What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I didn’t say I’d want to do it for the sport of it, it’s pest control.

The population of feral hogs continues to explode and cause about 2.5 BILLION worth of damage a year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/03/hogs-run-wild-but-usda-doubling-efforts-to-fight-problem.html

You’re not even required to have a hunting license in some circumstances.

In Washington our fisheries are more protected than our wild game.

People make a living catching squawfish as pest control (probably not the PC name but that's what every single person I know calls them, if you say "Northern Pikeminnow" people think you're talking about Pike which is a completely different fish).  Last I checked you get $3 per fish for the first 100 you catch, then $4 per fish for then next 100, then it tops out at $5 per fish once you've turned in 200. During the summer it bulges to like $8 per fish. 

Some of the fish have tags worth even more money, some of them thousands of dollars.

All the money out is tracked, you have to register with the WDFW to get any money, this info is made public.

So far in 2019 the leader has made $24,000. 

2018 - $71k

2017- $83k

2016- $119k

2015- $100k

2014- $73k

http://www.pikeminnow.org/catch-data/top-twenty-anglers/2019-top-twenty-anglers

There's money out there if people want to commit full time to this. Usually about 25 people per year make enough to possibly live on but I have no idea how many people try to make a living off of it. Could be a side gig for some of the heavy hitters if they know the best spots, could be a full time job for some of the low end earners if they're not good at it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dome said:

Most hunting around here is driving around until a deer jumps in front of you, then you hang out the drivers window and blast it with an assault rifle 

not sporting or fair (or legal), almost no skill involved when all you’re doing is looking down a scope that’s accurate to 200 yards.

but damn it’s tasty 

Oh, yes.  Venison is my favorite meat.  I'd take it over beef any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  My brother thinks (and I agree) that the best thing I've ever cooked was a venison meatloaf with sage and fruit a few years ago.  My uncle is a taxidermist, so I used to get a ton of deer jerky every year around Christmas.

Where I live, the most common BS hunting method is putting corn or salt licks out for most of the year until the cutoff like three months before bow season starts.  So many cops I work with do that, then post all these pictures when they shoot an 8 pointer from their tree stand.

Personally, I prefer fishing to hunting, and it's not close.  Only gone hunting a handful of times, and never killed a deer myself.  I do love the meat when I can get it though.

12 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Nutria is another problem animal like that.

https://www.nutria.com/site9.php

$6 for every one you kill.  Had to raise it from $5 recently as they couldn’t control them.

I also hear nutria is tasty.

50 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oh, yes.  Venison is my favorite meat.  I'd take it over beef any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  My brother thinks (and I agree) that the best thing I've ever cooked was a venison meatloaf with sage and fruit a few years ago.  My uncle is a taxidermist, so I used to get a ton of deer jerky every year around Christmas.

Where I live, the most common BS hunting method is putting corn or salt licks out for most of the year until the cutoff like three months before bow season starts.  So many cops I work with do that, then post all these pictures when they shoot an 8 pointer from their tree stand.

Personally, I prefer fishing to hunting, and it's not close.  Only gone hunting a handful of times, and never killed a deer myself.  I do love the meat when I can get it though.

As far as deer hunting, I think the old Ron White joke about being able to bag a deer in a van driving 55 down the highway with the lights on and the horn blowing pretty much sums up what I think about it.  As he says, it’s not exactly an elusive creature.

50 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I also hear nutria is tasty.

I honestly had no clue people at them.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as deer hunting, I think the old Ron White joke about being able to bag a deer in a van driving 55 down the highway with the lights on and the horn blowing pretty much sums up what I think about it.  As he says, it’s not exactly an elusive creature.

Some of my acquaintances from HS got in big trouble last year for taking some assault rifles into the woods and laying waste to anything that moved. 

They eat everything they kill which makes it more ethical than trophy hunting IMO but the prosecutor didn’t really care and took their licenses away for 5 years lmao 

Just now, Dome said:

Some of my acquaintances from HS got in big trouble last year for taking some assault rifles into the woods and laying waste to anything that moved. 

They eat everything they kill which makes it more ethical than trophy hunting IMO but the prosecutor didn’t really care and took their licenses away for 5 years lmao 

I agree with the prosecutor tbh.

