Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

Just now, thrILL! said:

The best strategy prolly should’ve been the dragons circling the Winterfell perimeter and then blazing as many dead as possible and then send in the troops.  I’ve seen a lot of complaints about the strategy but not many better ideas.  I’m sure Dany has complete confidence in sending out the Dothraki first using one of their biggest guns.  But even if you sent in your weakest soldiers first (that’s not very strategical either), they could’ve been added to the dead increasing their numbers.  And then the next and the next. 

The best strategy would've been doing ANYTHING with the dragons to open things up and soften the dead before using your cavalry or Unsullied. Instead, they charged the Dothraki for no reason, then sacrificed the Unsullied for no reason BEFORE even lighting the trench or using any traps to slow down OR funnel the dead!

It was just so stupid. So stupid. But not stupid enough to where you blame the writers because you could honestly just be like "Well they don't have any real experienced battle planners there and they didn't have a lot of time so they just drew up some quick plan and went with it"

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If Jorah survived that charge, I see no reason why Ghost wouldn't have as well. He's smart. He's not just gonna run into his own death.

I’m not sure how you can make that judgement on a direwolf who hasn’t seen a fraction of the combat or training that Jorah has.  How do we know how Ghost ascertains combat scenarios?  Tbh he is more likely to run into his own death bcuz it’s a wolf, not a swordsman. Would’ve liked to see more of how Ghost got down in battle tho. 

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

I’m not sure how you can make that judgement on a direwolf who hasn’t seen a fraction of the combat or training that Jorah has.  How do we know how Ghost ascertains combat scenarios?  Tbh he is more likely to run into his own death bcuz it’s a wolf, not a swordsman. Would’ve liked to see more of how Ghost got down in battle tho. 

GHOST IS A SAINT AND I WILL NOT TOLERATE HIS DEATH.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The best strategy would've been doing ANYTHING with the dragons to open things up and soften the dead before using your cavalry or Unsullied. Instead, they charged the Dothraki for no reason, then sacrificed the Unsullied for no reason BEFORE even lighting the trench or using any traps to slow down OR funnel the dead!

I guess they were so confident in the wall that they never made any concentrated efforts over the years to make Winterfell more defensible.  Even tho winter had arrived, the could’ve had the dragons burn trenches around the perimeter.  Let the dead fall in there and force them to climb over each other to get out.  

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

I guess they were so confident in the wall that they never made any concentrated efforts over the years to make Winterfell more defensible.  Even tho winter had arrived, the could’ve had the dragons burn trenches around the perimeter.  Let the dead fall in there and force them to climb over each other to get out.  

well tbh there was no reason to ever doubt the wall would be penetrated. I mean it took an undead DRAGON, something nobody even though existed anymore, to open up the wall.

There's so many options to help yourselves when you're facing an enemy that outnumbers you and has no regard for their well-being. Fighting them in the open field without any support from your fortified positions was just so stupid. You give Ramsey Bolton that same number of people and time to prepare and I guarantee he wins that battle without Arya having to save everyone.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It was just so stupid. So stupid. But not stupid enough to where you blame the writers because you could honestly just be like "Well they don't have any real experienced battle planners there and they didn't have a lot of time so they just drew up some quick plan and went with it"

No, it was stupid beyond the point of ignorance. No excuse. Even someone with zero battle knowledge should be able to see that having trebuchet in front of the infrantry, which is in front of the trench is completely backwards. 

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

No, it was stupid beyond the point of ignorance. No excuse. Even someone with zero battle knowledge should be able to see that having trebuchet in front of the infrantry, which is in front of the trench is completely backwards. 

Yeah but we're talking about the guy who charged an entire cavalry by himself here. Jon's not exactly the smartest military mind in the west.

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They could've and probably should've consulted a battle strategist/expert to review their battle plan.

Just now, VikeManDan said:

They could've and probably should've consulted a battle strategist/expert to review their battle plan.

IRL? I'm willing to bet they did, and everything they did was intentional. I can't see this show, and in particular this battle being overlooked like that.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

IRL? I'm willing to bet they did, and everything they did was intentional. I can't see this show, and in particular this battle being overlooked like that.

I'm sure it was intentional. The dothraki were expense to film with all those extras and horses. So just kill them all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

She never said that about Jon. She just said she saw the Bolton banners fall and that hed take back the North. With Stannis she said she was wrong. She grew to realize the blue eyes she saw in Aryas was the NKs. Probably why she went to Volantis, her powers would be stronger there among worshipers.

Take this for what it is worth.

This episode tries to establish that Melisandre's lines to Arya in Season 3 were prophesying that she would kill the Night King - but the simple chronology of this doesn't match up. Benioff stated that they only got the idea Arya would kill the Night King "three years ago", thus when they were writing Season 7 - thus they could not possibly have known Melisandre was talking about the Night King in Season 3.

Source is the link I posted a few posts above under the "Will characters die like this in the novels?" section.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tactics is a pretty easy thing to forgive generally.  I mean, the best tactical decision would have been to just have everyone in the castle with the flaming trebuchets firing while they all shot dragonglass tipped arrows.  But that's way less exciting than a big field battle.

The Dothraki charge I think was entirely so they could do the scene where their lights all go out.  That's it.  Because even worse than the cavalry charge is the fact that before Melisandre showed up, they were gonna do a cavalry charge without any wight-killing weapons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Given how us noobs are commenting on the lack of battle strategy I'm guessing it was overlooked and/or ignored.

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Take this for what it is worth.

This episode tries to establish that Melisandre's lines to Arya in Season 3 were prophesying that she would kill the Night King - but the simple chronology of this doesn't match up. Benioff stated that they only got the idea Arya would kill the Night King "three years ago", thus when they were writing Season 7 - thus they could not possibly have known Melisandre was talking about the Night King in Season 3.

Source is the link I posted a few posts above under the "Will characters die like this in the novels?" section.

Youre digging deeper past face value. And I dont think its there. When they decided it was Arya they just dug up the old line to make it work in that situation because it was there to use.

• Like 1