Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I know they are desperate to make this club a winner, but they seem to be headed towards a point where they either thread a needle and look like geniuses or none of them have jobs in the NFL because it crashed and burned so terribly...and I say that as someone who believes the salary cap is a book you find in the fiction section of a library. 

Let’s not forget what team we’re talking about here. One of these scenarios is MUCH more likely than the other. 

I think if by week 6-8 this year we don’t see Watson looking significantly better than what we saw last year you are going to see some panic in Cleveland. It’s been 3 years since we’ve seen Watson play at a high level..

I can’t wait to watch it all blow up. Screw that franchise and screw that QB.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:46 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Big win for @bigben07MVP and the Noles. I didn't watch it. Any of the guys going to be high draft picks? How'd they look?

Absolutely there’s NFL talent all over the roster. Keon Coleman and Jared Verse probably will be the two highest drafted.

They look like a legit NC contender. It’s about time, I’ve sat through some miserable seasons the last few years 😅

50 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/nflnotify/status/1699206361022595096?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Yikes. No wonder the Bosa extension is taking so long. 

Their window has just about shut which is too bad.

checking with Over the Cap.  They are over the projected cap for next year with only 43 players under contract.  just a guess but they can save about $14M for cutting Armstead.  He has a voidable contract in 2025 Trent Williams number only gets worst after this season for cap hits.  For a 36 year old I would not be surprised if he took a hit.

Edited by jebrick

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Their window has just about shut which is too bad.

checking with Over the Cap.  They are over the projected cap for next year with only 43 players under contract.  just a guess but they can save about $14M for cutting Armstead.  He has a voidable contract in 2025 Trent Williams number only gets worst after this season for cap hits.  For a 36 year old I would not be surprised if he took a hit.

Kittle and Greenlaw as well.

Aiyuk would/could be a sneaky trade possibility as well with them saving $14 mill against cap if he’s dealt before June 1.

• Like 1

Just sharing because I thought this was an interesting tweet about "good enough" and "great" at the QB position. I think Kenny does have the second ability here, like Stafford, to break the rules and make a play. If he can harness that with a better ability to be boring down to down, whoa baby. 

McVay/Shannahan built QBs do not break rules. That's why the biggest successes of that tree come from Non-homemade QBs (Stafford w/ McVay, Rodgers w/ LaFleur). I really, really, really really, REALLY want us to get a McVay/Shanahan tree OC next year to allow Kenny's gamebreaker skill to match with a "just throw the f'n ball here" guy. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Just sharing because I thought this was an interesting tweet about "good enough" and "great" at the QB position. I think Kenny does have the second ability here, like Stafford, to break the rules and make a play. If he can harness that with a better ability to be boring down to down, whoa baby. 

McVay/Shannahan built QBs do not break rules. That's why the biggest successes of that tree come from Non-homemade QBs (Stafford w/ McVay, Rodgers w/ LaFleur). I really, really, really really, REALLY want us to get a McVay/Shanahan tree OC next year to allow Kenny's gamebreaker skill to match with a "just throw the f'n ball here" guy. 

I think it also shows that Ben Johnson might be a HC next year for mother team.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:14 AM, Dcash4 said:

I don't really understand what they are trying to do either, but I am curious if their decisions are driven by cap carry over. They have so very few cuttable contracts in 2024 and they are already listed at $25M over with only 40 some players. Just using the numbers from OverTheCap, but they are listed at $36M under for 2023, so if they carry it all over it's technically $9M under the cap next year. 

Of their cuttable players next year, Amari Cooper and Nick Chubb are the two biggest gains....and two of their best skill players. They would save $24M, but their next biggest cuts are Teller, Bitonio, and Dustin Hopkins which save them a grand total of $8M. So, cap carry over might just be their only answer to getting cap compliant in 24 without losing their top players out of desperation. 

I know they are desperate to make this club a winner, but they seem to be headed towards a point where they either thread a needle and look like geniuses or none of them have jobs in the NFL because it crashed and burned so terribly...and I say that as someone who believes the salary cap is a book you find in the fiction section of a library. 

https://x.com/fieldyates/status/1700518364408418392?s=46&t=42tUkm2Yd7KQT50AO-ppJQ

Starting to feel like this is the new void contracts. Create a ton of cap space to carry it over to the next year to take care of a tight cap.