Path to 53 - Tracking All Redskins Cuts

Slappy Mc

32 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I think it has to be a FB or blocking TE.  Peterson has said he prefers running behind a FB, and John Keim said he expected us to target a lead blocker.  He nailed the Dunn prediction so he must have an inside source.

Yeah, I agree theyre probably looking for a FB. I read that the Texans cut a good one who was on a long term deal, but I’m not sure why they cut him. 

https://torotimes.com/2018/09/01/houston-texans-daily-roundup-roster-cuts-made/

Another cut made by the Texans was fullback 

Jay Prosch, as last year he signed a three-year contract extension. Mark Inabinett of AL.com wrote about the former Auburn standout following his release:

“Prosch helped clear the way for running back Lamar Miller to rush for more than 1,000 yards last season. In 2014, Arian Foster ran for 1,246 yards while working with the rookie fullback.”

I’m not sure this is the best move the Texans could have made. They need to have a true fullback to block for their rushing game, especially with the Texans’ offensive line not being the greatest and one that has question marks. All teams should have a true fullback on their roster, and with Prosch, he did help Miller and Foster have 1-000 yard rushing seasons, so we’ll see if this works out for the offense sooner rather than later.

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You’re right.

But it’s not his fault, the Washington Post article actually screwed it up. I saw the same article, and I was scratching my head and thinking we need to get another pass rusher ASAP. 

I know Mknight won’t like this, and they probably won’t do it because he’ll complain about playing time but Galette should be signed if McPhee doesn’t look good early in the year. Personally, I’m not too worried about it, McPhee isn’t as athletic as Galette and doesn’t have as good of a first step but he is good for 4 sacks plus a year and is a good run defender, certainly a better run defender than Galette.

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I know Mknight won’t like this, and they probably won’t do it because he’ll complain about playing time but Galette should be signed if McPhee doesn’t look good early in the year. Personally, I’m not too worried about it, McPhee isn’t as athletic as Galette and doesn’t have as good of a first step but he is good for 4 sacks plus a year and is a good run defender, certainly a better run defender than Galette.

I agree here. If McPhee is looking poo poo, Gallette is available for vet minimum 

3 hours ago, Woz said:

And Vigil's value is ... ?

Vigil is average against the pass, but he makes all the calls for the defense and is a better fit than Spaight. That being said, I think JHC and SDH are ahead of Vigil on the depth chart still...

Lets not act like Spaight was an all-star. Spaight couldn’t beat out Will Compton last year for the first back-up ILB. 

7 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Vigil is average against the pass, but he makes all the calls for the defense and is a better fit than Spaight. That being said, I think JHC and SDH are ahead of Vigil on the depth chart still...

Lets not act like Spaight was an all-star. Spaight couldn’t beat out Will Compton last year for the first back-up ILB. 

Spaight plays the run well though, and he stays healthy.  Honestly, is Mason Foster that much better than Spaight?  If we're going to do this young athletic movement at the other MLB spot, at least give JHC or SDH the snaps over Foster.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Spaight plays the run well though, and he stays healthy.  Honestly, is Mason Foster that much better than Spaight?  If we're going to do this young athletic movement at the other MLB spot, at least give JHC or SDH the snaps over Foster.  

I think it was much less about Spaight vs Vigil as it was Spaight vs SDH as the run stuffing ILB. With JHC having the nickel LB locked down it only made sense to let Spaight go, IMO.

That being said, I liked Spaight and I know he will catch on quickly somewhere.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

I think it was much less about Spaight vs Vigil as it was Spaight vs SDH as the run stuffing ILB. With JHC having the nickel LB locked down it only made sense to let Spaight go, IMO.

That being said, I liked Spaight and I know he will catch on quickly somewhere.

Spaight just always seemed to be in the backfield when called on.  Maybe he sucked on special teams or something.  

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Spaight just always seemed to be in the backfield when called on.  Maybe he sucked on special teams or something.  

The plays where he made the incorrect read or got burned in coverage greatly outnumbered the great sticks he made in the backfield. 

He was a great tackler. I kinda wonder if the new tackle rule had any affect on this cut. Spaight would be called for “leading with the head” tackles more than Vigil IMO.

Cant afford stupid penalties.

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

The plays where he made the incorrect read or got burned in coverage greatly outnumbered the great sticks he made in the backfield. 

He was a great tackler. I kinda wonder if the new tackle rule had any affect on this cut. Spaight would be called for “leading with the head” tackles more than Vigil IMO.

Cant afford stupid penalties.

I doubt the Redskins think anything through that much.

Archived