2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

30 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

I still like Polites gametape so much more than Burns. Altho...I could get on board with a Burns selection.

Porque no los dos?

Picking whatever edge at 12 and then Polite if he is there at 30 isn't completely indefensible.  Like the situation at edge is such that they probably do want to double dip and quality pass rushers are pretty much always high picks these days.

6 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Porque no los dos?

Picking whatever edge at 12 and then Polite if he is there at 30 isn't completely indefensible.  Like the situation at edge is such that they probably do want to double dip and quality pass rushers are pretty much always high picks these days.

Si, dos

3 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I wouldn't mind Oliver at 12, a TE at 30 and Simmons at 44.

I think Oliver/Clark/Simmons means we have a top 10 D for the next 8 years.  Mix Daniels in there and wow.

Drafting Oliver and Simmons is redundant.  You're drafting 1 DL in the top 3 rounds max.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Packers Talk:

Peter Schrager – NFL Network

No. 12: Devin White, Inside Linebacker – LSU

No. 30: Marquise Brown, Wide Receiver – Oklahoma

Brad Kelly – The Draft Network

No. 12: Brian Burns, Edge – Florida St.

No. 30: Irv Smith Jr., Tight End – Alabama

Will Brinson – CBS Sports

No. 12: Ed Oliver, Defensive Tackle – Houston

No. 30: Pick traded to the Steelers for Antonio Brown

Mel Kiper Jr. – ESPN

No. 12: Marquise Brown, Wide Receiver – Oklahoma

No. 30: Devin Bush, Inside Linebacker – Michigan

Chad Reuter – NFL.com

No. 12: Jachai Polite, Edge – Florida

No. 30: Irv Smith Jr., Tight End – Iowa

Todd McShay – ESPN

No. 12: Devin White, Inside Linebacker – LSU

No. 30: Oshane Ximines, Edge – Old Dominion

Peter Schrager – NFL Network

• No. 12: Devin White, Inside Linebacker – LSU
  • No. 30: Marquise Brown, Wide Receiver – Oklahoma

Yuck.  Unless we're adding 2 HIGH END edge rushers in UFA, I want nothing to do with White at 12.  I like Brown, but this is a nightmare first round unless we throw 28-30+ million a year at a couple Edge guys in UFA.  

Brad Kelly – The Draft Network

• No. 12: Brian Burns, Edge – Florida St.
  • No. 30: Irv Smith Jr., Tight End – Alabama

Don't hate this one.  Burns has grown on my after gaining 15 lbs and keeping his speed at the combine.  Don't love Smith in the first now that we know he's a small midget of a TE.  Would much prefer him at #44 if he was the selection.  

Will Brinson – CBS Sports

• No. 12: Ed Oliver, Defensive Tackle – Houston
  • No. 30: Pick traded to the Steelers for Antonio Brown

I'd be pissed about the compensation but this would probably be my favorite of the bunch.  I'd drool over the possibility of Brown, Adams and Rodgers on the same offense. I think our offense is a lot worse off than a lot of folks though.

Mel Kiper Jr. – ESPN

• No. 12: Marquise Brown, Wide Receiver – Oklahoma
  • No. 30: Devin Bush, Inside Linebacker – Michigan

Yuck, to the 1000th extreme. Similar to the first one.  Unless we're all of our cap space on a pair of edge rushers I hate the idea of addressing these 2 positions in the first.  I love Bush but he alone isn't even slightly helping our current defense.  

Chad Reuter – NFL.com

• No. 12: Jachai Polite, Edge – Florida
  • No. 30: Irv Smith Jr., Tight End – Iowa

Like the positions, don't love the players.  If #30 was indeed one of the Iowa TEs (like it states), I'd like it a lot more.  

Todd McShay – ESPN

• No. 12: Devin White, Inside Linebacker – LSU
  • No. 30: Oshane Ximines, Edge – Old Dominion

Yuck.  Feel like Ximines is a large reach there and I don't love any draft that has White at #12 unless we spend an unprecedented amount of money on UFA edge rushers.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Drafting Oliver and Simmons is redundant.  You're drafting 1 DL in the top 3 rounds max.

well, Simmons wont be ready right away and allows you to let Daniels walk next year and spend that 10m somewhere else.

and edge wont be as important when you can get pressure with 3 or 4 :)

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is it though?  That's 2 top 5-15 talents in a lot of drafts.  Next years IDL class isn't going to hold a candle to this year's and Daniels time as a Packer is coming to an end sooner rather than later.  Probably not ideal for next year but that's a ton of value for a DC who loves his IDL.

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Brown's not even their type of WR; he's a full inch shorter than Cobb!

Unless it's in the second round, I want nothing to do with Brown.  

Sure Brown is an inch shorter than Cobb, he's also a half football field faster and a much better route runner.  Green Bay has shown that being their "type" isn't the end all be all.  

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

Unless it's in the second round, I want nothing to do with Brown.  

Sure Brown is an inch shorter than Cobb, he's also a half football field faster and a much better route runner.  Green Bay has shown that being their "type" isn't the end all be all.  

Eh, GB has been pretty strict on WRs. The only WR they broke for was Cobb and that was after he fell a full round from where people expected him to go. Other than that it's no short guys.

Just now, rcon14 said:

Eh, GB has been pretty strict on WRs. The only WR they broke for was Cobb and that was after he fell a full round from where people expected him to go. Other than that it's no short guys.

Probably could have said exactly the same thing last year when we drafted Cole though.  The idea that Green Bay refuses to make exceptions to their "type" isn't true.  Sure, there are body types and athletic profiles they prefer but it's obviously not their end all be all.  We've also got a new GM who has one draft under his belt so it's hard telling if he's going to follow exactly the same guidelines as Thompson.  

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

To be fair, that's 2017 tape.  Taylor humiliated Burns this year basically treating him like a tackling dummy.

Fair point. The dip and burst ability in and of itself is the impressive trait on display here. Good stuff to work with. 

Archived