2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

The mock draft forum is doing its best to prepare me mentally for the actual draft. After watching so many crappy mocks with us getting WRs/TEs/OGs at 12-30 and then ILBs or more offensive players in the second, it's practically impossible that I will be disappointed come April.

And becoming less and less likely you'll be surprised. 
Remember when surprise was a thing? :)

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

And becoming less and less likely you'll be surprised. 
Remember when surprise was a thing? :)

I'm actually surprised with our draft pick most years. Last year we all expected Davenport, but we didn't take him when we had the chance. In 2017 we turned down TJ Watt even though we had the chance too.

20 hours ago, jleisher said:

I would not be surprised if Gute drafts 2 TE, say Hockenson and whoever.  If Hockenson is the stud they think he is, it's possible that he wins the starting job, then the Packers release Graham at that time.  This might also happen to Daniels if the Packers hit on a stud DE.

Like I want Hockenson, only TE at the top I would take high, but top 12 or top 16 is just too high, for any TE.

Id start to consider it around 21 or 22.

I think 24 is his floor with the Raiders and 23 might be a likely trade up spot for him.

I personally would prefer around 26-30 where I think his value should be, but some team will bite long before that.

2 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

The mock draft forum is doing its best to prepare me mentally for the actual draft. After watching so many crappy mocks with us getting WRs/TEs/OGs at 12-30 and then ILBs or more offensive players in the second, it's practically impossible that I will be disappointed come April.

Don’t look at Bucky Brooks mock then, Fant at 12 and AJ Brown at 30

I could live with that if it was Oliver at 12, Fant at 30, Brown at 44

I just want a Freak at 12...I don't care what position. Honestly, CB, S, OL, QB, RB, would be the positions that would disappoint me at 12, but wouldn't be crushed. I like the idea of adding a DL and there are a few that would make me happy, but if the GM and HC believe a TE is the difference maker in this offense...Then be careful waiting to 30. I also don't like sliding down. Hock is complete and the real deal, but man...Fant could be sooo good. 

I think I go Oliver or another DL that slides or White or Bush...then Grab Irv Smith at 30...but if Fant or Hoch slide...try to jump up and get them.

Random Mock Draft:

12. Andre Dillard, OT

30. DeAndre Baker, CB

44. Chase Winovich, Edge

75. Terry McLaurin, WR

114. Devine Ozigbo, RB

118. Foster Moreau, TE

150. Kahale Warring, TE

185. Tyler Jones, OT

194. Will Harris, S

226. Malik Reed, LB

Obviously in this scenario we would have some decisions to make at the CB position. We could either ride with our top 4 corners being Alexander, King, Jackson, Baker; or move Jackson to safety and have Alexander, King, Baker as our top 3. I'm a fan of this draft because it adds some speed at WR, a freak on the OL, adds more talent to our secondary, gives us some depth at RB and TE, along with picking some promising prospects with Jones, Harris, and Reed. I could see Reed making the pro bowl on special teams in a few years.

36 minutes ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Don’t look at Bucky Brooks mock then, Fant at 12 and AJ Brown at 30

I could live with that if it was Oliver at 12, Fant at 30, Brown at 44

I have to say, I never agreed with about anything Brooks says, writes, or mocks. I find it surprising he's been a scout. But then again what the hell do I know?

24 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Random Mock Draft:

12. Andre Dillard, OT

30. DeAndre Baker, CB

44. Chase Winovich, Edge

75. Terry McLaurin, WR

114. Devine Ozigbo, RB

118. Foster Moreau, TE

150. Kahale Warring, TE

185. Tyler Jones, OT

194. Will Harris, S

226. Malik Reed, LB

Obviously in this scenario we would have some decisions to make at the CB position. We could either ride with our top 4 corners being Alexander, King, Jackson, Baker; or move Jackson to safety and have Alexander, King, Baker as our top 3. I'm a fan of this draft because it adds some speed at WR, a freak on the OL, adds more talent to our secondary, gives us some depth at RB and TE, along with picking some promising prospects with Jones, Harris, and Reed. I could see Reed making the pro bowl on special teams in a few years.

I could sure get on board with those first 4 picks. Baker improved his 40 to a 4.46 at his proday (GB was there). Not sure why the other times aren't out yet from it.

Recent draft picks 11-13

11. Minkah Fitzpatrick

12. Vita Vea

13. Daron Payne

11. Marshon Lattimore

12. Deshaun Watson

13. Haason Reddick

11. Vernon Hargreaves

12. Sheldon Rankins

13. Laremy Tunsil

11. Trae Waynes

12. Danny Shelton

13. Andrus Peat

11. Taylor Lewan

12. Odell Beckham

13. Aaron Donald

11. Dj Fluker

12. DJ Hayden

13. Sheldon Richardson

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

Random Mock Draft:

12. Andre Dillard, OT

30. DeAndre Baker, CB

44. Chase Winovich, Edge

75. Terry McLaurin, WR

114. Devine Ozigbo, RB

118. Foster Moreau, TE

150. Kahale Warring, TE

185. Tyler Jones, OT

194. Will Harris, S

226. Malik Reed, LB

Dont know much about Winovich personally but I'm unimpessed by his physical stature. Played at Michigan in a good Conference - so clearly he's not a chump - but I dont see him winning with OTs based on his strength. I hope we dont draft him. 

1 hour ago, BrettFavre004 said:

Like I want Hockenson, only TE at the top I would take high, but top 12 or top 16 is just too high, for any TE.

Id start to consider it around 21 or 22.

I think 24 is his floor with the Raiders and 23 might be a likely trade up spot for him.

I personally would prefer around 26-30 where I think his value should be, but some team will bite long before that.

I'd just wait until #30 to think about TE's.  Hock or Fant there might make some sense.  I just keep thinking of the best TE's in football .. they weren't 1st round picks.

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

I'm actually surprised with our draft pick most years. Last year we all expected Davenport, but we didn't take him when we had the chance. In 2017 we turned down TJ Watt even though we had the chance too.

Understood. Was just making an off handed comment. What with all the extensive pre-draft reporting, prognosticating and predicting - the "choices" get winnowed down pretty well - especially for the top slots. You get further down the road....thats where the "surprises" still exist. 

As for Watt - to draft or not - I always thought CB was the more pressing need and believe TT drafted as such i.e. based on need. Wish KK would start to stay healthy cause to date, Watt's been dominating the "Who's more talented?" discussions - simply based upon on the field performance differences.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd just wait until #30 to think about TE's.  Hock or Fant there might make some sense.  I just keep thinking of the best TE's in football .. they weren't 1st round picks.

While that’s true, I’m not sure you can always wait to take a TE later based on that line of thinking. Obviously prospects like Hockenson and Fant have traits, tape, and production that warrants them being taken very high in this draft. Keeping in mind that I myself don’t want to take a TE at pick 12, there are reasons why teams will take TEs earlier than the 3rd round, even if you can name tons of great TEs that were taken later than that. If you’re a GM who evaluated a TE prospect, and you would give him a top grade, what are you going to do? Not trust your grading, just because George Kittle went late?

Archived