Bears could win it all If they had a halfway decent QB

Viper652

16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I disagree and think you are selling the talent around Trubisky short. If Garropolo or Cousins were on this team they would be competing for the division crown with MIN and GB.

All well and good but they still wouldn't be a serious threat for a Lombardi.  There are just too many other better teams in the NFL for that to happen.  And its irrelevant anyway because they don't have Cousins or Jimmy G, they have Trubisky, and Trubisky simply doesn't have nearly enough talent around him to get this team beyond 8 wins or so IMO.

Even if they had one, their division is good. Don't count the lions out because of two mediocre weeks either. They aren't a bad team.

The Bears are going to have to make serious improvements on offense to be a threat for this division and it still may not be enough.

Why don't we give more credit to teams that have played better than the bears to this point. The dolphins and bengals come to mind as teams that have played better and both at this point have significantly better qb's than the bears do.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:49 AM, SmittyBacall said:

I disagree and think you are selling the talent around Trubisky short. If Garropolo or Cousins were on this team they would be competing for the division crown with MIN and GB.

How could you say Jimmy G? He got smacked by the Vikings in week1. He should have looked better vs the Lions at home too. 

Their D looks very good and will be for years to come....although they could use some improvement in their secondary talent.  Not impressed with their overall talent on offense however, and without any first round picks and minimal cap space over the next few seasons it will be tough to improve there unless Trubisky takes a huge leap as a QB.  Signing Trey Burton for 8 million a year looks like a terrible move so far if he's going to continue to be such a minimal part of the passing offense (35 yards total through 2 games) and with Trubisky as QB not sure they will be getting their money's worth for Robinson.  Love Howard and Cohen though.  

Although looking at Cohen's stats, im surprised he only has 66 total yards of offense this year so far???   Seems like from watching the games he has been much more involved than that....weird.

11 hours ago, megatechpc said:

All well and good but they still wouldn't be a serious threat for a Lombardi.  There are just too many other better teams in the NFL for that to happen.  And its irrelevant anyway because they don't have Cousins or Jimmy G, they have Trubisky, and Trubisky simply doesn't have nearly enough talent around him to get this team beyond 8 wins or so IMO.

Again, I think you’re wrong. You act like there is some elite top tier right now separating actual contending teams versus a field of pretenders. Every team right now has it’s faults. If the Bears had Cousins/Garropolo they would be a serious contender for the Lombardi. If you agree they’d be competing with Green Bay and Minnesota for the division (with upgrades at QB) then you’re admitting they’d be a SB contender because it’s self-evident MIN and GB are.

They are that talented on both sides of the ball.

41 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You can always tell who actually watches the game and who checks the box score. Guess which one you are.

He looked like garbage when it came to throwing over the middle vs Minny. His 3 picks weren’t good at all. They were all on him. One maybe is on the WR because he fell but the corner read it so well he jumped it so well that I don’t think it mattered what the WR did. He had about 2-3 drops that hurt him. He never looked comfortable. Best plays were PA to TEs running short. Detroit is garbage so everything against them is meaningless

8 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Again, I think you’re wrong. You act like there is some elite top tier right now separating actual contending teams versus a field of pretenders. Every team right now has it’s faults. If the Bears had Cousins/Garropolo they would be a serious contender for the Lombardi. If you agree they’d be competing with Green Bay and Minnesota for the division (with upgrades at QB) then you’re admitting they’d be a SB contender because it’s self-evident MIN and GB are.

They are that talented on both sides of the ball.

I just said they would be a contender that would likely make the playoffs if they had a Cousins or Jimmy G?  But the thread title is "Could the Bears win it all if they had a halfway decent QB" and I totally disagree that they would have a chance to actually win the SB even if they had a decent QB (not Rodgers or Brady but decent).  Put Cousins on this roster and then assume they make it to the NFCCG.  Would they really be favored over teams like the Rams, Falcons, Saints, Packers, etc?  I don't think so, and that's all I'm saying...

7 hours ago, buno67 said:

He looked like garbage when it came to throwing over the middle vs Minny. His 3 picks weren’t good at all. They were all on him. One maybe is on the WR because he fell but the corner read it so well he jumped it so well that I don’t think it mattered what the WR did. He had about 2-3 drops that hurt him. He never looked comfortable. Best plays were PA to TEs running short. Detroit is garbage so everything against them is meaningless

Detroit is not garbage IMO.  They have simply not gelled under Patricia yet and Stafford is not playing well so far (its only week 3 after all).  Keep in mind that SF had dominated that whole game until Stafford went into garbage time mode and got them close at the end.  The final score being close was not Jimmy G's fault and he actually played well in that game (and every other game he's started as a pro besides week 1 vs Minnesota).

I like to call the first quarter of the season the "Overreaction" quarter since fans and media always swoon over the big performers and call for coaches to get fired over the bad performers.  Its actually quite funny.  There is only one definitive determination I can make about any of the teams (or how the season will eventually unfold) at this point and that's that the Bills or Cardinals will be getting the first overall pick next year.  I don't think TB, KC, MIA, DEN, or CIN are nearly as good as they look right now just as I don't think PITT, NO, DET, or HOU are nearly as bad as they look right now.  

We've seen two games from these teams guys, anything is still possible at this point.  Atlanta looked like they'll never score a TD in the RZ against the Eagles and then went 4/4 in the RZ against the Panthers.  The Eagles have looked pretty bad with Foles in there but here comes Wentz.  The Bears have supposedly resurrected the "Monsters of the Midway" but they have only really feasted on Deshone Kizer and a horrific Seattle OL (they got torched and embarrassed by Aaron Rodgers after all). 

Two games is simply not enough of a sample size to make definitive determinations about any of these teams so far.  Believe me, by the halfway mark of the season we will all have a much better notion of which of these teams is really legit and which are paper tigers...

Archived