Troy Dynasty - NCAA14 || Season 5, Week 2 - Luck of the Irish?

Danger

SPOILER: Watch the 2nd quarter and you'll see something amazing.

z0y9TrJ.png

They did REALLY well on 3rd down. Something that we have to do better on. That said, we were CLUTCH in the redzone reaching the endzone each time. That combined with getting two turnovers and not giving up any ourselves really helped us to clobber them.

JrsleHi.png

Not a massive game, but still a rock hard solid one from the stud today. Except the 1st quarter. First four drop backs, four sacks. It was rough early, but after that he couldn't be stopped.

b8c5jzJ.png

Gary Stewart was a fortunate individual in this game. A couple of Touchdowns were given to him on a silver platter, but he did well himself even still.

kDvPI87.png

Mendoza really spread the ball around... at least to the 5 receivers he did throw it to. Letton was probably the best of the bunch but he did all in the first half.

6M0WO5b.jpg

Marcus Webb once again had a couple sacks. Always get good production out of the #1 DT on my team. MLB Whisenhunt had a pick, and so did FS Cedric Rushing. Pretty good day by the defense, aside from 3rd down play.

Edited by Danger

Week 15 Recruiting
Actively Recruited Prospects
OVR Rank Position Rank Star Name OVR Position Interest Visit Points In Net Change Lead/Deficit
104 6 ★★★★☆ Patrick Green 81 (+5) DT 1st Week 8 700 225 105
62 2 ★★★★☆ Ismael Summers 79 (+1) SS 1st Week 8 700 -900 405
234 44 ★★★★☆ Youdlain Harrell 76 (+6) ATH (RB/TE) 1st   700 50 1380
64 3 ★★★★☆ Ben Butler 74 (-1) DT 2nd Week 8 700 150 -220
720 37 ★★★☆☆ Matt Jones 73 (+5) QB 1st   700 70 815
81 18 ★★★★☆ Reggie Davis 72 ATH (SS/QB/RB) 1st Week 14 700 2505 4835
Verbal Commits to Troy
OVR Rank Position Rank Star Name OVR Position Interest Visit Points In Net Change Lead/Deficit
75 5 ★★★★☆ Chris Marshall 80 (+3) DE Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
154 2 ★★★★☆ Quinton Wade 78 (+3) T Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
20 5 ★★★★★ Marcus Mason 78 (+3) ATH (DB/QB/RB) Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
374 3 ★★★☆☆ Levi Cooke 79 (+7) OLB Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
688 25 ★★★☆☆ Jake McIntyre 75 (+6) FS Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
266 18 ★★★★☆ Jeff McNeal 77 (+4) DT Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
100 11 ★★★★☆ Terry McCarthy 80 (+4) DE Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
279 8 ★★★★☆ Brian Gilmore 76 (+3) C Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
JUCO (SO) 18 ★★★☆☆ Randy Moore 80 CB Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
JUCO (SO) 43 ★★★★☆ Chris Rice 81 (+2) ATH (QB/WR/RB) Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
466 28 ★★★☆☆ Pete Walton 75 (+4) OLB Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
59 14 ★★★★☆ Eric Clark 79 (+5) ATH (RB/QB) Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
  28 ★★★☆☆ Eric Miller 76 (+6) DT Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed

Commits:

1. JUCO (SO) CB Randy Moore: He'll be reshirted this next season, but after that I expect him to be in the CB rotation in his RS SO season as either the 3rd or 4th corner and then starting the following season. 
  2. JUCO (SO) ATH Chris Rice: He has really good Throw Power for a sophomore* at 90 and decent accuracy at 81. He -could- give Tyler Taylor a run for his money if I decide to make him a QB. It really depends what his overall is at those positions listed. Speed of 88 would give us a mobile QB something I hadn't planned on but could definitely consider.
  3. OLB Pete Walton: He'll definitely be in the mix at OLB, not as good as fellow recruit Levi Cooke, but he's definitely got a better potential than some of the players I recruited at the position last season.
  4. ATH Eric Clark: I can't really see him being anything else than a RB from what his ratings are, he is a QB prospect as well but his power and accuracy (and barely speed) kinda fall short of Chris Rice. We will see. Despite being 79 overall, I'm not overall terribly excited for his fit on the team necessarily.
  5. DT Eric Miller: Honestly had no expectations of him committing. We stole him from Alabama after a stellar visit in Week 14. Don't know how much he'll figure in especially if I'm correct in assuming I can get Patrick Green to commit, he'd be the 3rd best player at his position in this class, but not too far behind Jeff McNeal.

