2018 Offensive Line Thread

AlexGreen#20

After a quick rewatch of the Bears game looking at Pass Protection I've got.

42 "Plays"

Bulaga: .5 Sacks, 1 Hits, 2 Pressures, 1 Penalties (False Start)

McCray: 1 Sacks, 0 Hits, 1 Pressures, 1 Penalties (Holding)

Linsley: .5 Sacks, 1 Hits, 0 Pressures, 0 Penalties

Taylor: .5 Sacks, .5 Hits, 0 Pressures, 0 Penalties

Bakhtiari: 0 Sacks, 0 Hits, 0 Pressures, 0 Penalties

Montgomery: .5 Sacks, 0 Hits, 0 Pressures, 0 Penalties

Rodgers: 0 Sacks, .5 Hits, 0 Pressures, 1 Penalties (Unpressured Intentional Grounding)

Kizer: 1 Sacks, 0 Hits, 0 Pressures, 0 Penalties

Team: 0 Sacks, 0 Hits, 1 Pressures, 0 Penalties

Total: 4 sacks, 3 Hits, 4 Pressures, 3 Penalties 

+++

Bulaga had the worst of it, but he also had a good number of snaps against one of the best in the business.

McCray had a terrible first two drives but he really settled in after those first few drives and Akiem Hicks isn't exactly an easy matchup.

Bakhtiari turned in a clean sheet for me this game. Very impressed by his performance. 

There were 18 plays in the first half and 24 plays in the second half.

We had 9 pressures/penalties in the 18 plays in the first half.

We had 4 pressures/penalties in the 24 plays in the second half.

+++

Run Blocking assignments (17 rushing plays)

Taylor: 1/2 Positive. 1 and 1/2 Negative. (1 additional negative run in "Run Out The Clock")

Bakhtiari: 2 Positive. 1 Negative (2 half negatives add up to 1 whole)

McCray: 1 Positive. 1 Negative

Bulaga 1 and 1/2 Positive. 1/2 Negative

Lewis: 1 Negative

Kendricks: 1/2 Negative

Linsley: 2 Negative

Graham: 1/2 Positive. 1 and 1/2 Negative

Cobb: 1/2 Positive

Adams: 1 Positive

Rodgers: 2 Negative (Bad reads on Options)

Alignment: 2 Negative (2 additional negatives in "Run Out The Clock")

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Ahhhhh

Did you happen to notice how often Kendricks lined up as an H-back and how effective he was ?

2 snaps on the second drive. Both lined up at TE. Instantly turned 1st and 10 to 3rd and 13 when we ran an empty backfield with 13 personnel and gave up a sack fumble on 1st down.

2 snaps on the third drive. Both lined up at TE. Turned 1st adn 10 into 3rd and 6 on two telegraphed runs up the middle. 13 personnel is the dumbest **** ever.

1 snap on the fourth drive. Started out at TE before motioning back into the H-back spot. Rodgers threw deep to Nelson for an incompletion.

9 snaps on the seventh drive, slot receiver, slot receiver, H-back, TE, slot receiver, boundary receiver, slot receiver, boundary receiver, slot receiver

4 Snaps of running out the clock.

Football Outsiders has him at 19 snaps. 

I lost 1. I think he probably had 10 snaps on the seventh drive with one at boundary receiver that I got him confused with Adams on. 

