleticism but sheesh he needs work. I’m firmly in the camp that believes this guy has no NFL future and will bounce around the league as a back up. 

-Ryan Anderson is terrible. Somehow he’s managed to be worse than Trent Murphy. They need to try and move him to the middle because he cannot rush the passer at all. If it were me I’d be trying to move him in a trade or just flat out cut him. 

-Shaun Lauvao surprisingly looked good. He was opening holes and moving defenders off the ball with ease. I have no idea why but he looked good. 

-Phil Taylor is impressive. Just considering what he’s up against it’s amazing to see him out there making a difference. He should make the team simply because he’s better than Hood.

-Martrell Spaight has been everywhere this preseason. It could just be the competition he’s facing or he’s finally developing into a damn good LB. Either way he’s certainly improved as a player. I’d almost consider talks about a new contract with him.

Finally, I don’t understand what Jay was thinking playing the starters for such a short amount of time? Alex clearly needs the work and pulling him when he was playing so poorly was disappointing. It would’ve been nice to see them let him lead a TD drive just for confidence sakes. Oh well, on to week 4. 

I'm gonna agree with @turtle28 on most of his response to you with the exception of Alex (jury is still out on him)

And also gonna agree with you on pretty much everything with the exception of Quinn. I think he's fast enough and has sure hands and I definitely saw a bit of wiggle to him (even said it in the GDT). Gonna be an interesting 4th game for sure. Hope he makes it. But if not, I want him on the PS

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm gonna agree with @turtle28 on most of his response to you with the exception of Alex (jury is still out on him)

And also gonna agree with you on pretty much everything with the exception of Quinn. I think he's fast enough and has sure hands and I definitely saw a bit of wiggle to him (even said it in the GDT). Gonna be an interesting 4th game for sure. Hope he makes it. But if not, I want him on the PS

Of course the jury is still out on Alex, but we are just evaluating less a half of one preseason game. 

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Of course the jury is still out on Alex, but we are just evaluating less a half of one preseason game. 

Which, given that there's only 1 game left in the preseason and usually 2nd, 3rd, 4th strings play in that game and starters, sit...I think we can all agree that this is troubling.

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Which, given that there's only 1 game left in the preseason and usually 2nd, 3rd, 4th strings play in that game and starters, sit...I think we can all agree that this is troubling.

Honestly, of all the issues I have with Alex Smith, him not getting enough preseason snaps is not one of them.  The dude has been in the league 10+ years, he will be ready to play.  

Now I think he’s going to be Captain checkdown all year, but that’s another argument.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:22 AM, turtle28 said:

It’s one preseason game where he only played 4 series. Also, Crowder, CT and Reed didn’t play. Those are this teams’ chain movers. 

There are plenty of times when a passing game looks like trash for a quarter or half but then gets in sync in the second half. That’s happened with our passing game countless times the last 5 years.

CT and Reed are not reliable for health concerns. 

Smith didnt fit balls in windows. He didnt get it down the field. Richardson isn't really the deep threat we hoped.

The bottom line is that Smith looks every but the Captain Check Down that everyone complained about with Kirk Cousins. Between the reduction in capability at the QB position and Gruden's playcalling, the offense is not good.

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

It wasn’t good, it was worrisome but at the same time they had one drive last week and looked great. If we had Peterson last week, I think we score a TD on that drive vs the Jets bc of the dynamic he adds as a red zone runner to our offense and in the least defenses have to honor that.

On top of all that I would add that the Broncos D - when healthy like they are now - is one of the best in the nfl. They’re top 3 edge pass rushers are more athletic and faster than our top 2, their 2 other LBs are better in coverage and their secondary is better than ours. 

The Broncos D is legit. We won’t face too many of their caliber during the year outside of the Eagles, Jags and Texans.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

CT and Reed are not reliable for health concerns. 

Smith didnt fit balls in windows. He didnt get it down the field. Richardson isn't really the deep threat we hoped.

The bottom line is that Smith looks every but the Captain Check Down that everyone complained about with Kirk Cousins. Between the reduction in capability at the QB position and Gruden's playcalling, the offense is not good.

Wow! Can I have that crystal ball? I can’t believe you can foreshadow a whole season off of 4 drives...

Very impressive 

Archived