Notes:

• Patrick Green and Ismael Summers are both going to be players I go after heavily in the off season as I'm not going to be able to swing them out of the recruiting battles before the end of the season.
  • I think I can get Youdlain Harrell and Reggie Davis in the off season as well. 
  • I don't really care about QB Matt Jones or DT Ben Butler, both would likely be career backups at Troy.
Edited by Danger

End of Season Recruiting
104 6 ★★★★☆ Patrick Green 81 (+5) DT 1st Week 8 700 210 315
62 2 ★★★★☆ Ismael Summers 79 (+1) SS 1st Week 8 700 100 305
64 3 ★★★★☆ Ben Butler 74 (-1) DT 2nd Week 8 700 150 -50
720 37 ★★★☆☆ Matt Jones 73 (+5) QB 1st   700 70 885
Verbal Commits to Troy
20 5 ★★★★★ Marcus Mason 78 (+3) ATH (DB/QB/RB) Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
JUCO (SO) 43 ★★★★☆ Chris Rice 81 (+2) ATH (QB/WR/RB) Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
59 14 ★★★★☆ Eric Clark 79 (+5) ATH (RB/QB) Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
234 44 ★★★★☆ Youdlain Harrell 76 (+6) ATH (RB/TE) Committed   - Committed Committed
81 18 ★★★★☆ Reggie Davis 72 ATH (SS/QB/RB) Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed

Commits: 
ATH Youdlain Harrell - For all intents and purposes he seems like either a TE or a RB to me. If he does fit in as a TE that's where he's going to go for sure. Already have a bit of a log jam at RB.
ATH Reggie Davis - Gut feeling he -may- be a sleeper where he is actually much better at something, but if not he'll likely just be a career backup at Strong Safety or linebacker.

Notes:
I don't really want anyone else, I'm just gonna go all in on Patrick Green and Ismael Summers in the off season to lock those two up.

A9tECqq.jpg

Was a heck of a game. Biggest difference for the two teams was the ability to execute on 3rd down. Everything else honestly felt dead even to me. The yards would have been the same if they converted a few more 3rd downs I truly believe. 1 Turnover a piece. Truly a game between two teams that were laying it all out on the field.

NjaUtSV.png

I do feel Mendoza performed better than his stats would indicate here. There were a couple of key drops one on a deep pass that really could have put us out even further ahead than we were. Additionally we found more overall success in the redzone with running the ball so we stuck with it. He had one interception which I really can't give him a pass on, but the one thing I wanted to see him improve on this season as a whole was not letting his mistakes snowball when he made them and I do feel he was successful at that despite a slight statistical dip from his first two seasons.

mHwTdvm.jpg

The two runningbacks combined for over 150 yards and didn't have a rush longer than 12 yards. They were just pretty consistent all game long. It helped make everything easier and more managable because I was hardly ever in a situation where I was faced with 3rd and long. Downing went back to his TD stealing ways in this game though.

r5jyBXs.jpg

Ramirez and Letton kept moving the chains for us most of the day. Ramirez even got that touchdown catch on 4th and goal. It's gonna be upsetting to see Letton graduate next season, but we do have some freshman in the pipeline who will be ready to step up to the plate and continue where he left off. Matt Adams is the lone player I am actually left disappointed by in this game. 2 huge drops. 1 on a really long pass during 3rd and long that a player of his caliber should be able to reel in. 

