Mayweather vs McGregor

SteelersFanMD

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

I thought Conor had a decent chance at winning and he did way better than I thought. Was way funner than I expected. I hope Conor goes back to MMA and ignores Paulie, no wants to see that. 

I want to see him beat Paulie up though :D.

But UFC badly needs him back. 

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I thought Conor had a decent chance at winning and he did way better than I thought. Was way funner than I expected. I hope Conor goes back to MMA and ignores Paulie, no wants to see that. 

That was your first mistake...

2 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Then, you've clearly watched enough boxing to know that the fight was hardly competitive. 

McGregor was active early and won the first rounds on the scorecard because of it, but he wasn't even landing that much of what he threw. The uppercut in the first round was nice and he did fine with his jab, but nothing overly impressive those first few rounds. 

Maybe it was just the surprise of him doing way better than I expected but I thought the first 8 were competitive. Even the boxing Showtime commentators said the first 7 and a half were competitive. idk maybe I'll see something different when I watch it again w/o the hype.

If Connor was a few years younger and fully committed to boxing, he'd be pretty damn good and a very entertaining fighter. 

The potential is there. In the first couple rounds I was a bit surprised at Connor's length against Floyd. His arms and his reach are great.

And he clearly has the work ethic to be refine his skills as a boxer.

I guess we'll see where Connor goes now.

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I get that, as a boxer he is extremely flawed. He would lose to a lot of boxers. If Mayweather wasn't 40 Conor would have been frustrated much earlier and probably would have got dominated from the start. He probably still lasts awhile because Mayweather doesn't have great power but once Conor was exhausted he would be able to end the fight one way or another.

Yeah, Floyd from say four years ago probably ends it around round 6 or so. But he was going to last longer than he would against other guys because as you said, Floyd isn't all that big of a puncher at this weight class.

Overall, glad this fight was not a joke and most got their money's worth.

Listening to Conor, seems like he may want to stay in boxing a little longer. 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It was an active match, but yea, it wasn't that competitive. Floyd always takes the first 2 to 4 rounds to figure a fighter out. He did the same today. He wasn't really fighting the first two rounds. He was seeing what Conor had. After Round 3, Floyd dominated the fight. It's not a surprise. Conor did better than expected, but it wasn't a close fight imo.

Plus, Conor looked better than he might have otherwise because Floyd took the action to him instead of playing defense like he would have against a more skilled opponent.

Floyd also didn't fear Conor's power at all.

I was screaming at the UFC guys who were commentating cause it was clear that they had never watched Floyd before.

They were hyping up every time Conor got aggressive even if it didn't result in any landed punches.

But, yeah.. Conor was better than I expected. He got his jab working at points and moved around the ring better than I thought he might. I honestly just expected him to charge in like a bull for the most part. 

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

He had a puncher's chance. Mayweather avoids punches so it wasn't a great chance even as a puncher's chance but it was there.

It was there in the sense that it could feasibly happen. I also could feasibly win the lottery. But nobody would say I have a decent chance of that.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

He had a puncher's chance. Mayweather avoids punches so it wasn't a great chance even as a puncher's chance but it was there.

But the thing is did he really have a punchers chance? Floyd never was hurt and didn't take as many back steps as he did against punchers like Maidana/Pac/SSM/Cotto. Conor in boxing standards isn't a big puncher, he's a good puncher that is a skilled counter puncher. His counter punching regardless if it is MMA or boxing is impressive. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, Floyd from say four years ago probably ends it around round 6 or so. But he was going to last longer than he would against other guys because as you said, Floyd isn't all that big of a puncher at this weight class.

Overall, glad this fight was not a joke and most got their money's worth.

Listening to Conor, seems like he may want to stay in boxing a little longer. 

If he does, he's gonna fight the "bums" to build up a record. I wanna see him fight Spence tho. Put the dream to bed.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Plus, Conor looked better than he might have otherwise because Floyd took the action to him instead of playing defense like he would have against a more skilled opponent.

Floyd also didn't fear Conor's power at all.

His gameplan was obviously to wear him out but I don't think the part of Floyd taking the action to him and not playing defense are true. He barely threw and covered up most of the 1st half of the fight. 

2 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

If Connor was a few years younger and fully committed to boxing, he'd be pretty damn good and a very entertaining fighter. 

The potential is there. In the first couple rounds I was a bit surprised at Connor's length against Floyd. His arms and his reach are great.

And he clearly has the work ethic to be refine his skills as a boxer.

I guess we'll see where Connor goes now.

Yeah, the potential is there. 

But, he's nearing 30. It's kinda late to get into boxing. Isn't it?

Archived