Overrated/Underrated Quarterbacks

jetskid007

I feel like the amount of overrated/underrated QBs has reached an all-time high since there is such little variance outside the top 5 and bottom 5 players at the position. Players are now ranked for past accomplishments or brand association rather than recent play. For instance, Dak Prescott is almost unanimously considered a very good QB, but to me, Andy Dalton is a better player. I figured we can use this thread to discuss the position, and list beliefs on who are the most underrated/overrated QBs in the game. 

OVERRATED

1. Dak Prescott - I like him, but to me he's a glorified game manager/back-up level talent. 
  2. Ben Roethlisberger - at his peak he was a top-tier player. He's not the same QB, but like Eli Manning, is considered such due to past accomplishments. Eli Manning should be here as well among broadcasters, but I think fans recognize he's not a top 20 QB anymore. 
  3. Cam Newton - If it weren't for his college and early success as a runner, would he be considered one of the best? Top 5 talent, but not a top tier passer. 
  4. Jimmy Garoppolo - I do feel he will be a top QB, but many have been ready to anoint him as the next GOAT.
  5. Deshaun Watson - RE: Jimmy G. Again, I do think he'll be good, but I've been reading articles that he's the top QB prospect under 25. Please. 

UNDERRATED

1. Alex Smith - Year in, year out he's one of the most efficient at the position, even if he doesn't throw deep often. Gets the job done. 
  2. Matthew Stafford - Right up there as one of the most talented QBs in the game and is constantly putting his team on his back. Put him in a few other situations and it wouldn't surprise me if he would've won an MVP by now. 
  3. Jared Goff - I think people are underselling him. Yes, he has a great coach. Yes, there is talent around him. He doesn't get enough credit for his ability to play the position. 
  4. Ryan Tannehill - Kind of like the Alex Smith-lite. He's been injured so rightfully he hasn't been spoken of lately, but he's one of the more efficient QBs out there. 
  5. Andy Dalton - I don't think he's a great QB, but he's better than given credit for. I think current scheme is the biggest reason for his shortcomings, not his ability to play the position. 

I wouldn't consider Cam overrated he was almost an MVP and took his team to the super bowl.

Ryan Tannehill is straight garbage. Stafford just runs up stats. Don't ever count big ben out he always kind of starts out slow but delivers. Watson, it is his first game didn't play much in preseason lets give him a few more weeks. I agree also on Goff guy is money and will be a very good player.

Just now, Vladimir L said:

Stafford just runs up stats.

Yea and its stuff like this that lets you know hes underrated. FYI i'm a Packers fan. He is just good but rarely has had a full team around him to take the next step. Seems like they get one dominant unit and then suck somewhere else each year. He is the new Philip Rivers of the NFL. 

1. I don't think anyone's overrating Dak anymore.
  2. Roethlisberger is.... a tough one to call, I want to go further into this season before we start calling for his job to be fair.
  3. Cam Newton, I'll choose not to go down that rabbit hole in this thread, if you want my thoughts on that go read the thread in NFL Comparisons. 
  4. This one I totally called. But to be fair, he's throwing to nobodies out there.
  5. His O-Line is pretty bad from what I've heard, 2nd worst only to the Giants.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:
  1. I don't think anyone's overrating Dak anymore.
  2. Roethlisberger is.... a tough one to call, I want to go further into this season before we start calling for his job to be fair.
  3. Cam Newton, I'll choose not to go down that rabbit hole in this thread, if you want my thoughts on that go read the thread in NFL Comparisons. 
  4. This one I totally called. But to be fair, he's throwing to nobodies out there.
  5. His O-Line is pretty bad from what I've heard, 2nd worst only to the Giants.

exactly last year big ben was talking about maybe not having it through the first couple of weeks and lit things up at the end of the year

You guys need to stop saying Roethlisberger is overrated.  He 100% is playing like poop right now, but as soon as the majority acknowledges that he's going off.  Too good of an offense for him not to have some monster games.

Also for the initial list my thoughts:

• Watson - That Texans offense really needs Fuller to open things up.  Once he returns, I expect the Texans O to explode.
  • Jimmy G - He'll be fine.  Vikings at home to open up is not an easy task.
  • Dalton - He is who he is.  Ok, not great QB.  He needs the Bengals to keep investing in the OL.  Dalton needs protection more than he needs weapons (like most QBs).
  • Cam Newton - In his 'MVP' year he played great when his protection was great.  He needs that extra 2 seconds in the pocket more than probably any QB in the NFL sans maybe Dak.

38 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I feel like the amount of overrated/underrated QBs has reached an all-time high since there is such little variance outside the top 5 and bottom 5 players at the position. Players are now ranked for past accomplishments or brand association rather than recent play. 

UNDERRATED

Ryan Tannehill - Kind of like the Alex Smith-lite. He's been injured so rightfully he hasn't been spoken of lately, but he's one of the more efficient QBs out there. 

My brutha! Finally someone who can appreciate Tannehill for the underrated QB he is. I'm expecting a solid year from him in 2018 as it's year two for him in the Gase offense, and he was on track for a 120-something QB rating yesterday before the lightning storm caused the massive delay(s) and ruined the flow of the game. 

The two longest TD passes yesterday were Aaron Rodgers, 75 yards; Ryan Tannehill, 75 yards.

Dolphins have won 8 of their last 9 games that Tannehill started. 

Let me be clear: when I'm saying a QB is overrated, I'm not saying they're bad. The timing of making this thread seems reactionary, but these have just been my thoughts. 

Ben is a great QB. He can still be great. I'm not letting one game change my judgement. What I'm saying is to remove his name and accomplishments and judge him based on the last 3-4 years. Is he really a better QB then Alex Smith, Matt Stafford, Jared, Goff, Kirk Cousins? I don't believe so. The same can be said for Cam. I think he's a phenomenal talent, but is he a top 10 QB the way he's touted to be? I'm not so sure. 

As for Watson- he's absolutely going to be good. But people are out here touting him to be the next great QB based on a small sample last year. There are some who have said he can be Aaron Rodgers level. Please. IMO, Mahomes and Trubisky may be better than Watson. The past 3 draft classes will go down to have been extremely QB-rich, but I'm not buying Watson being the best out of the crop. 

59 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

Biggest garbage scam artist QB active in the NFL that has fleeced teams for around 130 million dollars and keeps getting chances to be a starter is Sam Bradford. Guy is hot garbage and has been overpaid.

Really need to see a Sam Bradford 30 for 30 or Football Life.  Greatest con artist since Albert Haynesworth...

Archived