Raiders, Bears Reach Agreement on Khalil Mack Trade

ramssuperbowl99

7 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

And it'd be just as much of a mistake to assume they are going to improve just because they got a new coaching staff.  Right now they are a mediocre team who signed a few good free agents, changed coaching staffs, and have a mediocre/unproven QB.  Now, if Trubisky breaks out like Wentz did last year, things will look great! If he's Christian Ponder however, then suddenly the Bears have a 25M/year defensive player a few years away from 30, with a bad QB, and no draft assets to fix the team for at least a while.  

Time will tell if this was the right move to make, I just think it would have made more sense to see how your new coach and QB are going to work out before putting all of your chips in the pot and going all in.

He's not Christian Ponder, though.  Mitch Trubisky can play and the Bears are improving their team.  The Bears have invested in their front seven over the last few drafts and adding Mack makes all those guys so much better.  I get what people are saying, that the Bears are not projected to make the playoffs.  They're in a tough division, but as we know, in the NFL anything can happen.  Before last season started, most people did not predict the Rams and Jaguars to be two of the best teams in football, but they were.

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Why is that? 

Because he's first time coach and unknown quantity.  Like 10 teams fired their coaches and have new ones this year....is every single team going to be better than last year just because they have new coaches?  Using the new coach logic, I guess the Lions are guaranteed to win 10+ games (and no, they aren't obviously) because they won 9 last year and have a new coach.

1 minute ago, fortdetroit said:

I am?  Where did I mention anything about Detroit?  Patricia could be great coach, better than Caldwell, and maybe the Lions win 11 games.  Or he's absolutely terrible, and we'll be longing for the days of mediocre 9-7 Caldwell.  I was ok with moving on from Caldwell because the best we were ever going to be was average with zero running game. I have no ******* clue how Patricia will end up, but I do know I don't want my them going all in, trading all their 1st rounders for a linebacker and completely mortgaging the future, just because things *might* be better with Patricia.  

I'm just saying, that usually its assumed that a coaching staff has been fired for a reason, and in the Bears case, a turnip would be a better coach than Fox and Loggains were.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

He's not Christian Ponder, though.  Mitch Trubisky can play and the Bears are improving their team.  The Bears have invested in their front seven over the last few drafts and adding Mack makes all those guys so much better.  I get what people are saying, that the Bears are not projected to make the playoffs.  They're in a tough division, but as we know, in the NFL anything can happen.  Before last season started, most people did not predict the Rams and Jaguars to be two of the best teams in football, but they were.

You act like we know that one or the other.  He was brutal last year, until he actually proves it on the field he's at best an unknown quantity.  Wouldn't be the first high draft pick to bust and wouldn't be the last.  I get it you guys are excited, but you said the same crap about how great Cutler was every year too.  Trubisky throws 7 TDs in 12 games with a 77 rating and all of a sudden his caliber of talent is beyond questioning?  Give me a break.  He has tons to learn and prove before anyone considers him even an average QB.

12 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

And it'd be just as much of a mistake to assume they are going to improve just because they got a new coaching staff.  Right now they are a mediocre team who signed a few good free agents, changed coaching staffs, and have a mediocre/unproven QB.  Now, if Trubisky breaks out like Wentz did last year, things will look great! If he's Christian Ponder however, then suddenly the Bears have a 25M/year defensive player a few years away from 30, with a bad QB, and no draft assets to fix the team for at least a while.  

Time will tell if this was the right move to make, I just think it would have made more sense to see how your new coach and QB are going to work out before putting all of your chips in the pot and going all in.

They are going to improve because of Trey Burton, Allen Robinson, firing Fox, hiring Nagy, keeping Fangio, Taylor Gabriel, Roquan Smith, and now Kahlil Mack. Quit downplaying their moves like the Bears haven't significantly improved from last year. 

Just now, fortdetroit said:

You act like we know that one or the other.  He was brutal last year, until he actually proves it on the field he's at best an unknown quantity.  Wouldn't be the first high draft pick to bust and wouldn't be the last.  I get it you guys are excited, but you said the same crap about how great Cutler was every year too.  Trubisky throws 7 TDs in 12 games with a 77 rating and all of a sudden his caliber of talent is beyond questioning?  Give me a break.  He has tons to learn and prove before anyone considers him even an average QB.

And people said the same thing about Jared Goff.  I already said, I get what you're saying.  All I'm saying is, the Bears just got a lot better today and added a true elite play maker to their team.  There aren't many of those in the league and Chicago just got one.

4 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

Because he's first time coach and unknown quantity.  Like 10 teams fired their coaches and have new ones this year....is every single team going to be better than last year just because they have new coaches?  Using the new coach logic, I guess the Lions are guaranteed to win 10+ games (and no, they aren't obviously) because they won 9 last year and have a new coach.

Why do you keep focusing on the coaching change when its one of about 6 or 7 VERY solid moves the Bears have made to improve their team? 

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm just saying, that usually its assumed that a coaching staff has been fired for a reason, and in the Bears case, a turnip would be a better coach than Fox and Loggains were.

We are all hopeful about a new staff, I get it.  I'm hopeful about the Lions new coaching staff too.  But there is just as good of a chance they fail as they succeed.  Do I have to remind you about Trestman...and Fox?  The Bears fan base was excited about both.  Trestman was an innovative offensive mind, smarter than everyone.  Fox was a proven SB caliber coach who had a history of turning bad teams around.  I'm not ragging on Bears fans, we all do it, I do it do.  I just think trading for Mack at this point of the rebuild was an extremely risky move...maybe i'll be completely wrong and Trubisky is a stud and the bears D is top 5 and the bears are in the NFC championship.  I guess time will tell...wouldnt be the first time I've been wrong.  I just think it was way too risky of a move given what we know about the team at this point.

7 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

I am?  Where did I mention anything about Detroit?  Patricia could be great coach, better than Caldwell, and maybe the Lions win 11 games.  Or he's absolutely terrible, and we'll be longing for the days of mediocre 9-7 Caldwell.  I was ok with moving on from Caldwell because the best we were ever going to be was average with zero running game. I have no ******* clue how Patricia will end up, but I do know I don't want my them going all in, trading all their 1st rounders for a linebacker and completely mortgaging the future, just because things *might* be better with Patricia.  

Also, if you wouldn't take a top 5 defensive player in the league for 2 chances at a player who more likely than not will be an average starter at best, I would think that you are overvaluing draft picks.   You can't throw away all your draft picks for nothing, but its not like Mack is a nobody.

2 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

It's not really "logic", it's a prediction based upon his opinion of the previous staff. (An opinion which I agree has a lot of merit.) The basis of your argument is, essentially, we all won't know how good the team and the coaching staff will perform until after the season is over. Now...while that is true on a fundamental level, it's not a very good position to adhere to if one wants to participate in a little chat on an internet forum...

3 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

He had like one or two bad games last year. Brutal is such an obvious exaggeration. Trubisky can simply be an average game manager type of QB and the Bears have enough talent to still compete and play at a high level.

Archived