What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Either we got dumber over the last few decades or dumb people used to have eating figured out 50 years ago.

So why did people apparently used to have it figured out? 

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Sure. Pick off the Parmesan cheese. Pick off the breaded chicken. Pick off the bacon. Pick off the croutons. Don’t put on the dressing. And eat lettuce and kale and nothing else and you got yourself a healthy meal. Definitely something people want to eat.

Or just eat lighter the rest of the day.

Again, there is an option B besides throwing your hands in the air and ordering XXXL stretch pants.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What point are you dancing around here?

You said either people are dumber or that they used to have it figured out. I assume you’re suggesting they used to know, and not that everyone has become stupid. So why did people understand nutrition 50 years ago and not today? That’s what you’re suggesting, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Either we got dumber over the last few decades or dumb people used to have eating figured out 50 years ago.

Or unhealthy foods have become 1) more readily available and 2) cheaper (again, in terms of convenient options). 50 years ago people weren't buying their food in boxes stuffed with preservatives and whatnot, people cooked more often and presumably leaned on basic staples more. 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Obesity is hard to achieve eating decent food and reasons portions. Sure that yogurt may not be great, but eating that everyday and avoiding obvious blunders goes a long way.

I hear ya, but the yogurt is just one example. How about Gatorade as a "sports drink"? That must be healthy right, I mean LeBron drinks it. The electrolytes are important, forget about the added sugar. And milk, it does the body good right? Also a ton of sugar added..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

A simple calories in/calories out will work for almost all of the population. IIFYM uses this exact principle and folks do fine with it.

This couldn’t be simpler, if you’re gaining or not losing weight, eat less.  Whatever you’re eating, eat less of it. Do that until the scale moves in the right direction, which it will eventually, for literally everyone.

And that brings me back to what i've said before, Some people's BMR's would put them at a point where eating more than 1200 calories a day holds them at their current weight or with very little loss. And when you've been eating for years at 2.5 to 3K a day, cutting out that much is extremely hard.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Carbs and fat ratios, Keto, etc., is relevant for fit people trying to cut fat.

Some medical conditions change how people process various things like proteins, fats, and carbs though. For example, women with PCOS need to cutback on carbs specifically because they (somehow) effect their hormone levels which cause PCOS which lowers their BMR drastically.

11 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Sure. Pick off the Parmesan cheese. Pick off the breaded chicken. Pick off the bacon. Pick off the croutons. Don’t put on the dressing. And eat lettuce and kale and nothing else and you got yourself a healthy meal. Definitely something people want to eat.

The cheese and bacon are fine as part of a balanced diet. The dressing may be fine as well, unless it's ranch or 1000 island or something.

I make a bomb-tasting salad with lettuce, spinach, hard boiled eggs, pan-fried chicken I cut up, black olives, onions, parmesan or feta cheese depending on my mood, some home-cooked bacon. Add a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper and it's truly delicious while being perfectly healthy for most people.

6 minutes ago, iPwn said:

You said either people are dumber or that they used to have it figured out. I assume you’re suggesting they used to know, and not that everyone has become stupid. So why did people understand nutrition 50 years ago and not today? That’s what you’re suggesting, right?

Not at all.

I would argue 50 years ago folks had a different view of what a portion is and how to eat. I’ve never seen my 82 year old father order a meal that didn’t have a veggie with it for example (he makes canned veggies at home every night, so availabitly isn’t a factor).

Also, 50 years ago “fat shaming” and the like wasn’t a thing.  Many people viewed obesity as unattractive, unhealthy and a sign of slothful behavior.  I think it’s fair to say things have changed culturally. No clue how much this matters in general, but I’d imagine it would to some degree.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Or unhealthy foods have become 1) more readily available and 2) cheaper (again, in terms of convenient options). 50 years ago people weren't buying their food in boxes stuffed with preservatives and whatnot, people cooked more often and presumably leaned on basic staples more. 

The availability of garbage doesn’t mean good food is unavailable.  50 years ago people ate foods out of cans and jars.  My grandmothers cellar could have fed the state for 6 months.

3 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I hear ya, but the yogurt is just one example. How about Gatorade as a "sports drink"? That must be healthy right, I mean LeBron drinks it. The electrolytes are important, forget about the added sugar. And milk, it does the body good right? Also a ton of sugar added..

If you’re sweating like LBJ does and you need to replenish your fluid and electrolytes, you’ll be just fine too.

You don’t need rehydration solutions because you walked from the couch to the kitchen.

5 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

And that brings me back to what i've said before, Some people's BMR's would put them at a point where eating more than 1200 calories a day holds them at their current weight or with very little loss. And when you've been eating for years at 2.5 to 3K a day, cutting out that much is extremely hard.

So eat less, and do so slowly.  OOOOOORRRRRR add some exercise to the mix.

5 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Some medical conditions change how people process various things like proteins, fats, and carbs though. For example, women with PCOS need to cutback on carbs specifically because they (somehow) effect their hormone levels which cause PCOS which lowers their BMR drastically.

I get that, but that’s not really what we’re talking about here.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not at all.

I would argue 50 years ago folks had a different view of what a portion is and how to eat. I’ve never seen my 82 year old father order a meal that didn’t have a veggie with it for example (he makes canned veggies at home every night, so availabitly isn’t a factor).

Also, 50 years ago “fat shaming” and the like wasn’t a thing.  Many people viewed obesity as unattractive, unhealthy and a sign of slothful behavior.  I think it’s fair to say things have changed culturally. No clue how much this matters in general, but I’d imagine it would to some degree.

It's not like there's an age range cutoff where people stop being less obese, so what happened then. http://news.gallup.com/poll/158351/obesity-nearly-age-groups-2008.aspx

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So eat less, and do so slowly.  OOOOOORRRRRR add some exercise to the mix.

Working your way up to a good diet is absolutely the way to go but it might take a very long time of little to no results which can really hamper a person's willpower. And burning a 1000 calories a day through exercise is extremely hard for fat people, You're talking hours and hours of intense exercise.