Rookie Watch (Week 4 Update)

MacReady

13 hours ago, Cheech said:

After the draft my impression of 83 was a speed merchant who didn't have a clue how to run a route and also had unreliable hands.  

From the little I've seen of him he's a guy who just pops off the screen.  I love how he attacks the ball away from his body.  He looks a lot like Allison when he catches the ball.  

More surprising to me, however, is how crisp and quick he can make some of his routes look.  His play speed actually matches his timed speed.

This is a player to watch as the season progresses.  I hope MM begins to work him into the lineup more and more as he gets more comfortable with on the fly adjustments.

I can tell you for a fact there are a bunch of area scouts down there right now being forced to answer questions about MVS. Very good looking prospect and by all accounts wants/gets it. 

14 hours ago, Cheech said:

After the draft my impression of 83 was a speed merchant who didn't have a clue how to run a route and also had unreliable hands.  

From the little I've seen of him he's a guy who just pops off the screen.  I love how he attacks the ball away from his body.  He looks a lot like Allison when he catches the ball.  

More surprising to me, however, is how crisp and quick he can make some of his routes look.  His play speed actually matches his timed speed.

This is a player to watch as the season progresses.  I hope MM begins to work him into the lineup more and more as he gets more comfortable with on the fly adjustments.

The other part of that equation is 12 has to throw him the ball. That has been an issue with some of the younger receivers.  

3 hours ago, Lodestar said:

To think we got Jaire and an additional 1st-rounder in what appears to be a loaded draft is unbelievable.

That list of 6 guys is pretty much what you would expect, given where they were all drafted. Sure Ward could be a spot higher and Alexander two spots lower, but broadly speaking it is close to what you would expect. There is one notable name not on the list,  Derwin James, but tbh I'd expect it to be more mixed up than it is.

4 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

That list of 6 guys is pretty much what you would expect, given where they were all drafted. Sure Ward could be a spot higher and Alexander two spots lower, but broadly speaking it is close to what you would expect. There is one notable name not on the list,  Derwin James, but tbh I'd expect it to be more mixed up than it is.

James is not on the list because it's a CB list, not a DB one.

I feel a little vindicated as well. I really liked Davenport and his combination of speed and power. I felt he was an all around OLB. Didn’t like Edmunds because he played ILB at Tech, not OLB. Rarely blitzed or played the edge. 

All that said, I wouldn’t change this draft and give up the #1 pick next year. I feel we will be more than happy with a number of edge players from this next class. 

My top three wants in the draft were R. Smith, J. Alexander, and J. Washington. Obviously love JA and JJ looks to be special as well. Now, I have to hope the Smith is a bust, but unfortunately he is going to be really good, especially with Mack as a teammate.

Archived