Mw0X6Ns.jpg

No huge numbers to be found here. DT1 Marcus Webb got his 17th sack on the season and RE Corey Wade is also somewhere near 10 on the year. Courtney Green who doesn't get much play time at the OLB position due to our heavy use of the Nickel package actually got to make a nice impact here with a key sack. Not shown here is the interception by Nickel CB David Sharp which actually saved the game. Texas was driving very late in the 1st half and was about to go into half time with a lead but David Sharp managed to pick the ball off in the redzone with 12 seconds left in the half. You da real MVP David.

ON TO THE NATTY BOYS.

• Like 1

6b60Ipq.png

It's pretty miraculous that we were able to win given the turnover battle. But we played stellar on 3rd and 4th down. Our pass defense was pretty good only giving up 96 yards through the air on 18 attempts. Would have been really nice to get some turnovers from my defense but they played well.

7ONGFPw.png

Mendoza really aired it out this game. He was playing to win rather than playing not to lose. Which is good. You don't win by playing not to lose. He threw a pick 6 in the redzone on the last play of the first half which swung the score by 10 points. Then we turned it over on our next two drives. The rainy weather really wasn't doing us any favors. 

Lv9d4qH.png

Gary Stewart tends to... choke in bowl games. For whatever reason. Heck the running game in general kind of sucked really bad. Usually it's the opposing D-Line that is the issue, but their linebackers were always on point and seemed to know if it was a pass or run play before it even started without fail.

ywSc40N.png

Matt. Adams. Dude had the game of his life. He had a few drops during the Big XII Championship that made the game close, but he 100% turned it around here. Catching all 3 TD passes including the game winner with I think 3 seconds left in the game. Dude went from zero to hero. Legend in Troy Mythos.

FgRx1xh.png

3 Sacks on so few drop backs ain't half bad. I can count 8 TFL there alone so I think we were doing well as a defensive unit. If not for turnovers that set up field position or hell the Pick 6 Mendoza through in the redzone, they would have had a dominant performance if you ask me. 

The-Coaches-Trophy.jpeg

We ain't done yet. Hoping to see some Troy players finally get drafted and build on this from here.

• Like 3

Gonna make a sort of brief overview of the Off Season here:

Troy Trojans Season Awards:
MLB Justin Whisenhunt
Bednarik Award
Best LB Award

DT Marcus Webb
Nagurski Award
Lombardi Award

CB Nick Wright
Thorpe Award

Troy Trojans All Americans:
1st team
DT Marcus Webb
MLB Justin Whisenhunt
CB Nick Wright
CB David Sharp
SS Matt Yates

2nd team
RE Corey Wade

Freshman
RB Jason Downing
TE Waltar Ramirez
DT Jeff Bailey

New School Records
Ryan Mendoza - 11898 Career Passing Yards
Previous: Ryan Mendoza - 8051 Career Passing Yards

Ryan Mendoza - 114 Career Passing Touchdowns
Previous: 1966-1968 QB - 79 Career Passing Touchdowns

Notable Coaching Changes

• Texas A&M has fired Jimbo Fisher, and hired Charlie Strong from South Florida
  • Tennesse has fired Jeremy Pruitt, and hired Troy Calhoun from Air Force
  • Kentucky has fired Mark Stoops, and hired Bobby Wilder from Old Dominion
  • West Virginia has fired Dana Holgorsen, and hired Seth Littrell from North Texas
  • Southern Florida has replaced Charlie Strong, with OC Jay Norvell from Troy
  • Notre Dame has fired Brian Kelly, and hired DC Stanley Johnston from Troy
  • Troy has replaced OC Jay Norvell, with Dana Holgorsen fired from West Virginia
  • Troy has replaced DC Stanley Johnston, with DC Jim Knowles from Oklahoma State

