? Week 3: Steelers (0-1-1) @ Bucs (2-0)

ravishingone

1 minute ago, ravishingone said:

Yup the 12 personnel 3-4 teams have to make a decision.

We moved the ball all over Pittsburgh. Turnovers and drops killed us. I was a little worried about how our offense would hold up against a 3/4 but we did alright.

Could've been better. But it was good enough to win.

Defense is another story. Offense put us in holes. But we gave up too much easy stuff again. Like we always do. 30/38 is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We've gotta do something, man. We can't continue to play this style of defense. But we will.

I think Smith is a lousy play caller, who is way too predictable with his tendencies.  Not to mention like Koetter his faith in sticking with average vets is appalling.  Conte should not be playing injured or not.  He is what he is, if Whitehead gets run over like that, off to the bench he goes.

Just now, Caaddy24 said:

This is why VEA was drafted. He will make a huge difference when he's in. 

I mean. I hope he makes an impact right away. But he's gonna have to push the pocket on his first snap and never stop. The defense gives up too much short stuff. And I don't know if pressure can fix that.

19 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Forget the QB controversy, Mike Smith should be on thin ice, but he won't. 

My way too early prediction is that Koetter will be back next year. But with another bottom 3 defense and these numbers that have already been discussed, you have to put friendship aside and freakin fire the guy. He will get you fired and this team will not win with that defense. Imagine if we actually had a 15th ranked defense.

2 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I think Smith is a lousy play caller, who is way too predictable with his tendencies.  Not to mention like Koetter his faith in sticking with average vets is appalling.  Conte should not be playing injured or not.  He is what he is, if Whitehead gets run over like that, off to the bench he goes.

It's that communication problem they always talk about. It can't be that difficult. Everyone should know their responsibility. If they don't, that's on coaching. It doesn't matter if you're a rookie or a 10 year vet. The coaches need to be able to tell you what to do in every coverage. In our case, there are like three coverages. And they're basic af.

If there's motion and the coverage changes so drastically that guys blow their assignments, that's AGAIN on coaching.

We run three deep a lot. It's simple. Our underneath guys spread out into quarters and drop and drop and drop until there's a completion short. Then they swarm. Or we drop into four deep with three guys playing thirds underneath. They drop and drop and drop until we give up the short pass and swarm to the ball.

That's like 90% of our defense. But it's so complicated that we blow assignments all over the place. And I don't know how.

8 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I mean. I hope he makes an impact right away. But he's gonna have to push the pocket on his first snap and never stop. The defense gives up too much short stuff. And I don't know if pressure can fix that.

Vea should definitely help, but not to the sound of making the 32nd best defense top 20.

8 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Vea should definitely help, but not to the sound of making the 32nd best defense top 20.

Justin Evans is improving every game. The rookie CB's just need some confidence. And Grimes just needs some playing time. I think they did a pretty good job tonight actually. The offense giving up the ball 4 times does not help. But the Steelers run game was stuffed all game. Ben made some plays after narrowly escaping. I just don't think they're as bad as the stats suggest. 

Archived