Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) at Packers (1-0)

swede700

Who will have the most receiving yards?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the most receiving yards?

• Stefon Diggs
    • Davante Adams
    • Adam Thielen
    • Randall Cobb
    • Dalvin Cook
    • Geronimo Allison
    • Kyle Rudolph
    • Ty Montgomery
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Other (Post name in thread)

Take aways from the game:

1. It's really really really really really nice having a QB like Kirk. When is the last time we got a 425/4 TD game from a QB? Kirk now has 669 yards and 6 TD's in 2 games (0 INT as far as I'm concerned but the stats say otherwise). He has a legit shot at 1,000 yards next week vs. LOLffalo 3 games into the season.....
2. I'm going to guess it's mostly line play and/or rust but Cook isn't impressing, at all. Love him in the pass game, though.
3. We need to do SOMETHING to stop opposing tight ends. Skittles (Kittle)  tore us apart last week. This week Graham had 95 and nearly a TD
4. Gotta shore up our tackling. Too many missed tackles.
5. Carlson needs to go. I don't think there's any coming back from that.
6. Treadwell needs to go. 3 drops. 2 critical and 1 leading to an INT. Goodbye.
7. All of a sudden, our WR corps looks shallow. Should we give Kendall Wright a call? Pass on Dez/Gordon.
8. I'm done figuring out what a rouging the passer is. It's a joke.
9. I love seeing Packer fans crying over the Matthews penalty. YOU guys brought this upon yourself crying after the Barr hit last year.

8 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

1. It's really really really really really nice having a QB like Kirk. When is the last time we got a 425/4 TD game from a QB? Kirk now has 669 yards and 6 TD's in 2 games (0 INT as far as I'm concerned but the stats say otherwise). He has a legit shot at 1,000 yards next week vs. LOLffalo 3 games into the season.....

Last 400-yard game was Week 9 of 2010 (427), but came with 2 TDs and 2 INTs. Before that was Week 6 of 2004 (417 yards with 5 TDs and 2 INTs).

45 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Take aways from the game:

2. I'm going to guess it's mostly line play and/or rust but Cook isn't impressing, at all. Love him in the pass game, though.
3. We need to do SOMETHING to stop opposing tight ends. Skittles (Kittle)  tore us apart last week. This week Graham had 95 and nearly a TD
4. Gotta shore up our tackling. Too many missed tackles.
5. Carlson needs to go. I don't think there's any coming back from that.
6. Treadwell needs to go. 3 drops. 2 critical and 1 leading to an INT. Goodbye.
7. All of a sudden, our WR corps looks shallow. Should we give Kendall Wright a call? Pass on Dez/Gordon.
8. I'm done figuring out what a rouging the passer is. It's a joke.
9. I love seeing Packer fans crying over the Matthews penalty. YOU guys brought this upon yourself crying after the Barr hit last year.

The Matthews penalty had nothing to do with the Barr hit.  The flag was for lifting Cousins and slamming him to the ground, not for falling with his weight on him.  

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

So it's happened TWICE in 14 years prior to today.

HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!

Before that....

Week 5 of 1998 (at GB) - 442-4-0
Week 12 of 1995 (vs. NO): 398-4-0
Week 10 of 1994 (vs. NO): 410-3-1
Week 9 of 1986 (at WAS): 471-4-1

28 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

The Matthews penalty had nothing to do with the Barr hit.  The flag was for lifting Cousins and slamming him to the ground, not for falling with his weight on him.  

Doesn't matter if it was from the weight falling on him, lifting/slamming, looking at the QB wrong, etc. All of the roughing the passer calls are stemming from the Barr on Rodgers hit last season. I'd bet the farm on that one.

It's not a coincidence that the RTP is being enforced on an insane level the year after the top QB in the league missed 3/4 of the season after being smacked last season and the resulting backlash.

I don't think the enforcement of RTP is this thick if Rodgers gets up and plays after being hit by Barr. and doesn't miss 10 games or whatever.

I knew it would come up as soon as it happened and sure enough the media and PackRats are whining about the hit on Big Cuz that hauled back the interception and gave The Vikes another go.  Funny enough I believe the League made that rule because of the same exact hit done on their wonderboy Rodgers.  Now its come back to bite them in the bum and now its unfair.  9_9

Clay Matthews Jr. pressured Cousins on the first-down play, hitting the quarterback just after he threw and knocking him to the ground in what appeared to be a legal takedown. But officials saw it differently, calling roughing the passer on Matthews. 

The penalty negated the interception, giving Minnesota new life. The Vikings went down the field, scoring the game-tying touchdown and two-point conversion eight plays later.

Matthews was miffed after the game, lost for an explanation for what he thought was a clean hit.