Note: I forgot to check retirees

Players Graduating
Name Position OVR
Ryan Mendoza* QB 99
Sam Letton WR 94
Matt Adams* WR 92
Kaleb Barker QB 90
Marcus Webb DT 89
Tristain Crowder RT 87
Michael Robinson DT 83
Dylan Bradshaw C 82
Kade Young QB 81
Kelvin Lucky RE 79
BJ Smith FB 78

Draftees:
QB Ryan Mendoza - 1st Round
WR Sam Letton - 1st Round
WR Matt Adams - 4th Round

Wishing nothing but the best to these three. They all were the biggest parts of winning the title in Troy, you'll get to see exactly where Mendoza was drafted hopefully soon.

Final Words on players:

• Mendoza is a QB for the ages who's talents will probably never be matched at Troy. He'll be a franchise guy for sure wherever he goes.
  • Sam Letton was such a valuable player going 2-way at slot WR and TE. With his size, hands, and adequate speed, he can do well in the NFL as a slot guy.
  • Matt Adams came in so darn clutch in the National Championship he has a special place in Troy History. 
  • Marcus Webb put up historical numbers this past season winning multiple awards having 17 sacks.
  • Kaleb Barker was the model citizen. Never got to start in his career and probably could have started at the majority of collegiate universities, I never expected much from him when Pete Holmes first signed at Troy, but he was the best backup QB you could ever ask for.
  • Tristain Crowder you helped keep Mendoza up right... that's all I really know about you.
  • - The rest of the guys, well we won a national championship. Good job!

Note - Freshman TE Jeff Bailey (70 OVR) is transferring to Marshall University. Where their previous TE won the Mackey award. Best of luck to him, but he's not beating Walter Ramirez for it.

Recruiting

DT Patrick Green and SS Ismael Summers commit to Troy

Verbal Commits to Troy
234 44 ★★★★☆ Youdlain Harrell 76 (+6) ATH (RB/TE) Committed   - Committed Committed
81 18 ★★★★☆ Reggie Davis 72 ATH (SS/QB/RB) Committed Week 14 - Committed Committed
104 6 ★★★★☆ Patrick Green 81 (+5) DT Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed
62 2 ★★★★☆ Ismael Summers 79 (+1) SS Committed Week 8 - Committed Committed

Spoiler: All of them will be redshirted. Still a great class especially along the defensive line and picking up Athletes.

Position Changes
ATH Eric Clark -> QB (79 OVR) -- I could have put Chris Rice here and he would have been a bit higher of an overall but then we'd have both of our young QBs (Along with Tyler Taylor) in the same class, I wanted to stagger them a bit. Whenever Eric Clark gets to play for us we'll finally have a mobile option at QB (87 Speed)
ATH (JUCO SO) Chris Rice -> RB (79 OVR) Unfortunately there just wasn't an optimal place to put Chris Rice, maybe he'll get playing time down the road, I don't know really.
ATH Reggie Davis -> FB (53 OVR) Gonna be honest, I just did this to let him keep his scholarship as well as prevent the game from generating another stupid FB because you HAVE to have 2......
ATH Marcus Mason - WR (78 OVR) Also didn't want Chris Rice here because we have 3 receivers in the same class as Rice already, so again trying to stagger a bit.
ATH Youdlain Harrell - TE (70 OVR) GREAT speed for a TE, but he's a bit short. Wasn't sure where else to put him to ensure good use out of him someday hopefully.

