Week 2 Thoughts

dtait93

Sorry to hi-jack this from you @deeluxx3 just had some thoughts I’d like to share from yesterday’s game.

-Excellent gameplan as a whole from Vrabel to all of the coaches. Going in I really didn’t think we had any business pulling this one out being that we were so banged up. The fake punt and the wildcat were genius. Hopefully we have some more tricks left in the bag for Jacksonville next week if Marcus still isn’t able to go.

-The pressure. Not sure how much to credit our front 7 for generating it compared to just how bad Houston’s o-line is, but either way, it was beautiful seeing Watson under pressure all game. Landry looked awesome and Casey was a beast all game. I’m excited to see Evans get in there.

-Why did we ever not blitz (aside from the last play)? It seemed like every time we brought atleast 5 they couldn’t do anything. The moment Pees didn’t dial one up and played off coverage we got shredded. They couldn’t stop it, so I don’t see why he went away from it. However, at the end of the day we only gave up 17 points and pulled out the W so I can’t complain.

-Malcolm Butler. Come on man. We didn’t pony up for you to get burned deep every game. That’s 3 times now (since preseason) he’s been had - first Adams, then Stills, and now Fuller. Hate to say it, but you can’t say that’s not a trend. Yeah the throws have been great, but at the same time we’re paying him to blanket guys. Somethings gotta give. He has to be better.

-Rushing defense needs to be a bit better too. We gave up 5.7 ypc. Excluding Watson, Miller and Blue combined for 4.95 ypc. Last week we let Gore gash us too. I think we clean it up against Jax next week.

-Gabbert I actually thought played really well especially for what we asked him to do. Like some of you guys, I thought they coddled him a little too much but I understand why they did with all the o-line woes. He took care of the ball, made the throws we needed him to make, and led the drive we needed him to lead to win the game. Hard to ask for much more from your backup QB.

-Kamalei Correa. Uh how’d we only get him for a 6th rounder again? I love that kids energy. He seemed to be the only one that got any pressure on Tannehill last week and continued generating it again yesterday. We’ll see if he keeps it up but as of now, that’s another trade Robinson’s won imo.

-Well, well, well would you look who led us in tackles again. I really don’t feel like Woodyard gets enough credit. The guy is just rock solid and sets the tone for our defense week in and week out. Excellent leader on top of it all too.

-All in all, a complete team win. From every position coach to the special teams unit to literally the practice squad - everyone deserves credit but kudos has to go to Vrabel for leading it all. On to Crapsonville.

yeah, run defense has been a pretty clear downgrade from last year. not sure if we’re missing williamson or what. hopefully as rashaan comes along he can help us out in that area, but i think come draft time we need to be on the lookout for another impact interior DL to put alongside casey. daquan, logan and johnson are solid rotational guys but not much more.

butler has frankly been disappointing and needs to get it together. adoree has had some mental mistakes (the touchdown he gave up in miami comes to mind) but has been solid overall.

I had time to let the win sink in and here are my thoughts.

First is Vrabel has balls. Vrabel and the staff had an excellent game plan the game plan was so good that we would of never won a game like  yesterday unless it was like the 02-03 Titans. What a difference between what he and his staff did opposed to what Mularkey and Robiskie would have done. Even the QB sneak on 4th and short on our side of the field was a balsy move and it worked. The Titans clearly are starting to take after their head coach.

Offensivley there arnt many complaints. Henry ran angry yesterday. That 3rd and 1 on the GW drive should have been Henry not Lewis. Miami was clearly a Lewis game but yesterday should have been Henry’s.

Davis looks good I’m liking how he’s progressing . That fumble can’t happen though but Lewis made a huge play to knock that thing out of bounds.

Defensivly we are doing fine. Run defense needs to be better but overall we are ok. Casey and Landry were awesome yesterday Landry’s going to be a special one for us if he can stay healthy. Correa didn’t play many snaps but the guy has been nothing short of impactful when he’s been out there. I know he had the missed tackle were he slipped but outside of that he’s been great.

The Butler stats are kind of funny. I still don’t get why they keep putting him on the speed guys on the other teams but that’s something that needs to change fast.

We didn’t see Evans at all hopefully he gets into the fold Sunday against the Jags.

Overall that was a great win the coaches really put the players in a position to succeed. Gabbert did just fine but I really hope Mariota is back Sunday because I’m just not sure we can steal a game against a good defense like the Jags. I can see our defense making Bortles look like the Bortles we’re accustomed to seeing when he plays the Titans but not sure what Gabbert can do to the Jags to get us out to a lead like he got vs the Texans.

