2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not buying it, especially in the month leading up to the draft.  If there were issues, it would have come up already.

Heck if I know what the deal is. The first time under scrutiny by NFL guys looking to find a chink in your armor ? At the chalkboard with all eyes on you ?

Or smokescreens

13 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Personally I would always trade a pick this year for one next year in a higher round (which is the standard going rate for this sort of trade). 

Year 1 -  trade a 2nd  for a 1st next year

Year 2 - trade a 2nd for a 1st next year again - this leaves you with an extra 1st round at the expense of a 2nd round.  If you want (and there's an offer) you can trade the extra 1st to get your second back for some extra picks.

Year 3 - same as Year 2

If you followed that indefinitely then EVERY year after Year 1, you would get additional picks for no cost. Obviously this is pretty simplified and no guarantee you can get any offers but providing my job is safe then I would take each and every deal trading a pick this year for one next year in a higher round. 

In theory that sounds amazing.  But the reality is that teams don't give up FRP lightly.  If you're not a team whose missing a SRP or making a deal that involves a QB, you're not really going to get a FRP in return.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't really have any issue with the spread/air raid offense.  My issue stems from the decision making process.  I'll use Gary Pinkel's offense as a far extreme.  You go back and watch Blaine Gabbert tape from his days at Mizzou and how many reads does he make on a given play?  One, maybe two if it's a particular play.  If that read isn't open, it was a throw it away or tuck it and run option.  Obviously, that's the extreme that clearly isn't the case with Oklahoma, but it does pose the question how many reads does Lincoln Riley ask Kyler to go through?  Based on what I saw, it seems like Baker had a bit more in terms of reads than Kyler did, but I also think Kyler was significantly more conservative than Baker.

I can understand that. I'm just extremely high on Kyler's tools and especially if he goes to AZ.

Just now, rcon14 said:

I can understand that. I'm just extremely high on Kyler's tools and especially if he goes to AZ.

Kliff is probably the one whose going to maximize his talents, so I really have no issue with Arizona opting for him.  Especially if the Kliff wants to bring that Air Raid offense to the desert.  Josh Rosen is a poor fit at best for what Kliff wants to do.

41 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

Seems like basically that one highlight reel that got blasted out, jumped him into the 1st round and best safety in the draft. While it was a good highlight reel and I feel into the trap as well, it is kind of strange that he is basically a 1st rounder based off that one reel. 

Some rankings of the Safety position:

The Draft Network
1. CGJ
2. Adderley

NFL . Com
1. Rapp
2. Thompson
3. CGJ
4. Hooker
5. Abram
6. Adderley

Bucky Brooks
1. Abram
2. Adderley
5. CGJ

Consensus? Not exactly. I've read more than I've viewed - but I have looked at both CGJ and Adderley and liked what I saw with both.
For me its a positional thing. For all intents and purposes, I dont care if GB selects the 7th rated S - so long as that guy can get from sideline to sideline with a "that ball is mine" attitude. I want a young Earl Thomas-like player at FS.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

In theory, you're essentially replacing your pick this year with a pick next year that is hopefully higher.  Say the Packers "punt" their second FRP into next year to say the Cowboys.  If they flop like we would have hoped, you're now getting a top 10 pick and in an ideal world the Packers do well so their natural selection falls in that 22-32 range.  They use their top 10 pick from the Cowboys, and then flip their natural selection into the 2021 draft.

Unfortunately, the reality is that teams don't usually trade FRP unless you're dealing with a QB as part of the trade.  The exception to that is when teams are limited in the draft as far as draft capital goes.  New Orleans is a prime example of this as they dealt their SRP the previous year as part of the trade up for Alvin Kamara, and the Packers weren't moving from 12 to 27 for a measly 3rd round pick.  The last time we saw a team traded a FRP that didn't involve a QB or pre-draft trade was when the Falcons traded up from 26 to 6.  The last time a team "punted" a FRP was in 2011 when the Patriots traded their FRP (#28) for the Saints SRP (#56) and their '12 FRP.  Before then, in 2007 the Patriots traded FRP (#28) for a 4th round pick (#110) and a 1st round pick in 2008.  That's not a strong history.

I totally get it the concept. I'm just not a fan of playing kick the can multiple years in a row

Question for the board....

Would you rather....draft White or Bush at #12 or pay Martinez next year?  No trade downs...and you gotta pay the going market rate for an upper third MLB.  No clue what that is, but it isn't going to be cheap.

Just now, cannondale said:

I totally get it the concept. I'm just not a fan of playing kick the can multiple years in a row

I mean, we're probably all on board with that given the whole concept of having a top 10 pick despite being a top 10 team.  But the reality is that teams don't give up FRP lightly.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Would you rather....draft White or Bush at #12 or pay Martinez next year?  No trade downs...and you gotta pay the going market rate for an upper third MLB.  No clue what that is, but it isn't going to be cheap.

How about neither?  You can draft a mid-round (2nd through 4th round pick) on an ILB if you don't want to pay Martinez.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Another awful draft.  You have a DL and EDGE of similar (if not greater) value, and you pass on him for an ILB.  And you take a TE at 30 on top of that...

:) Submitted w/o comment - but agreed when composing it. This isnt how I'd select things. My two top guys are Burns and/or Oliver at 12 and from what I've been reading Bush at 12 is a reach.

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

How about neither?  You can draft a mid-round (2nd through 4th round pick) on an ILB if you don't want to pay Martinez.

Neither isn't an option, though I VERY MUCH get what you are saying.

I'm saying if those were your choices, what would you do?

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

All depends on the board. Can't really answer that unless I know what's sitting there at 12. No problem taking White if the board of defensive players dries up before #12.

Archived