Path to 53 - Tracking All Redskins Cuts

Slappy Mc

2 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

You just named our last 3 third down pass catching backs...

Well my point was is that our team has not been ozing with backs that can do what he does as a receiver as well as being a reliable RB in between the tackles and off tackle.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’ll be a little surprised if we don’t see Bibbs in a Redskins uniform at some point this season. He’s a guy we can plug right into the game if we lose one of the other RBs to injury.

But I have to say, and this has not really been the case here (where Fat Rob is generally more of the whipping boy, rightly I think), I find it odd to see how many people are railing against Perine in complaining about cutting Bibbs. I think Perine has looked really good this preseason. The fumbles are obviously a problem, but I don’t see too much evidence in his history to indicate that he’s a chronic “fumbler.”

Not sure I understand this. Kelley & Perine are pretty much the same. Bibbs is a combination of Thompson and then.

Bibbs is quicker and faster than Perine, he’s able to run in between the tackles like him, he’s averaged more yards per carry, he’s a better receiver and a better special teams player. Oh and yeah, he doesn’t fumble so, unlike Perine, he doesn’t have to shake that moniker even if it is a bit of an overreaction for Perine.

In every way he’s proven he’s better than Perine except he’s not as big and strong as him so, he’s presumably not as good at short yardage situations but I’m not even sure about that because Kelley & Perine were awful at short yardage last year.

53 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand cutting Spaight to keep Vigil...

Spaight is good at what he does, (2-down run stuffer) but he doesn’t make the right reads sometimes and he isn’t that athletic. His value is on special teams only.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand cutting Spaight to keep Vigil...

I don’t understand it either. All I can say is they are both about equal players but maybe Vigil is better at calling the defense and because of that more reliable in coverage because he knows where he’s supposed to be even if he doesn’t always get there. I’ll also say most believe Vigil played better down the stretch at the end of last year when both Foster & Brown we’re out. I could’ve went either way on it, Spaight was more athletic, Vigil seemed like the better all around football player. It had to be one of the toughest decisions. 

Really the only surprise I see is Dunn, I think he will end up being released and we sign a waived guard. I really wish that we had starting and backup centers who could long snap on special teams. It just is rediculous to me we have to burn a roster spot on a Long Snapper but I’m sure we aren’t the only team that does it.

i think we are screwed if Montae or DJ goes down. IMO Apke was the worst pick we made in the draft. To take him in round 4 when honestly he was a 7th at best was horrible. He’s not gonna be on the team next year IMO, wasted pick, I hope he proves me wrong but all I see with him is speed, yeah he plays ST but he can’t tackle, all he is is a gunner

44 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Spaight is good at what he does, (2-down run stuffer) but he doesn’t make the right reads sometimes and he isn’t that athletic. His value is on special teams only.

And Vigil's value is ... ?

9 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Really the only surprise I see is Dunn, I think he will end up being released and we sign a waived guard. I really wish that we had starting and backup centers who could long snap on special teams. It just is rediculous to me we have to burn a roster spot on a Long Snapper but I’m sure we aren’t the only team that does it.

i think we are screwed if Montae or DJ goes down. IMO Apke was the worst pick we made in the draft. To take him in round 4 when honestly he was a 7th at best was horrible. He’s not gonna be on the team next year IMO, wasted pick, I hope he proves me wrong but all I see with him is speed, yeah he plays ST but he can’t tackle, all he is is a gunner

Long snapper is too valuable, you’ll never see a long snapper who is also a regular center. Also, long snappers have to cover punts, they are generally 50 pounds lighter than starting centers because they run downfield and cover punts.

Apke has potential but he has work to do for sure, his speed and athleticism is something you can’t teach. He’s looked bad at tackling, but I expect him to work on it and improve. He was bad in the first half at tackling vs the Broncos missing a few, but had nice tackles in the second half after I’m sure he got ripped at halftime or some coaching. From all reports he’s a hard worker who studies a lot, I think he’ll develop into a good safety by next year. We have Everett as the 3rd safety, Apke is the 4th and a lot of the beat reporters have heard the Redskins hope to get Ladler in the practice squad, and if not him, Fish Smithston will be on the practice squad.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Not sure I understand this. Kelley & Perine are pretty much the same. Bibbs is a combination of Thompson and then.

Bibbs is quicker and faster than Perine, he’s able to run in between the tackles like him, he’s averaged more yards per carry, he’s a better receiver and a better special teams player. Oh and yeah, he doesn’t fumble so, unlike Perine, he doesn’t have to shake that moniker even if it is a bit of an overreaction for Perine.

In every way he’s proven he’s better than Perine except he’s not as big and strong as him so, he’s presumably not as good at short yardage situations but I’m not even sure about that because Kelley & Perine were awful at short yardage last year.

He’s proved he can run between the tackles? When did he do that — with his 6 carries between the tackles last year (for 19 yards, 16 of which came on one draw play)? With the 6 carries between the tackles this preseason (for 21 yards)? 

And in any case, I don’t think he’s looked better than Perine this preseason. As a runner, anyway. I actually think Perine has looked really good, against higher level competition. Bibbs has popped a couple long ones, but those long runs aren’t going to be there too often against better defenders who can tackle and take appropriate angles. Perine has looked like he’s got a lot more burst than we saw last year, much more like the player who we expected coming out of college. 

I think Bibbs would be a fine backup 3rd down back. If CT had gone down for the year, and not Guice, I’m sure they would have kept him (although they should have dropped Fat Rob in that scenario). But we have CT and don’t have Guice. We need insurance in the form of three down backs who can carry the load and let CT handle the passing down responsibilities — not another third down back who would basically never see the field unless CT got hurt. 

Archived