? Week 3: Steelers (0-1-1) @ Bucs (2-0)

ravishingone

25 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Safety isn't a prioritized position in the NFL. Look at where they're drafted. Look at their contracts. Look at all the good safeties that were FAs forever. 

For whatever reason, teams care almost as little about safety as they do RB.

I think Whitehead is going to be a player.  They need Vea badly right now with Allen and In rain on the shelf.

50 minutes ago, Jimmy Austin said:

This team needs to dump Jason Licht. I don't know what other people's thoughts of him are but his draft record looks like crap. Passing on Dalvin Cook last year and passing on a secondary difference maker in Derwin James this year. Trading up for a kicker. That is not looking good for him. 

I was an advocate for Derwin James but Vea Vita pick has grown on me. He can make a difference by stopping the run and causing errand throws. McCoy finally has a good DT next to him and we have yet to unleash him. I hope he is ready to play Sunday because the Bears game is going to be another grind it out.

12 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I think Whitehead is going to be a player.  They need Vea badly right now with Allen and In rain on the shelf.

Nice autocorrect. ?

Yeah. I think we've got two safeties that're gonna be good. Losing Hargreaves hurts. But Ryan Smith, Davis, and Stewart have all flashed potential.

We're just really young back there. And our super duper complex coverage schemes are too much. I think we've got potential to have at worst a decent secondary.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Nice autocorrect. ?

Yeah. I think we've got two safeties that're gonna be good. Losing Hargreaves hurts. But Ryan Smith, Davis, and Stewart have all flashed potential.

We're just really young back there. And our super duper complex coverage schemes are too much. I think we've got potential to have at worst a decent secondary.

Darn it ?

Just now, indifference said:

Whitehead needs to start next week. He makes plays while Conte makes other guys highlight reels. 

It's funny that some *cough* JBF *cough* always stick up for Conte. But once every few weeks he blows a major coverage or gets destroyed some way or another. Can't hate on Conte the person. But Conte the player needs to stick to special teams and a few snaps in relief on defense.

Just now, bucsfan333 said:

Nice autocorrect. ?

We're just really young back there. And our super duper complex coverage schemes are too much. I think we've got potential to have at least a decent secondary.

Personally, I don’t think the scheme this year has been difficult. Guys have just been out of position pre-snap and QBs are just taking advantage of it. Conte got beat before the QB said hike on the first wide open blown coverage. I just shake my head at Mike Smith. The TD before the half for Swizter was all pre snap. Guys dont even put themselves into winning situations when it comes to the DBs. Its not a DB coach fault. Its Smith. He is responsible for going over alignments/formations and scenario based football. He was a good DC in 2008 but his time as a DC is good as gone. Off coverage can burn you just as fast as playing tight. Hence the AB TD. 

FIRE Mike Smith

Gotta give the game ball to JPP. He was great despite playing banged up. Made plays against the run and had 2 sacks FF and hit Big Ben 4 times. The LT he faced was a pro bowler last year. Guy balled his *** off and his play last night will be forgot about because we lost. Very strong game from him.

10 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I guess we could ask this question at the end of the season but due to my frustration with our defense... what’s the likelihood Mike Smith is fired? Or is his contract up? Got to get someone else in here to run the defense.

Everyone could be fired after the season.

I'd like to think a change is made on defense. But I don't know. We looked lost in the first half. Then shut them out in the second half. I'm worried there's just enough good sprinkled in on defense that Smitty sticks around if Koetter does. But I hope not.

12 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I guess we could ask this question at the end of the season but due to my frustration with our defense... what’s the likelihood Mike Smith is fired? Or is his contract up? Got to get someone else in here to run the defense.

I think if Trubisky carves up,the defense on Sunday, I think a play caller change on defense.  Licht and Koetter are tied to Mike Smith s failings.  They are 32 in defense again, this is absurd.  Jim Bates was fired for less.  I think this call will be made above Koetter s head.  I think Duffner will take over.

I have to believe Mike Smith is coaching for his job this week.

I haven’t watched the full game yet (work/ being 5 hours ahead of you guys will do that), but from the box score, why the hell did we call 55 passing plays?!

Even with the game situation, we didn’t think we could run effectively on a 6 man box?!

26 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I have to believe Mike Smith is coaching for his job this week.

I haven’t watched the full game yet (work/ being 5 hours ahead of you guys will do that), but from the box score, why the hell did we call 55 passing plays?!

Even with the game situation, we didn’t think we could run effectively on a 6 man box?!

At this point Smith has to be coaching for his life.  I m tired of silver linings with this defense to take  heat off Smith.  Oh, look at the 5 game stretch in year 1.  They play better at home.  They shutout the Steelers in the 2nd half.  Enough is enough.  Worse defense in the league is inexcusable.  I wish Koetter would channel his inner Sean Payton at this point.  Friendship needs to go out the window.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

A 30-10 halftime deficit usually makes teams wanna throw the ball more.

True, but surely we’d be getting a positive box which would help us stay balanced?

A draw play or handoff during our last drive may have got us ahead of the chains and generated some momentum.

Archived