Training Results - Top 10 Improved Players
Name Year Position Gain OVR
Gary Stewart Junior (R) RB 7 96
Jason Downing Sophomore (R) RB 6 88
Josh Godfrey Junior (R) RB 6 86
Danny Jackson Freshman (R) WR 6 85
Austin Smith Freshman (R) C 6 85
Tyler Graham Sophomore (R) LG 6 85
Tyler Taylor Freshman (R) QB 6 84
Daniel Robinson Freshman (R) RG 6 82
Adam Summers Junior (R) C 5 96
Matt Yates Junior (R) SS 5 95

Roster Cuts:
RB - Junior (R) - Josh Godfrey (86 OVR) - Never going to get significant play time for me. He'd have been 4th string behind Gary Stewart and 2 players younger than him because Antwaan Banks has AMAZING speed.
WR - Sophomore (R) - EJ Brown (78 OVR) - Just buried on the depth chart.
CB - Senior (R) - Terrence Dunlap (84 OVR) - No reason to keep him around, this is his last season and he's 5th on the depth chart.
FS - Senior (R) - Tyler Murray (85 OVR) - We have 3 seniors at this position (though we have a replacement ready in Daryl Walker), but he's not seeing the field.
TE - Senior - Zach Flynn - (82 OVR) - I prefer receiving TEs, at best he'd be 3rd at TE behind Walter Ramirez and WR/TE Freshman Danny Jackson (replacing Letton's role)
LE - Sophomore (R) - Dave Bradley (80 OVR), he'd never see time being 2 years older than our 2 redshirted freshman at the same OVR.

Depth chart Inc.

Year 5 Roster
Offense Skill Players
QB OVR Yr HB OVR Yr FB OVR Yr WR OVR Yr TE OVR Yr
Tyler Taylor 84 FR (R) Gary Stewart 96 JR (R) Michael Johnson 72 JR (R) Stephen Henry 86 SO (R) Walter Ramirez 82 SO (R)
Daniel Moore 78 FR (R) Antwan Banks 82 FR (R)       Kyle Parham 92 JR (R) Danny Jackson 74 FR (R)
Eric Clark 79 FR Jason Downing 88 SO (R)       Danny Jackson 85 FR (R) Marcus Faulk 74 FR (R)
      Chris Rice 79 SO       Chad Peterson 83 FR (R) Youdlain Harrell 70 FR
                  Tony McDougal 81 FR (R)      
                  Jesse Daniels 80 SO (R)      
                  Marcus Mason 78 FR      

Offense Skill Players
LT OVR Yr LG OVR Yr C OVR Yr RG OVR Yr RT OVR Yr
Mike Schultz 93 SR Tyler Graham 85 SO (R) Adam Summers 96 JR (R) Titus Fleming 86 JR J.R. Morris 85 FR (R)
Justin Evans 74 FR (R) Travius Harris 84 SR (R) Austin Smith 85 FR (R) Daniel Robinson 82 FR (R) Jamal Walker 86 JR (R)
Quinton Wade 78 FR       Brian Gilmore 76 FR            

Defensive Players
LE OVR Yr DT OVR Yr RE OVR Yr LOLB OVR Yr ROLB OVR Yr
Travon Mathis 91 SR (R) Jeff Bailey 86 SO (R) Corey Wade 88 JR (R) Jon Jones 86 JR (R) Courtney Green 83 JR (R)
Ross Thomas 74 FR (R) Derrick Shaw 81 FR (R) Allen Washington 77 FR (R) John Allen 82 SO (R) John Myrick 76 SO (R)
Terry McCarthy 80 FR Tyler Tucker 84 JR (R) Chris Marshall 80 FR Keith Langford 73 FR Pete Walton 75 FR
      Ismael Davis 73 FR (R)                  
      Patrick Green 81 FR                  
      Jeff McNeal 77 FR                  

Defensive Players      
MLB OVR Yr CB OVR Yr FS OVR Yr SS OVR Yr      
Justin Whisenhunt 90 SR (R) Marcus Jones 93 SR (R) Cedric Rushing 97 SR Matt Yates 95 JR (R)      
Kevin Nixon 82 SR (R) Nick Wright 92 JR (R) Joseph Norwood 88 SR (R) Kyle Nixon 82 SR (R)      
Titus Ross 81 SO (R) David Sharp 91 SO (R) Darryl Walker 80 FR (R) Ismael Summers 79 FR      
Levi Cooke 78 FR Timothy Cooper 85 SO (R) Jake McIntyre 75 FR            
      George Montgomery 81 FR (R)                  
      Randy Moore 80 SO                  

Special Teams                  
K OVR Yr P OVR Yr                  
Joe Miller 87 JR John Fitzpatrick 89 SO (R)                  

Never realized just how heavily I recruited on the defensive side of the ball last season.

