Week One GDT: Los Angeles Rams at Oakland Raiders

BayRaider

I'm hoping we move Cooper to the slot this week, and feature Richard/Cook. We have to attack the Rams linebackers because their corners, DL, and safeties are all pretty good. On defense, we need to generate pressure. The Rams are going to bring all kinds of looks and if we can't win up front defensively, we have absolutely no chance.

14 hours ago, jrry32 said:

And the OLs in the AFC West, outside of the Raiders, are also very underwhelming. In their respective careers, Donald has 16.5 sacks vs. the NFCW and Mack has 16.5 sacks vs. the AFCW.(assuming I didn't make a counting error)

AFC West is by far superior at running the ball.

I know the Rams are great at running the ball but that’s your team 

On 9/7/2018 at 3:58 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm hoping we move Cooper to the slot this week, and feature Richard/Cook. We have to attack the Rams linebackers because their corners, DL, and safeties are all pretty good. On defense, we need to generate pressure. The Rams are going to bring all kinds of looks and if we can't win up front defensively, we have absolutely no chance.

This. I look for The gameplan to employ Cook and Carrier (both former Rams ironically) to try and exploit the LBs. Jalen Richard receiving out of the backfield as well to hope to neutralize the pass rush. Thankfully we have Gabe/Hudson/KO to go against Suh/Donald. Really going to be earning their paychecks this week

Dose of optimism here (I try):

Last year we were:

garbage covering tight ends

overwhelmed in the middle of the defense and beat up at the point of attack in multiple games

unable to cover running backs

unable to generate pressure inside

A strong edge rush won't fix any of those things, but Guenther may be able to schematically/with good coaching. I'm counting on our interior DL being better as well (which is not saying much after last year).

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's going to have growing pains. Hall and Hurst have a lot of upside, but they are still rookies and get pushed around a little.

Yeah, Hall is going to have a big adjustment because of the jump in competition and Hurst/Key are both small in terms of their weight at the NFL level. 

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This is low key probably the biggest interior matchup all season. Should be fund to watch.

Yeah, I'm interested to see how our OL holds up against their pass rush and how our WR look against their secondary. If we can play well this week you have to feel good going up against almost any other defense in the league. 

24 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Why all the gloom and doom. This team has improved almost everywhere except for Mack and all people are saying this is a garbage team.

The improvements are all open to suspicion. Newcomers and how they mesh, rookies in critical roles, key players prone to injury, age or one year wonder syndrome... Lots of question marks in our "improvements". Oak could easily be competitive tonight, they could also easily be blown to pieces by LA. We simply do not know.

I believe it comes down to coaching.  Our coaching staff could run circles around last years staff and that is without Gruden.  With that said if LA can put it together this year they are one of the most talented teams in the NFL.  We still have a chance though.

Archived