There’s a reason that we have specific hunting seasons, tag limits, etc.  Fish and Game work year round to make sure wildlife populations are well managed and plan accordingly.  Bros doing stuff like this isn’t sporting, isn’t pest control,  herd management, etc., it’s poaching tbh.  The fact that they ate the animals doesn’t mean it isn’t poaching.  

If all you wanna do is kill stuff, there’s plenty of stuff that needs killin’ (as we’ve discussed). Ignoring laws and doing whatever you damn well please shouldn’t be tolerated imo, it sets a terrible precedent.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dome said:

Most hunting around here is driving around until a deer jumps in front of you, then you hang out the drivers window and blast it with an assault rifle 

not sporting or fair (or legal), almost no skill involved when all you’re doing is looking down a scope that’s accurate to 200 yards.

but damn it’s tasty 

Cow and Chicken hunting is a much tougher out. Your neck of the woods needs to up its hunt game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree with the prosecutor tbh.

There’s a reason that we have specific hunting seasons, tag limits, etc.  Fish and Game work year round to make sure wildlife populations are well managed and plan accordingly.  Bros doing stuff like this isn’t sporting, isn’t pest control,  herd management, etc., it’s poaching tbh.  The fact that they ate the animals doesn’t mean it isn’t poaching.  

If all you wanna do is kill stuff, there’s plenty of stuff that needs killin’ (as we’ve discussed). Ignoring laws and doing whatever you damn well please shouldn’t be tolerated imo, it sets a terrible precedent.

Oh I agree with him too... I was glad when they got caught. The tone of my post might not have reflected that.

but some poachers around here just kill, take a picture, maybe cut off the horns and leave. 

when you compare guys like that to poachers who are actually harvesting all the meat, the latter are much better if there is such a thing as the lesser of two evils 

The irony is the guys who keep the meat are usually the ones who get caught because the stuff they keep is used as evidence where as the guys who just leave the deer out in the forest have almost nothing linking them to poaching 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Cow and Chicken hunting is a much tougher out. Your neck of the woods needs to up its hunt game. 

I do like the idea of dressing in a camo gillie suit and stalking through the meat department 

16 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

how are you meant to cook venison? i’d like to buy some one day but heard it’s very easily spoiled 

Spoiled as in turns rotten? Or spoiled as in it got cooked wrong and was ruined?

The fat on game meat spoils a lot faster than the fat on beef and pork, based on what I've experienced. Luckily most game cuts have had all the fat trimmed off already, probably because of this. If you're buying ground game meat that isn't super lean (super lean usually means <7% fat) there's a good chance it's actually beef fat or pork fat mixed in with the game meat to get the fat content up and that'll help it last a bit longer in your fridge if you can't cook it the same day you buy it.

Hamburgers and stews are my two favorite ways to have venison. Stir fry strips with local mushrooms, jerky, sausage, meat pies, it's all good. A venison steak really doesn't do all that much for me but might for you, but I like it in pretty much any other preparation. 

Also if you're not an American there's a chance none of this applies to you because I don't know how ya'll do things in upsidedown land. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Spoiled as in turns rotten? Or spoiled as in it got cooked wrong and was ruined?

The fat on game meat spoils a lot faster than the fat on beef and pork, based on what I've experienced. Luckily most game cuts have had all the fat trimmed off already, probably because of this. If you're buying ground game meat that isn't super lean (super lean usually means <7% fat) there's a good chance it's actually beef fat or pork fat mixed in with the game meat to get the fat content up and that'll help it last a bit longer in your fridge if you can't cook it the same day you buy it.

Hamburgers and stews are my two favorite ways to have venison. Stir fry strips with local mushrooms, jerky, sausage, meat pies, it's all good. A venison steak really doesn't do all that much for me but might for you, but I like it in pretty much any other preparation. 

Venison steaks are the bomb. Jerky is really good too.

Venison is extremely lean, so keep that in mind when you’re cooking it. It can dry out on you if you do it wrong.

Other than that, you can do anything with it you can do with beef.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dome said:

Stir fry strips with local mushrooms, jerky, sausage, meat pies,

That's a lot of meats for one stir fry.