Edited by Danger

Year 5 Schedule
Week Location Opponent
1 -- BYE
2 vs Notre Dame
3 -- BYE
4 at Texas Tech
5 vs #7 Oklahoma State
6 vs Kansas
7 at Hawai'i
8 at West Virginia
9 vs #19 Purdue
10 at Kansas State
11 vs Iowa State
12 at #16 USC
13 vs Missouri
14 at Arkansas State

Tried to give ourselves a hard out of conference schedule this season.

Week 2 - Notre Dame comes to Troy and we get to have a return of former defensive coordinator Stanley Johnston
Week 7 - We go to Hawai'i to celebrate the National Championship from last season as well as pay homage to now Pro QB Ryan Mendoza visiting his home
Week 9 - I wanted a ranked opponent at home here so that we could get a good visit.. to be honest.
Week 12 - Trojans vs Trojans. I had to.

Week 2 Recruiting
18 7 ★★★★★ Randy Scott 80 (+3) ATH (WR/DB) 2nd   700 220 -300
5 5 ★★★★★ Jason Scott 78 ATH (DB/WR) 1st   700 715 35
20 1 ★★★★★ Kareem Daugherty 82 SS 6th   700 -160 -760
46 1 ★★★★☆ Kevin Walker 77 (-2) FS 2nd   700 400 -215
17 1 ★★★★★ Troy Richardson 78 (-2) MLB 2nd   700 75 -280
23 2 ★★★★★ Kyle Holloway 79 (-1) TE 3rd   700 80 -480
158 5 ★★★★☆ Arch Manning 79 (+3) QB 5th   700 280 -705
165 4 ★★★★☆ Kyle Smith 79 (+5) CB 6th   700 -300 -1215
73 4 ★★★★☆ Akeem Wilson 79 (+1) G 3rd   700 75 -380

Top 3 Unsigned Recruits on Recruiting Board, but not Actively Recruited
78 16 ★★★★☆ Steve Allen 79 (+5) WR 6th     TBD TBD
      TBD              
      TBD              

Verbal Commits to Troy
  5 ★★★★★ Shawn Penn 76 WR Committed     Committed Committed
  11 ★★★☆☆ Jason Dowdell 78 (+6) T Committed     Committed Committed

Commits:

• WR Shawn Penn - Nothing special really, Got an instacommit so I took it.
  • T Jason Dowdell - Really glad I got him to commit early, now I don't have to invest a lot of resources into HOPING I can get a good OT in this class.

Notes:

• Didn't put points into CB Kyle Smith or SS Kareem Daugherty in week 1 so I'm not surprised we lost ground on them.
  • Both of the Scotts look like must have prospects for me. Particularly Randy. 96 speed and just all around great WR attributes. Hell Randy could be an unreal DB at any of those positions as well. I want both of them really bad.
  • Arch Manning, yes. Son of Cooper Manning, nephew of Peyton and Eli, I believe this is the year he'd be committing to a school in real life, so I made him a prospect and tried to project relatively realistically how he'd pan out.

3 hours ago, Danger said:

ATH Reggie Davis -> FB (53 OVR) Gonna be honest, I just did this to let him keep his scholarship as well as prevent the game from generating another stupid FB because you HAVE to have 2......

You do?  I don't recall ever being made to sign a 2nd FB

Also, how did you end up signing so many extra prospects that you had to cut a number of decent upperclassman?  I always feel bad doing it so I just stop recruiting once I know I have got as many commits as I have players graduating (plus a couple extra for players likely to leave for the draft)