2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

What makes you say that about Taylor? In my mind he comes in and plays guard for a year.

Ferguson seems like a Pettine OLB and reminds me of KC’s OLBs. He’s got all of the tools but bend, in my opinion, which will push him down but he’s an NFL starter.

On Taylor- He's an end of round 1 prospect since teams see him as a right tackle, not left (which is fine for us), but why would we want to use a top 12 pick on a future right tackle? Seems like a little waste. .Then I really don't like the idea of moving him out of his natural spot for a year just to fill a need. The tackles who have had success for us at guard all had redshirt season before being thrust in the lineup. Rushing a rookie who's never played at a spot to fill a need has kind of failed for us (see Sherrod/Spriggs). It isn't that easy to make the swith.

On Ferguson- I like his tools too. If we grabbed him I'd be stoked. He has top end upside. I will say though,  I get the vibe he's the fun tools edge prospect that fans love and teams don't draft until round 3/4 since he's a big project (example from 2018 would be Arden Key or Dorance Armstrong). The guy has poor technique, needs to put on weight. Maybe a team falls in love with him, but I think (and I've heard from a few scouting pods) he's at best a situational player year one, which makes him a 3rd round pick at best. 

Relevant as I examine WRs:

Allison, MVS, EQ, J'Mon, Lazard, Davis, Kum, I don't know why I just used Kum as an abbreviation for Kumerow, I guess everything needs an abbreviation nowadays. Also I don't know why I included Davis in that list.

Thats 7 already. Plus Adams is 8.

Its either day 1 or 2 on WR right? Like theres no value in taking another late round guy?

5 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Allison, MVS, EQ, J'Mon, Lazard, Davis,�Kum, I don't know why I just used Kum as an abbreviation for Kumerow, I guess everything needs an abbreviation nowadays. Also I don't know why I included Davis in that list.

Its either day 1 or 2 on WR right? Like theres no value in taking another late round guy?

If you can get another EQ/MVS to be #5 and take the place of Moore/Davis/Kumerow/Lazard, there's definitely value in that IMO.

32 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Allison, MVS, EQ, J'Mon, Lazard, Davis, Kum, I don't know why I just used Kum as an abbreviation for Kumerow, I guess everything needs an abbreviation nowadays. Also I don't know why I included Davis in that list.

Since GB is dealing with a new HC and offensive system, who knows how the WR group outside of Adams is viewed.

31 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

The only people counting Lazard in the mix are you and his mom. Davis if he makes the team, would be strictly a KR and absolute emergency WR. 

That drops us to 6, which includes a white guy who's been cut by multiple teams, a few late round picks (one who couldn't get on the field despite injuries), and a former UDFA arena league player who got hurt last year. You could still justify a late rounder, especially if that player can return kicks.

15 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The only people counting Lazard in the mix are you and his mom. Davis if he makes the team, would be strictly a KR and absolute emergency WR. 

That drops us to 6, which includes a white guy who's been cut by multiple teams, a few late round picks (one who couldn't get on the field despite injuries), and a former UDFA arena league player who got hurt last year. You could still justify a late rounder, especially if that player can return kicks.

How the heck is that relevant to the conversation? If the kid can play the kid can play. Being cut so many times shows a certain amount of perseverance and dedication that makes him more attractive IMO, not less. 

57 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

All depends on value at the time of the pick.   If GB has a 3rd round grade on a WR and that player is still on the board in the 5th (and the highest rated player on GB big board), then that would likely be the pick.

13 minutes ago, Golfman said:

How the heck is that relevant to the conversation? If the kid can play the kid can play. Being cut so many times shows a certain amount of perseverance and dedication that makes him more attractive IMO, not less. 

PC I see.

Kumerow is almost 27 and has 103 yards in his career. He is pretty much at his ceiling right now, which is 4th wr.

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

On Taylor- He's an end of round 1 prospect since teams see him as a right tackle, not left (which is fine for us), but why would we want to use a top 12 pick on a future right tackle? Seems like a little waste. .Then I really don't like the idea of moving him out of his natural spot for a year just to fill a need. The tackles who have had success for us at guard all had redshirt season before being thrust in the lineup. Rushing a rookie who's never played at a spot to fill a need has kind of failed for us (see Sherrod/Spriggs). It isn't that easy to make the swith.

On Ferguson- I like his tools too. If we grabbed him I'd be stoked. He has top end upside. I will say though,  I get the vibe he's the fun tools edge prospect that fans love and teams don't draft until round 3/4 since he's a big project (example from 2018 would be Arden Key or Dorance Armstrong). The guy has poor technique, needs to put on weight. Maybe a team falls in love with him, but I think (and I've heard from a few scouting pods) he's at best a situational player year one, which makes him a 3rd round pick at best. 

I haven’t heard anything about teams viewing Taylor as a RT only. If it’s only because he played that side in college this isn’t 2005 anymore. Both tackles at modern college programs do the same things. Either way we shouldn’t be picky about adding too much talent to our offensive line. 

Question for all on Ed Oliver. 

IF and that’s a big if, he comes in with adequate to long arms and runs in the 4.7 range, which he could. Does anyone think he could have a shot at OLB in Perine’s defense? He might be a little light for DL in the nfl but not OLB. He sure looks as quick as most of the top OLB’s/EDGE guys in this draft.

The guy is as athletic a DL as I’ve seen. Watched a video that I can’t find right now that showed him running routes like a gifted TE or and looked like he could definitely play there. VERY smooth athlete. 

59 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Laughed. 

I want him at TE.

Kumerow was on the same page as 12 faster than any of the rookie WR last year. If he didn't end up on IR for the first 12 weeks last season he might've gotten his shot. He looks like he might be able to contribute if he gets the opportunities. I don't care how old he is. Get open and I'll take that ERFA salary. What he really needs is a sweet abbreviated name. 

I just don't see a late round WR being better than the sophomore seasons those guys should be grabbing at. If I'm taking a WR, he's gotta have third round or better talent this year.

Archived