Week 2: Indianapolis Colts

Ghostnote

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, some time but no open WRs. You’re fine with multiple ints in the 4th quarter when we are trying to win games - most fans are not - or at least they haven’t been historically since I’ve been alive for 39-years. Historically, if a QB throws an int in the 4th Q while trying to tie a score up in the 4th quarter he gets blasted by the fan base and media for throwing an int - see Cousins in 2016 at home vs the Giants - which many believe was the moment the Front Office decided he wouldn’t be re-signed long term in DC.

I think another thing that I’m sure showed up in their tape when watching the Bengals at Colts game in week 1 was that #29 - Malik Hooker - the FS for the Colts has great range and has the talent to one day be mentioned in the same breath as Ed Reed as far as a FS ball hawk with range and ball skills goes.  

Don't get me wrong. I'm still gonna be mad we turned the ball over. I'd rather we NOT get it picked. But on balance, if you asked me which QB I would've preferred on Sunday being down 2 scores (Kirk or Alex), I'm picking Kirk. Even with the INT (which bounced off a receiver's hands), he moved the ball and the offense scored 22 points. We didn't get that INT from our QB. But he also didn't move the darned ball upfield. Can he do it here? I certainly hope he can. But Sunday was an ugly, ugly game for all involved (most notably the defense, OL, WR, and yes the QB)

Additionally, I mentioned in the GDT, why is it that other teams have zero problem penetrating a prevent defense deep or exposing a prevent defense and catching up scores, but we couldn't do that?

One is definitely Smith. The other is the lack of sideline routes and crossing routes underneath. It was like we ran 4 verts and sat the RB at 9 yards for the check down.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

It’s the lack of sideline routes and crossing routes underneath. It was like we ran 4 verts and sat the RB at 9 yards for the check down.

There FIFY!

Bingo! Much more so than Alex. Alex has shown in his first two weeks he can put the ball where he wants with either touch or on a rope. He had balls in each game that displayed both, maybe not enough of them but he did have a few to Prich, a few to Crowder and Reed in tight windows, two to Doctson in a tight window and a pass he put where only Doctson could catch it twice in the first half but he couldn’t come down with either the one on the sidelines or in the back of the endzone.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

There FIFY!

Bingo! Much more so than Alex. Alex has shown the in his first two weeks he can put the ball where he wants with either touch or on a rope. He had balls in each game that displayed both, maybe not enough of them but he did have a few to Prich, a few to Crowder and Reed in tight windows,  one to Doctson in a tight window and a pass he put where only Doctson could catch it twice in the first half but he couldn’t come down with either the one on the sidelines or in the back of the endzone.

Its both my friend. You cannot divorce him from that God awful 4th quarter. He absolutely needed to be throwing long balls when he had the time given the dumpoff route had a defender literally on their hip every play ready to tackle them in bounds. The defense knows to simply sit in that shell now and Alex won't beat them.

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Its both my friend. You cannot divorce him from that God awful 4th quarter. He absolutely needed to be throwing long balls when he had the time given the dumpoff route had a defender literally on their hip every play ready to tackle them in bounds. The defense knows to simply sit in that shell now and Alex won't beat them.

We’re not going to agree. I’ll never agree that a QB should just throw deep just because they’re down by two scores in the 4th quarter. Forcing things leads to turnovers which definitely means you lose games. Taking what the defense gives you and hoping that one of your 3 best playmakers can break some tackles and make a great play could win you a game and could make the defenders creep up further to stop that play and then you can hit a medium to deep shot.  

Just now, turtle28 said:

We’re not going to agree. I’ll never agree that a QB should just throw deep just because they’re down by two scores in the 4th quarter. Forcing things leads to turnovers which definitely means you lose games. Taking what the defense gives you and hoping that one of your 3 best playmakers can break some tackles and make a great play could win you a game and could make the defenders creep up further to stop that play and then you can hit a medium to deep shot.  

We sure aren't gonna agree.