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6305/how-nfl-offensive-linemen-execute-the-slingshot-technique-to-perfection

Cool article on the "slingshot technique" that OL use on the backside of run plays. Shows Bakh and others executing it

"The Green Bay Packers' David Bakhtiari is one of several NFL offensive linemen who's proficient at the slingshot blocking technique. On the backside of running plays, particularly outside zone, offensive linemen are tasked with executing a cut-off block to deny the pursuit angle of defensive linemen at the first level, or linebackers at the second level.
For the purposes of this article, we will focus on utilizing the slingshot technique to cut off a defensive linemen, typically one who is aligned as a shaded player to the inside of the blocker. This technique is most commonly used for tackles cutting off a 3 or 4i-technique on the backside of outside zone, or even a guard cutting off an inside shade in outside zone, a toss, or a few other select situations"

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6305/how-nfl-offensive-linemen-execute-the-slingshot-technique-to-perfection

Cool article on the "slingshot technique" that OL use on the backside of run plays. Shows Bakh and others executing it

"The Green Bay Packers' David Bakhtiari is one of several NFL offensive linemen who's proficient at the slingshot blocking technique. On the backside of running plays, particularly outside zone, offensive linemen are tasked with executing a cut-off block to deny the pursuit angle of defensive linemen at the first level, or linebackers at the second level.
For the purposes of this article, we will focus on utilizing the slingshot technique to cut off a defensive linemen, typically one who is aligned as a shaded player to the inside of the blocker. This technique is most commonly used for tackles cutting off a 3 or 4i-technique on the backside of outside zone, or even a guard cutting off an inside shade in outside zone, a toss, or a few other select situations"

Thanks for the article. I laughed at the “latching into the frame of the defender, pulling” part. Olinemen & their coaches find many euphemisms for holding. xD

(as a former DE)

Vikings Game:

56 "Plays"

Bulaga: 1 Sacks, 1 Hits,  Pressures, 1 Penalties (False Start)

McCray: 1 Sacks,  Hits,  Pressures,  1 Penalties (False Start)

Linsley:  Sacks,  Hits,  Pressures,  Penalties

Taylor: 1 Sacks,  Hits, 1 Pressures, 1 Penalties (Whistled for a hold that was not a hold)

Bakhtiari: Sacks,  1 Hits, 1 Pressures,  Penalties

Kendricks: Sacks,  Hits, 1 Pressures,  Penalties

Rodgers: Sacks, 2 Hits, Pressures,  1 Penalties (Delay of game)

Team: 0 Sacks, 2 Hits, 2 Pressures, 0 Penalties (2 Overload Blitz for pressure. 1 Line Call/Overload Blitz for a hit. 1 Hit on a screen Pass)

Total: 3 sacks, 4 Hits, 3 Pressures, 4 Penalties (Not including the pressures or hits that were intentionally allowed via Rodgers being his own protection.)

+++

14 QB Pressures in 56 plays is a good day at the office. 11 in 56 if we discount Rodgers making some questionable choices. That's winning football even with Rodgers moving the ball.

I can't believe Linsley had a clean game, but as I go through my notes, I just don't have anything for him.

Bakhtiari continues to be a standout in pass pro.

Shout out to the Running Backs for doing their thing with authority. Williams wasn't challenged really, but the Vikings clearly had it in their game plan to make Montgomery block and he was exceptional with it. You have to love seeing guys turn a weakness into a strength. 

+++

Run Blocking assignments (17 rushing plays)

Taylor: 3 Positive.  Negative. (4 1/2 Positives combine to make a 2 whole) 

Bakhtiari:  1 and 1/2 Positive. 2 Negative  (2 1/2 Positives combine to make a whole) (One Negative is a holding penalty

McCray:  1 Positive.  Negative (2 1/2 Positives combine to make a whole) 

Bulaga  1 Positive.  Negative (2 1/2 Positives combine to make a whole) 

Lewis:  1/2 Negative

Kendricks:  Negative

Linsley:  2 Positive  2 Negative (2 1/2 Positives combine to make a whole) 

Graham:  1 and 1/2 Positive.  Negative (2 1/2 Positives combine to make a whole) 

Cobb: Positive 1 Negative

Adams:  Positive

Rodgers: 3 Negative 

Alignment: 2 and 1/2 Negative 

Williams: 1/2 Positive

Montgomery: 1 Positive

Offensive Line as a whole 1 Positive

Other: 1 (Unpressured QB Scramble)

Archived