What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

8 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

For reference, I'm paying absurdly cheap rent at a friend's house but I recently came to the conclusion that I want to live closer to work. My current commute is over 2 hours per day and has very little flexibility. I want to live somewhere where it'll be easier to meet people, date, and do whatever the hell people my age do. Those things just aren't possible in my outer ring suburb. I guess I didn't look into buying a condo, I'm sure that's a possibility but the downpayment is still a problem unless I go the FHA+PMI route

Yeah a 2 hour commute is brutal man. That'd be something I would want to really cut down, so that would be worthwhile to me.

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah a 2 hour commute is brutal man. That'd be something I would want to really cut down, so that would be worthwhile to me.

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not. There's always that one guy that'll come back with 'I commuted 3 hours to work, both ways... in the snow and up hill!" And also because for the last 3 years, I've lied and convinced myself that it's not that bad. 

5 hours ago, UKTexans said:

And toilet paper, the one thing as a student I wasn't willing to compromise on.

Mattress, shoes, and toilet paper are the things you should never cheap out on. Find deals on the best you can afford, but never go cheap on those things. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I can't tell if you're being sincere or not. There's always that one guy that'll come back with 'I commuted 3 hours to work, both ways... in the snow and up hill!" And also because for the last 3 years, I've lied and convinced myself that it's not that bad. 

Are you talking 2 hours each way? Because that is WAY too long of a commute for me to be comfortable with each day (1/6th of your time in the car if you're lucky and 1/4th of your awake time). Even if it is 1 hour each way, that's on the edge of my comfort zone daily. If someone tries to tell you that they like a 3 hour commute each way, they are avoiding being home for some reason. That's a sad life if you ask me.

13 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Sincere. You only get like 6 hours of free time per workday as-is, and that chops off 33% of it.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you live where that's feasible and convenient enough, 100%. Way better for the environment and your wallet.

Thing I miss most after moving out of Chicago and to the burbs.  Wife and I only needed a single car in the city, and we rarely used it.  Trains, buses, uber, and just plain walking were fine.  Only needed the car when going to the burbs or heavy purchases...

37 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Are you talking 2 hours each way? Because that is WAY too long of a commute for me to be comfortable with each day (1/6th of your time in the car if you're lucky and 1/4th of your awake time). Even if it is 1 hour each way, that's on the edge of my comfort zone daily. If someone tries to tell you that they like a 3 hour commute each way, they are avoiding being home for some reason. That's a sad life if you ask me.

I was definitely exaggerating for that 3 hour bit but I've been timing it all week and my actual commute is even longer than I thought it was. 1 hour and 5-10 minutes to get to work and 1 hour and 10-15 minutes to get home. Coming home in the afternoon is slightly longer due to more traffic I guess. I do take an express bus from my suburb but I don't think driving myself would save me any time on a normal day, if anything, driving would only be shorter on a handful of days of the year, at a significantly higher cost in both dollars and peace of mind. 

I'm kind of just arguing with myself here. I've mostly considered myself a frugal person and trying to justify to myself that spending more money isn't an easy task. 

25 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Thing I miss most after moving out of Chicago and to the burbs.  Wife and I only needed a single car in the city, and we rarely used it.  Trains, buses, uber, and just plain walking were fine.  Only needed the car when going to the burbs or heavy purchases...

I miss it too...