As for bolded. Really? Because I've got a Minny v GB game two days ago that says differently. Yes, you do take the short shots due to what they are running. But you HAVE to take the longer shots to keep the DBs honest. You need to back up the CBs and S's pre snap. You need to throw it deep a few times so that you could either get the long completion, and incompletion, an int, and most preferably the PI (*). Otherwise, they aren't respecting the deep ball and will simply mob the shorter routes.(**) The defenders are not going to creep up at all. They will just keep letting you throw to the middle RB who then gets tackled quickly. The result is a guaranteed loss (see: Redskins v Colts).

(*) I haven't looked at the stats, but we have to be one of the worst teams 2 weeks in in drawing PI

(**) Know who agrees with me on how to attack the Cover 2 shell? Santana

28 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

We sure aren't gonna agree.

As for bolded. Really? Because I've got a Minny v GB game two days ago that says differently. Yes, you do take the short shots due to what they are running. But you HAVE to take the longer shots to keep the DBs honest. You need to back up the CBs and S's pre snap. You need to throw it deep a few times so that you could either get the long completion, and incompletion, an int, and most preferably the PI (*). Otherwise, they aren't respecting the deep ball and will simply mob the shorter routes.(**) The defenders are not going to creep up at all. They will just keep letting you throw to the middle RB who then gets tackled quickly. The result is a guaranteed loss (see: Redskins v Colts).

(*) I haven't looked at the stats, but we have to be one of the worst teams 2 weeks in in drawing PI

(**) Know who agrees with me on how to attack the Cover 2 shell? Santana

I agree with you but to be fair to Turtle's point Cousins did throw another soul crushing game losing pick but then was bailed out by the referees.

8 minutes ago, rizzy said:

I agree with you but to be fair to Turtle's point Cousins did throw another soul crushing game losing pick but then was bailed out by the referees.

I acknowledge that as well. Bad calls happen too (this one was iffy). But I would STILL want that aggressive chance for the win (even if dangerous) over a safe, certain, defeat.

Rolling over and dying while playing on the field as an athlete, is not me. Never was.

"Safe, certain defeat ". How can defend that statement when if Reed didn't fumble, we have the ball on their 21 yard line , down by 12 points  with 5 minutes left in the game and 4 times out ! I know you've ( and I ) have seen dozens of games won and lost in much more precarious straights than this game .  

This game was still winable until Reed's inexcusable fumble .

22 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

"Safe, certain defeat ". How can defend that statement when if Reed didn't fumble, we have the ball on their 21 yard line , down by 12 points  with 5 minutes left in the game and 4 times out ! I know you've ( and I ) have seen dozens of games won and lost in much more precarious straights than this game .  

This game was still winable until Reed's inexcusable fumble .

Yeah, that's not an entirely accurate representation of the situation though. @Wozalready went through how we were running off the clock for them and how our lack of urgency would've left us with bingo time in a previous response to you. I'm not going to repost it.

Even with Reed's fumble, we could've won the game. But only if we had a different QB and different playcalling. We had neither. This was a safe.certain.defeat and I'll stand by that.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, that's not an entirely accurate representation of the situation though. @Wozalready went through how we were running off the clock for them and how our lack of urgency would've left us with bingo time in a previous response to you. I'm not going to repost it.

Even with Reed's fumble, we could've won the game. But only if we had a different QB and different playcalling. We had neither. This was a safe.certain.defeat and I'll stand by that.

I have respect for both you and WOZ but you've both pitching B S. I'd say we have maybe a 30 % chance to win the game until Reed fumbled. Then it went to maybe 3 % !

AND-- How is not entirely accurate ? Fact-5 minutes left. FACT -4 times out. Fact -our ball on their 21 yard line . The point you guys keep ignoring . TIME wasn't a factor !

2 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I have respect for both you and WOZ but you've both pitching B S. I'd say we have maybe a 30 % chance to win the game until Reed fumbled. Then it went to maybe 3 % !

I'm okay with you thinking I'm wrong. Right back atcha! We weren't winning that game. Nothing up until that point showed we had the wherewithal or urgency to actually get into the end zone. Aaron Rodgers came back in Week 1 in a very short time span (throwing deep balls). Minny almost got a win in Week 2 (if not for the sucktastic Kicker which made them settle for a tie) looking downfield (even with an INT and an almost INT in the last few minutes). Other teams seem to have zero problem scoring even garbage TDs against prevent. Not us. 

Archived