2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

While Hock is the better fit for LaFleur, Fant is night and day the better fit for Aaron Rodgers.

Really hope LaFleur can meld his offense around Rodgers' strengths and preferences or this is going to blow up in our face.

Rodgers needs a Finley or a Cook.

I agree, but I do get a kick out of those people who say they watch Hock and just don't see an athlete that can stretch the field a bit, be a playmaker, etc. Hock isn't Fant athletically, but It's become apparent to me that those people haven't actually watched Hock and just took a glance at a white Iowa guy and decided he's not athletic. I don't know how you could watch even his highlights while considering his combine #s and come to the conclusion he's not an athletic TE. Shoot, he beat Gronk in almost every athletic category and a very similar size.

23 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Dude, if the TE is open/a freak athlete Rodgers can throw open, he isn't going to *not throw to him* because he's a TE.

Since Finley, TE hasn't been good in GB and that is why he hasn't thrown it there all that much compared to having a Gronk or Kelce to throw to.

I'm probably alone, but I do think Jimmy will be better in year 2 out of MM's scheme.

Here's a question:

What do you see at Jimmy's ceiling this year? What is Hock ceiling over the next 3 years?

I think what they're getting at is that a TE, even on their best day, is the No.2 receiver on the team. Is that worth the No. 12 overall pick? Is it worth the No. 30 pick?

Obviously TEs contribute in other ways to, so it's not an easy question. I'm just questioning how great a TE has to be to justify a first round pick.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I agree, but I do get a kick out of those people who say they watch Hock and just don't see an athlete that can stretch the field a bit, be a playmaker, etc. Hock isn't Fant athletically, but It's become apparent to me that those people haven't actually watched Hock and just took a glance at a white Iowa guy and decided he's not athletic. I don't know how you could watch even his highlights while considering his combine #s and come to the conclusion he's not an athletic TE. Shoot, he beat Gronk in almost every athletic category and a very similar size.

IMO Hock is more Finley, Fant is more Cook.

16 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Here's a question:

What do you see at Jimmy's ceiling this year? What is Hock ceiling over the next 3 years?

I think what they're getting at is that a TE, even on their best day, is the No.2 receiver on the team. Is that worth the No. 12 overall pick? Is it worth the No. 30 pick?

Obviously TEs contribute in other ways to, so it's not an easy question. I'm just questioning how great a TE has to be to justify a first round pick.

This is the important question. And I think it's probably like a top 4 TE in the league.

13 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

This is the important question. And I think it's probably like a top 4 TE in the league.

IMO, it has to be a combination of "enormous upside and high floor" as well as "later on, the tight end position is pretty dire".

It's a lot easier to pass on guys like Hockenson and Fant when you know that guys like Jace Sternberger, Isaac Nauta, Josh Oliver, Dax Raymond, Dawson Knox, and Foster Moreau are going to be available later. 

55 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

And if we can get him at pick #42 where Gronk went I'd be all for it. 

24 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

IMO, it has to be a combination of "enormous upside and high floor" as well as "later on, the tight end position is pretty dire".

It's a lot easier to pass on guys like Hockenson and Fant when you know that guys like Jace Sternberger, Isaac Nauta, Josh Oliver, Dax Raymond, Dawson Knox, and Foster Moreau are going to be available later. 

I'm out on Isaac Nauta. 4.91 40 is unacceptable at TE. Combine that with a 7.45 3C and 4.43 shuttle, AND he's small. He's off the board.

24 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, passing on Fank/Hock is a lot easier knowing you have a slower, less athletic Rochard Rodgers waiting in Nauta. 

This isn't a deep class at TE.

Again, I'm not advocating for a TE at 12.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ha. I'm not advocating for Hock or any TE at #12 or saying any 2019 TE will be Gronk. But basically any team would kill to get Gronk's career out of the #12 pick.

100%. If you could guarantee me Hock would be Gronk, I'm taking him at 12, no doubt. The thing is, the expected value of Hock is probably like a slightly above average TE, which is just not worth anything close to 12.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm probably alone, but I do think Jimmy will be better in year 2 out of MM's scheme.

Lol.  Alone?  Have you not seen the massive amounts of arguments in which I've said this?  I've literally been saying this since the day we signed him.  Whatever you think of tight ends and Rodgers, you have to admit it takes him time to trust them.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ha. I'm not advocating for Hock or any TE at #12 or saying any 2019 TE will be Gronk. But basically any team would kill to get Gronk's career out of the #12 pick.

That's the heart of the discussion. The argument for him at #12 will be met with every argument why he shouldn't. If you want a TE at #12 he better be perfect. He isn't

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah, passing on Fank/Hock is a lot easier knowing you have a slower, less athletic Rochard Rodgers waiting in Nauta. 

This isn't a deep class at TE.

Again, I'm not advocating for a TE at 12.

If the Packers trade back into the 15-20 range, I think Hock at least becomes part of the discussion (assuming someone hasn't overvalued him and taken him already). I'm really not interested in Fant unless he's there at 30. 

After those 2, there's probably not another TE in this class I would draft before the 4th round except Sternberger (that includes Irv). 

17 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Wanted to get your pulse on something I had been toying in a mock I'm working on; given how aggressive the new regime is I wouldn't put it past you guys to consider... 

1. ARI - QB Murray 
  2. SF - DE Bosa
  3. NYJ trade 1(3) to GB for 1(12), 1(30) and 2020 3rd... 

GB selects: DL Quinnen Williams 

Thoughts? 

I think there's about a 1% chance that trade would even be offered by Green Bay.

6 hours ago, BrettFavre004 said:

I think the biggest reason in keeping Graham, is that releasing him would have required Gute to admit his biggest move in his first year as a GM didn't work out.  Probably should have been roughly a 50/50 decision on keeping him in a vacuum, but I think that had to play into it.

I REALLY don't think that's the case.  You really think his pride is going to come before the franchise?

Archived