Week One GDT: Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders

BayRaider

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I see this said a lot, but there doesn't seem to be much substance to it. For example, the Super Bowl champion Eagles added Ronald Darby, Timmy Jernigan, Alshon Jeffery, and Jay Ajayi. All were pretty "splashy" moves.

Those are ripple effects compared to adding Talib, Peters, Suh, Cooks, etc. 

Of course, we can't forget the Broncos adding Aqib Talib, DeMarcus Ware, Manny Sanders, and T.J. Ward the year before they won the Super Bowl (going 12-4 that year).

They had someone named Peyton Manning if I recall. Goff is no Peyton Manning. 

I think the Raiders are underrated this year, but I don't see this being a good match-up for them.

You're probably right. I'm being optimistic for the sake of the crowd around here who think the sky is falling. But I the Rams are overrated. They had 2-3 impressive wins last season on an otherwise easy schedule. Went 1 and done in the playoffs. Made some splashy moves this offseason, but still don't think they are Superbowl Caliber the way some make them out 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

They had someone named Peyton Manning if I recall. Goff is no Peyton Manning. 

And the Rams have someone named Sean McVay. Plus, that Goff guy threw 28 TDs to 7 Ints last year while ranking in the top 5 in YPA.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You're probably right. I'm being optimistic for the sake of the crowd around here who think the sky is falling. But I the Rams are overrated. They had 2-3 impressive wins last season on an otherwise easy schedule. Went 1 and done in the playoffs. Made some splashy moves this offseason, but still don't think they are Superbowl Caliber the way some make them out 

The only playoff teams with a tougher SOS than the Rams last year were from the NFCS. If the Rams had an easy schedule, so did every playoff team outside of the NFCS.

13 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Do people know that Sean McVay was first under Jon at Tampa then under Jay at Washington .

I’m pretty sure Jon Gruden understand what’s going to come and will prepare for it.

Sooooo wouldnt McVay inturn know whats to come and prepare for it. 

9 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Yessir, although I’m sure Gruden has added and changed up a ton since then as well. 

I don’t see a clear advantage on either side. Should be a heck of a chess match. Both are going to throw never before seen stuff out there, McVay said that he basically changed up his entire offense this year, which is crazy.

6 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

He hasn’t been with Jon in 10 years but Sean McVay was with Jay Gruden 2 years ago and  Greg Olson was with them last year..

It’s a big advantage for the Raiders.

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And the Rams have someone named Sean McVay. Plus, that Goff guy threw 28 TDs to 7 Ints last year while ranking in the top 5 in YPA.

Let's see if it's sustainable. One year doesn't make a career. The book is out on him now, teams will adjust and the competition is stronger

20 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The only playoff teams with a tougher SOS than the Rams last year were from the NFCS. If the Rams had an easy schedule, so did every playoff team outside of the NFCS.

SOS from year over year is completely meaningless. Case in point, that division fell off big time. It was weak. Beat Seattle without a lot of of their starters on defense. Lost at home. Against AZ. Palmer hardly played and they were a mess. SF was a mess. They played the down NFC East, lost to the Eagles. Beat NO (quality win). Were blown out by Minnesota. 

Then played the AFC South (another weak division) and beat the Jags and Titans (both good wins). 

39 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Do people know that Sean McVay was first under Jon at Tampa then under Jay at Washington .

I’m pretty sure Jon Gruden understand what’s going to come and will prepare for it.

Don't be naive. McVey is a smart guy, he will be ready with some stuff Gruden hasn't seen 

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Let's see if it's sustainable. One year doesn't make a career. The book is out on him now, teams will adjust and the competition is stronger

The book is out on which guy? The HC who is running the system he ran as Washington's OC, which is a variant of the Gruden and Shanahan WCOs, or the traditional pocket passing QB who played lights out in a WCO? The book was already out on both guys. ;)

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

SOS from year over year is completely meaningless. Case in point, that division fell off big time. It was weak. Beat Seattle without a lot of of their starters on defense. Lost at home. Against AZ. Palmer hardly played and they were a mess. SF was a mess. They played the down NFC East, lost to the Eagles. Beat NO (quality win). Were blown out by Minnesota. 

Then played the AFC South (another weak division) and beat the Jags and Titans (both good wins). 

I didn't use SOS from a different year. I used their SOS calculated after 16 games last year. Can you name a better measure of determining difficulty of schedule than the overall records of the Rams' opponents? I doubt it.

I also have to laugh at the Cards being a mess. They went 8-8 last year. They were an average team. They beat the Jaguars the week before the Rams beat them 32-16 and beat the Titans the week after, two playoff teams. The Rams destroyed the Seahawks 42-7 two weeks after they beat the Eagles and the week before the Seahawks beat Dallas.

Fact is that the Rams played 8 games against teams with a winning record and 10 games against teams with a .500 or better record. They went 5-3 and 7-3, respectively.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The book is out on which guy? The HC who is running the system he ran as Washington's OC, which is a variant of the Gruden and Shanahan WCOs, or the traditional pocket passing QB who played lights out in a WCO? The book was already out on both guys. ;)

I didn't use SOS from a different year. I used their SOS calculated after 16 games last year. Can you name a better measure of determining difficulty of schedule than the overall records of the Rams' opponents? I doubt it.

I also have to laugh at the Cards being a mess. They went 8-8 last year. They were an average team. They beat the Jaguars the week before the Rams beat them 32-16 and beat the Titans the week after, two playoff teams. The Rams destroyed the Seahawks 42-7 two weeks after they beat the Eagles and the week before the Seahawks beat Dallas.

Fact is that the Rams played 8 games against teams with a winning record and 10 games against teams with a .500 or better record. They went 5-3 and 7-3, respectively.

Lets be fair here just a little bit..i think rams team to beat, but this is basically goff second year( i think every football fan should erase some if jeff fisher from their memories). Qbs tend to trend up or downwards in 2nd year. Its more film on Goff and his tendencies. So the book is out on Goff now. It doesnt mean its a bad book or teams will even be able to read it. I think sean Mcvay is the huge key. 

44 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Lets be fair here just a little bit..i think rams team to beat, but this is basically goff second year( i think every football fan should erase some if jeff fisher from their memories). Qbs tend to trend up or downwards in 2nd year. Its more film on Goff and his tendencies. So the book is out on Goff now. It doesnt mean its a bad book or teams will even be able to read it. I think sean Mcvay is the huge key. 

Goff is a young QB. Young QBs aren't consistent. But what Goff accomplished last year wasn't a fluke or gimmick. He might not be as good this year, or he might be better. Nobody can really say with any certainty. But it has nothing to do with a book being out on him.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Goff is a young QB. Young QBs aren't consistent. But what Goff accomplished last year wasn't a fluke or gimmick. He might not be as good this year, or he might be better. Nobody can really say with any certainty. But it has nothing to do with a book being out on him.

I think he means offensive schemes in general regress the second year, also causing the QB to regress as well. Seems McVay has a brand new offense though. 

Archived