2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

1st rd TE's the last 5 years, you tell me which ones ended up being worth it.

Hayden Hurst. OJ Howard. Evan Engram. David Njoku. Eric Ebron. Tyler Eifert.

Meanwhile 2nd and 3rd rd TE's dominate the DC's

If Eifert was healthy he'd be worth it. Happens at other postions too, look at Perry.

Ebron looks good.

Others it's too early to tell. 

Vernon Davis

Marcedes Lewis

Greg Olsen

Zach miller

Dustin Keller

Brandon Pettigrew

Jermaine Gresham

Rob Gronkowski (42nd)

Tyler Eifert

Zach Ertz (35th)

Eric Ebron

Hunter Henry (35th)

O.J. Howard

Evan Engram

David Njoku

Out of all of the early TEs picked Dustin Keller looks like the only one who was a complete bust. So not only is it hard to find them late, but the chances of them busting looks a lot lower than other positions. 

EDIT: Maybe Brandon Pettigrew as well for busts.

I'd be more than happy to get a Evan Engram (Fant) or Mercedes Lewis (Hockenson) late first if that is a rough idea of their floor. and hope for a Graham (Fant) or Gronkoski (Hockenson). 

1 hour ago, Burnett42 said:

Out of all of the early TEs picked Dustin Keller looks like the only one who was a complete bust. So not only is it hard to find them late, but the chances of them busting looks a lot lower than other positions. 

EDIT: Maybe Brandon Pettigrew as well for busts.

I'd be more than happy to get a Evan Engram (Fant) or Mercedes Lewis (Hockenson) late first if that is a rough idea of their floor. and hope for a Graham (Fant) or Gronkoski (Hockenson). 

Maybe I'm crazy, but I view only Gronk and Ertz as having a First Round impact type career from that list. Greg Olsen had a stretch of 5 years possibly worthy as well. This is off the top of my head without looking at any numbers. Finley (end of the Third Round) had a better career than some of those guys

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I view only Gronk and Ertz as having a First Round impact type career from that list. Greg Olsen had a stretch of 5 years possibly worthy as well. This is off the top of my head without looking at any numbers. Finley (end of the Third Round) had a better career than some of those guys

You're definitely undervaluing Howard. And Engram has shown potential, just needs more time, I can see him having a huge year with Beckham gone.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Now compare that to 3rd and 4th round TEs. I haven't even heard of most of them.

Mat Spaeth

Scott Chandler

Martrez milner

Brad Cottam

Craig Stevens

Jermichael Finley

Martin Rucker

Jacob Tamme

Derek Fine

Jared Cook

Chase Coffman

Ravis Veckum

Shawn Nelson

Anthony Hill

Ed Diskson

Toney Moeaki

Jimmy Graham

Aaron Hernandez

Dennis Pitta

Garret Graham

Clay Harbor

Rob Housler

Jordan Cameron

Luke Stocker

Julius Thomas

Michael Egnew

Ladrious Green

Evan Rodriquez

Orson Charles

Adrien Robinson

Rhett Ellison

Tracis Kelce

Jordan Reed

Dion Sims

Levine Toliolo

C.J. Fiedorowicz

Richard Rodgers

Crockett Gillmore

Clive Walford

Tyler Kroft

Jeff Heuerman

Blake Bell

Austin Hooper

Nick Vannett

Tyler Higbee

Jonnu Smith

Michael Roberts

54 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Also overvaluing Finley if you have him above Vernon Davis. Maybe Effort if healthy. Howard and Engram will I'd be pretty surprised if they are not looked at as better when all is said and done.

57 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Also have to think about QB play and scheme. Not many of them would be good in Mike McCarthy;s offense but would be a lot better with LaFluer. 

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

But if you're sitting on the board and you have a WR (say Deebo Samuel or Parris Campbell) and another similar valued player at a more valuable position (say EDGE or S), which one do you take?  If my choice is between CGJ or a Campbell/Samuel, I'm taking CGJ.

I dunno, I am not sure I am that high on CGJ....I want to be sold on him as a S but I am not sure he will ever take the angles of a natural S. I just have that fear someone is going to overdraft CGJ. It depends on who the Edge or S is available that is said to be rated the same as Samuel or Campbell. I have a higher grade on them I guess then some of the Edge or S without accounting for positional value.

The real point of my post is that I think the Pack has an opportunity in this draft to really make their defense special for the next 2-4 years. However, to me it really depends on how they feel about their young WR corps. There is sentiment that the Pack is very happy with their young guys coming up.

I am encouraged that before the injury, I think Allison was about to break out- he was really starting to make some nice plays and showed more RAC then I originally pegged him for coming out of IL. I really think Moore is going to benefit greatly with a different scheme- I really did not think he was ready for MM's scheme at all last year and my impression always was he was going to have a hard time really reaching his potential in MMs scheme- too much read and respond for him IMO. I think a new system where he is going to be schemed open is going to do him wonders. It is just too bad last year was basically a throw away completely for him IMO. I think we all saw enough of both MVS and ESB to know that it is reasonable to expect one of those two players to develop into at least a solid #2 that will make defenses pay for focusing too much on Adams in the future. Throw in Kumerow and Lazzard from last year, I am with most on here thinking it has to be a heckuva value to take a WR. BUT, if you are able to get a Samuel who I think would be a sure thing in the slot versus "hoping" the scheme will work for Moore- I dunno.

I say take a TE lol. Outside of Tonyan I really do not think you have anything beyond this year at the position and that position likely takes at least 1 year to learn well enough to function with Rodgers at the helm and the blocking ability needed. I just hope the TE is not selected at 12 unless that TE is a future HOFer.

1 hour ago, Burnett42 said:

Now compare that to 3rd and 4th round TEs. I haven't even heard of most of them.

Martin Rucker

Chase Coffman

Watching these two together in college was a treat.  Neither really amounted to much in the league though.  Too bad.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Just say NO to TE in Round One!

To me it is like drafting a punter before round 6- he better become a HOFer.

If it is late in the first round and you hit the jackpot with a pick at 12, maybe, but again- he better be a cornerstone of your offense with high impact to take that high.

3 minutes ago, PackFan4Life said:

To me it is like drafting a punter before round 6- he better become a HOFer.

If it is late in the first round and you hit the jackpot with a pick at 12, maybe, but again- he better be a cornerstone of your offense with high impact to take that high.

#30 might be a decent spot for one of the Iowa TE's, but even that might be pushing it... at #12 .. get outta here!

6 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft

I am not a fan of TE at 12, at all.  

I agree if we want an Iowa TE, we’ll likely have to move up or down.  I like Fant, but not necessarily for where I think our Onis headed.

I really like Hockenson for LaFleur's offense and like that type myself.

But this is a deep tight end class. I'm very happy with either Warring or Moreau later, even a double dip here. I don't see them as much worse prospects, just more raw. 

Hockenson can step in day one. We need a starter next year. We can take a year to coach up these two. The combine numbers are almost equal for all three and Warring and Moreau (great locker room guy too) look very good of what I watched. Moreau received honors at the Senior Bowl too 

Archived