Great win though we’ll needed now we need to see if we can atleast get another win vs the division 

8 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Sorry to hi-jack this from you @deeluxx3 just had some thoughts I’d like to share from yesterday’s game.

-Excellent gameplan as a whole from Vrabel to all of the coaches. Going in I really didn’t think we had any business pulling this one out being that we were so banged up. The fake punt and the wildcat were genius. Hopefully we have some more tricks left in the bag for Jacksonville next week if Marcus still isn’t able to go.

-The pressure. Not sure how much to credit our front 7 for generating it compared to just how bad Houston’s o-line is, but either way, it was beautiful seeing Watson under pressure all game. Landry looked awesome and Casey was a beast all game. I’m excited to see Evans get in there.

-Why did we ever not blitz (aside from the last play)? It seemed like every time we brought atleast 5 they couldn’t do anything. The moment Pees didn’t dial one up and played off coverage we got shredded. They couldn’t stop it, so I don’t see why he went away from it. However, at the end of the day we only gave up 17 points and pulled out the W so I can’t complain.

-Malcolm Butler. Come on man. We didn’t pony up for you to get burned deep every game. That’s 3 times now (since preseason) he’s been had - first Adams, then Stills, and now Fuller. Hate to say it, but you can’t say that’s not a trend. Yeah the throws have been great, but at the same time we’re paying him to blanket guys. Somethings gotta give. He has to be better.

-Rushing defense needs to be a bit better too. We gave up 5.7 ypc. Excluding Watson, Miller and Blue combined for 4.95 ypc. Last week we let Gore gash us too. I think we clean it up against Jax next week.

-Gabbert I actually thought played really well especially for what we asked him to do. Like some of you guys, I thought they coddled him a little too much but I understand why they did with all the o-line woes. He took care of the ball, made the throws we needed him to make, and led the drive we needed him to lead to win the game. Hard to ask for much more from your backup QB.

-Kamalei Correa. Uh how’d we only get him for a 6th rounder again? I love that kids energy. He seemed to be the only one that got any pressure on Tannehill last week and continued generating it again yesterday. We’ll see if he keeps it up but as of now, that’s another trade Robinson’s won imo.

-Well, well, well would you look who led us in tackles again. I really don’t feel like Woodyard gets enough credit. The guy is just rock solid and sets the tone for our defense week in and week out. Excellent leader on top of it all too.

-All in all, a complete team win. From every position coach to the special teams unit to literally the practice squad - everyone deserves credit but kudos has to go to Vrabel for leading it all. On to Crapsonville.

Woodyard is a beast. Underrated as they come. Casey had a great game too. 

I wish I had the optimism that our run D will do better against the Jags a team that is real solid in the ground and always kills us on the ground at least one game a year.  I really think our troubles against the run are focus on D they get worried about too many things and just loose their containment or over react to what is going on around them

For the game I was mostly happy with Butler though yes as good as he did it’s all ruined if you give up a big play for 6 and it won't be getting any easier this week the jags have as good as WR core as their is

11 hours ago, quiller said:

I wish I had the optimism that our run D will do better against the Jags a team that is real solid in the ground and always kills us on the ground at least one game a year.  I really think our troubles against the run are focus on D they get worried about too many things and just loose their containment or over react to what is going on around them

For the game I was mostly happy with Butler though yes as good as he did it’s all ruined if you give up a big play for 6 and it won't be getting any easier this week the jags have as good as WR core as their is

I am not looking forward to Grant. He can move. Our run d will be tested and our discipline with the underneath routes. 

Noo fear against this team. But I think it will be a good game. Until they prove they can beat us, I will not crown them best in division. 

Gabbert hasn't had a good game against us in like 4 games or so. 

10 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm starting to think we should have paid Williamson. Compton has, as expected, been a ghost. We're just not playing the run well right now. We need to beef up at LB

Williamson is a good Run defender. But I can't say that we should have paid him. 

It is almost like Tulloch. He was good but at that price? 

I'm hopeful Evans can fill in soon. 

10 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Williamson is a good Run defender. But I can't say that we should have paid him. 

It is almost like Tulloch. He was good but at that price? 

I'm hopeful Evans can fill in soon. 

Yeah, that's true. We're just really feeling his absence right now. We're getting totally ran over. Missed tackles don't help, either, though.

I'd like to see a percentage on how often we're in our base defense. I think a lot of our run defense issues are from trying to put a lot of speed out there and overly playing the pass. I saw one clip of Gore gashing us and we only had 5 in the box on a first or second down.

Archived