Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I agree, but she didn't start screaming it was her birthright and she was born to rule Westeros until Viserys, Drogon, and her son died.

Yeah but even from the first episode of the series she kinda knew she wasn't normal when extremely hot things / fire didn't impact her at all. She figured it all out once the dragons were born and her son died, but she still had the idea long before that.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah but even from the first episode of the series she kinda knew she wasn't normal when extremely hot things / fire didn't impact her at all. She figured it all out once the dragons were born and her son died, but she still had the idea long before that.

Did she? In the first episode even after that bath she didn't want to leave Pentos.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

A lot of fan service going on still

I'm not saying there's zero, but I swear to god the internet calls anything short of "the show didn't rip my heart out and then have Ramsey pop out of the screen, cut my **** off, and make me eat it" fan service.

When Davos meets Gendry and says "I thought you'd still be rowing" after years of memes about that? That's fan service. 

Most of what happened in this episode wasn't that. Brienne vouching for Jamie wasn't and neither was Jamie knighting her or saying it'd be an honor to fight alongside her; Jamie's arc has been about redeeming himself from The Kingslayer while Brienne has always wanted to be a knight. That's just a natural conclusion for a lot of their stories. Sansa and Theon reuniting wasn't, they survived Ramsey and grew up as brothers before Theon betrayed them. It shouldn't be a surprise that was emotional and they were close. Even Arya/Gendry wasn't really fan service as much as people have said they'll end up together; they always had chemistry that's why people wanted it.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Her entire life? More like the last 6 years.

No it was hers. While Viserys had a better claim the claim belonged to the Targaryans alone according to him. Viserys didn't preach only about himself but about their family. So when he died, that birthright for the Targaryans she was told about all her life suddenly just fell to her. Besides she was thinking about it while she was still a Khaleesi.

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not saying there's zero, but I swear to god the internet calls anything short of "the show didn't rip my heart out and then have Ramsey pop out of the screen, cut my **** off, and make me eat it" fan service.

When Davos meets Gendry and says "I thought you'd still be rowing" after years of memes about that? That's fan service. 

Most of what happened in this episode wasn't that. Brienne vouching for Jamie wasn't and neither was Jamie knighting her or saying it'd be an honor to fight alongside her; Jamie's arc has been about redeeming himself from The Kingslayer while Brienne has always wanted to be a knight. That's just a natural conclusion for a lot of their stories. Sansa and Theon reuniting wasn't, they survived Ramsey and grew up as brothers before Theon betrayed them. It shouldn't be a surprise that was emotional and they were close. Even Arya/Gendry wasn't really fan service as much as people have said they'll end up together; they always had chemistry that's why people wanted it.

Jamie knighting Brienne was kinda dumb. That was a filler in a season where every second needed to count. So much more could have been done with that episode. I get the first one, and this one is a sort of goodbye to alot of characters. But they should not have put that in and expanded on the story more.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jamie knighting Brienne was kinda dumb. That was a filler in a season where every second needed to count. So much more could have been done with that episode. I get the first one, and this one is a sort of goodbye to alot of characters. But they should not have put that in and expanded on the story more.

Of course it was. It was their last night together. It was exactly what it was supposed to be. Sure, they could've done more, but I thought it was well done and when this is all said and done, this episode will have more meaning.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Of course it was. It was their last night together. It was exactly what it was supposed to be. Sure, they could've done more, but I thought it was well done and when this is all said and done, this episode will have more meaning.

I get that. But some things could have been left out. Or at least made meaningful to the story.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Rewatching this episode after we know their fates is going to be really interesting.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They probably should have just written out all of the women in the show tbqh. Maybe they could keep in the nude scenes. But no character development unless there's dong tbh.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I get that. But some things could have been left out. Or at least made meaningful to the story.

For all we know, those things will be meaningful to the story later on. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now, and if nothing else it was just a happy, feel-good episode before most/all of them perish.

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Rewatching this episode after we know their fates is going to be really interesting.

Indeed it will.

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

If by "really interesting" you mean "emotional torture", yep. Grey Worm and Missandei has been really down screen time so far, but they just set that up for a brutal, brutal ending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If by "really interesting" you mean "emotional torture", yep. Grey Worm and Missandei has been really down screen time so far, but they just set that up for a brutal, brutal ending.

"Let's go to a beach when this is all over" is literally saying "We're definitely dying so what does your heaven look like?"

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They probably should have just written out all of the women in the show tbqh. Maybe they could keep in the nude scenes. But no character development unless there's dong tbh.

Hush now. Your hate blinds you to good story telling.

25 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

No it was hers. While Viserys had a better claim the claim belonged to the Targaryans alone according to him. Viserys didn't preach only about himself but about their family. So when he died, that birthright for the Targaryans she was told about all her life suddenly just fell to her. Besides she was thinking about it while she was still a Khaleesi.

Yeah, I'm sure Viserys was really empowering Dany. Seems very in character for him to do.

Oh, and none of that is in the show.

It's also exposition for other characters - which, it's been my opinion, has been done a decent amount in this series (i.e. the dialogue and interactions of others characters which isn't referring to a particular character or subset of characters provides some foreshadowing for that character/subset all the same - basically planting the idea in the audience's mind well in advance so it's less likely to be doubted).  I'm going to screw the quote up, but Tormund's "Well, why can't a woman be a knight?" bit does set the possibility for someone like Sansa.  The female heads of household are still, in this lore, expected to remarry and the line of succession still exercises all male heirs before ever getting to the females, and even then it looks for opportunities to branch off to other potential males before women.

• Like 1