Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Point still remains though - it was a matter of one scene and they were there. It's a huge depature from earlier season logistics.

It's picky, and it's only an opinion - but the inconsistencies bother me.

I’m not sure why the time jumps bother ppl so much esp in a shortened season.  Should Endgame have shown everything that happened in the 5 years after the snap?

The bigger issue is her continuing to deviate from their plans. She’s reckless and sloppy and it’s going to be her undoing. 

• Like 1

Just now, thrILL! said:

I’m not sure why the time jumps bother ppl so much esp in a shortened season.  Should Endgame have shown everything that happened in the 5 years after the snap?

The bigger issue is her continuing to deviate from their plans. She’s reckless and sloppy and it’s going to be her undoing. 

I felt like a Ringer article actually summed up the problem with the time nicely. It's not that they have sped things up (teleporting) and things like that. It's that when they did that, they actually completely lost the concept of time passing in the show. 

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

CGI is cheaper than you think. They filmed all 5 Sharknado movies for over 3 million less than 1 episode of GOT. 1 episode. And that included paying everyone 5 times.

Every day. Small po-dunk news station around the globe have been using green screen to do weather for 30 years. You can do it at home now just downloading an app. Austin Powers gave himself a hug as Dr Evil in 1999. Its 20 years later, cheaper and more advanced now. Cost 1 intern an hour of work to piece it together.

Bad CGI is cheaper.  Sharknado CGI was bottom of the barrel bad (maybe part of the charm?).  Good CGI needs more than an intern and an hour.  It needs multiple studios working their best ppl for weeks if not months.  

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I felt like a Ringer article actually summed up the problem with the time nicely. It's not that they have sped things up (teleporting) and things like that. It's that when they did that, they actually completely lost the concept of time passing in the show. 

I think the choices in editing have also hurt them too. There are subtle choices they could make that aren’t time-prohibitive and still show time passing.

The biggest question is why only 6 episodes?  You’d think HBO would’ve given them 10+ in a heartbeat.  If they didn’t need 10 then okay but these 4 episodes sure have felt cramped. 

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

I think the choices in exiting have also hurt them too. There are subtle choices they could make that aren’t time-prohibitive and still show time passing.

The biggest question is why only 6 episodes?  You’d think HBO would’ve given them 10+ in a heartbeat.  If they didn’t need 10 then okay but these 4 episodes sure have felt cramped. 

If I was D&D, I would have had 10 episodes for both of the final seasons. Neither season needed to be cut short to tell the whole story. And honestly, those first two episodes of S8 would have been perfect as s7 finale and s8 opener before the long night was 2 episodes long of battle.

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

Just now, thrILL! said:

I think the choices in editing have also hurt them too. There are subtle choices they could make that aren’t time-prohibitive and still show time passing.

I'm wondering if it had something to do with Contractual obligations? Typically when actors and the like sign on for a show, they do so for a very specific time. I'm wondering if a lot of the main characters had expiring contractual obligations that would have A) dramatically increased the cost to produce the show based on much higher / inflated salaries for extensions, and B) maybe had actors exiting the role with like one season left because they were just done with doing GOT

• Like 1

How I would have structured S7 and 8 if I was D&D:

S7, the episodes they had are all the same 7 spots. 

More on Cersei and her quest for the golden company in S7 E8

More on how they plan to beat the night king in S7E9 and a quick battle of last hearth where the dead roll through the umbers (your big moment of S7)

S8E1 would now be S7E10

S8E2 would now be S8E1

S8E2 and 3 would be the Battle of Winterfell

S8E4 would be the recovery from battle of winterfell

S8E5 would be some battles in the riverlands and the Vale

S8E6 would be what S8E4 was but in this alternate universe after the Riverlands and Vale battles

S8E7 would be the initial siege of King's Landing

S8E8 would be the response to the Siege and Cersei doing something crazy

S8E9 would be the final battle

S8E10 would be the final cleanup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm wondering if it had something to do with Contractual obligations? Typically when actors and the like sign on for a show, they do so for a very specific time. I'm wondering if a lot of the main characters had expiring contractual obligations that would have A) dramatically increased the cost to produce the show based on much higher / inflated salaries for extensions, and B) maybe had actors exiting the role with like one season left because they were just done with doing GOT

That’s a great point. And we’ve definitely seen cast members hold studios over the barrel when it comes to contract negotiations (Friends, Seinfeld, BBT, etc). 

47 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Bad CGI is cheaper.  Sharknado CGI was bottom of the barrel bad (maybe part of the charm?).  Good CGI needs more than an intern and an hour.  It needs multiple studios working their best ppl for weeks if not months.  

We arnt talking riding a dragon. Were talking putting a dog slightly bigger than its normal size in the frame with a person. Things that Honey I Shrunk The Kids did 30 years ago.

Edit: Just a quick search on Homemade CGI. Heres a guy adding a minigun to himself using a home computer. And this is 2011.

Edited by PARROTHEAD

32 minutes ago, scar988 said:

More on how they plan to beat the night king in S7E9 and a quick battle of last hearth where the dead roll through the umbers (your big moment of S7)

S8E1 would now be S7E10

S8E2 would now be S8E1

S8E6 would be what S8E4 was but in this alternate universe after the Riverlands and Vale battles

But the series was to be 70 episodes from the start. D&D was getting tired of it consuming their lives. So HBO split up what was to be the last season and had 3 episodes added. So instead of 10 episodes in season 7. We got 7 and 6 over a 3 year span.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

D&D clearly aren't interested in doing the show anymore. Watching the post-episode featurettes it's pretty clear that they're over it. 

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

We arnt talking riding a dragon. Were talking putting a dog slightly bigger than its normal size in the frame with a person. Things that Honey I Shrunk The Kids did 30 years ago.

Edit: Just a quick search on Homemade CGI. Heres a guy adding a minigun to himself using a home computer. And this is 2011.

They should’ve hired him. LoL

I'm not a pets person so IDGAF if he pet Ghost or not. Jon’s barely seen him in years anyway.  I agree with D&D that the scene had more gravitas in him not petting him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Let's be real. Jon is going to pull a master Aemon and re-start the Night's Watch so he doesn't have to be King. It's been foreshadowed and makes perfect sense. 

How? The Night's Watch was meant to combat the WW's. And now they are gone, the only other reason for their existence up until now was to combat the Wildlings which are now friends to the realm.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

S8E1 would now be S7E10

S8E2 would now be S8E1

I would prefer the first two to have happened thats for sure. Start the first season with a farewell episode to all those you don't know will be around the next few episodes or not.