"I mean, I don't know even know where to start to be completely honest with you," Matthews said. "I have so many emotions running through as far as just what a terrible call it was. But at the same time, I don't know what else to do. I mean, I don't know. You let me know.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000963088/article/clay-matthews-miffed-over-crucial-roughing-penalty

All the while Layme Matthews be like whiny_zpsr5ia1i0m.jpg

16 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Doesn't matter if it was from the weight falling on him, lifting/slamming, looking at the QB wrong, etc. All of the roughing the passer calls are stemming from the Barr on Rodgers hit last season. I'd bet the farm on that one.

It's not a coincidence that the RTP is being enforced on an insane level the year after the top QB in the league missed 3/4 of the season after being smacked last season and the resulting backlash.

I don't think the enforcement of RTP is this thick if Rodgers gets up and plays after being hit by Barr. and doesn't miss 10 games or whatever.

Ah gotcha, they will probably have to add more since Rodgers biggest flaw seems to be him being injury prone.  Either way that play really shouldn't have mattered. Easy to point to the refs but both teams could have won today if they played better. Good game, hopefully the vikings don't blow the packers out in Minnesota. 

Just watched the game again. 

Defense did well, particularly in the second half. Held up tough in the red zone. Mack Alexander exposed on a couple plays. Xavier Rhodes gave up some catches but otherwise didn’t get crushed by Adams. Covering TEs and flat routes needs improvement. 

LaQuon Treadwell bobbled the touchdown catch. Something seriously wrong with his hands/mental game. Made a great downfield block on a catch by Rudolph downfield. Otherwise problematic. 

I thought O’Neill did very well in Hill’s absence. Made some blocks on his man and shifted to looping defender after initial block. 

Jones had a lot of problems with the Pack’s interior rush. Consistent push up the middle. Compton was exposed on a couple plays but I thought otherwise did well. 

Diggs, Cousins, and Thielen are monsters. DeFilippos playcalling was much better in the second half. Ran a much more up tempo offense with quick hits and movement. 

Overall, I thought the defense played better than I initially thought. We played a decent game and mostly held Rodgers in check. A disappointing end to an otherwise exciting game. If the punt wasn’t blocked early I think this is a different game. 

Why is it that on the last drive (or 2nd to last drive) we stopped looking at Thielen, Diggs and Rudolph, and started throwing passes to Treadwell? 

Feed these guys. GB couldn't stop them. 

We should have never settled for a FG to try to win it. Go for the throat. They were exhausted and we had the momentum.  It's just infuriating that we packed it in at the very end by running it and going for the FG, and in doing so,  it came back to bite us in the butt. 

We didn't lose but it sure feels like one.

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

Why is it that on the last drive (or 2nd to last drive) we stopped looking at Thielen, Diggs and Rudolph, and started throwing passes to Treadwell? 

Feed these guys. GB couldn't stop them. 

We should have never settled for a FG to try to win it. Go for the throat. They were exhausted and we had the momentum.  It's just infuriating that we packed it in at the very end by running it and going for the FG, and in doing so,  it came back to bite us in the butt. 

Zimmer was asked this question and he simply said something to the effect of “I thought he’d make the kick.” That’s a reasonable expectation, but I agree with the spirit of your statement. They had enough time, two timeouts, Latavius Murray who doesn’t fumble, and Kirk Cousins who hasn’t made many mistakes. Seems logical that they would consider utilizing those last 45 seconds to go for the jugular. Maybe it’s a lesson learned. That said, great teams have had kickers where the same thing would have been done and the kick would have been a formality. That’s why Vinatieri, Tucker, and Goatkowski are so special. 

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Funny, the Packers didn't win, but it feels like a win for them just in the sense that many including myself expected the Vikes to win by double digits, not to mention simply that Rodgers survived this game without getting hurt any worse. In reality though, this tie hurts the Packers more than the Vikings, who should beat the Packers convincingly next time around at home, and will win the division. Best Packers will do is possibly get a wildcard, and that only if fragile Rodgers holds up. That's far from a given.

9 hours ago, St Vince said:

Even with a stacked roster the Vikings can't beat Rodgers. You can only beat the Packers when he's not on the field period. Rodgers at 70% you guys needed  the refs and a horseshoe to even tie us,  even with your team being fully healthy. I'd be concerned about that.

If that's true then you should have no problem beating us when we play again later in the season right?  Rodgers will be healthy by then too (probably).  I still like our chances.  A lot.  :)

12 hours ago, St Vince said:

The Bares and Vikings are suffering from bruised ego's. Both expected to dominate the Packers, both left disappointed.

That picture of Lombardi next to your post looks more like a certain North Korean dictator!  I think you can do better than that.  In fact, don't come back until you have something better as an image for Vince.  You are not likely to come back with better posts themselves...so, we will settle for a better picture.  Go see what you can do.

Archived