2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

With how I missed on players like JuJu and Michael Thomas, I have come to a point where I don't care about the receiver type. If they can't get open, catch the ball and aren't divas and willing blockers, I can go for them.

9 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

I'll take the Desean Jackson threat please. Make the opposing team consider the deep half on every single play.

Well, as long as Lamar has chemistry with him at least. John Brown's demise is about the only thing that saddens me with Jackson taking over at QB.

Yeah Hollywood Brown, when adjusting for “Ravens fit” is probably #2 behind JJAWs. The way I see it, that Oklahoma system is something we can look to build off of in our passing attack all while keeping the principles that Roman brings to the table in the rushing attack.

We've also had great luck with adding former Sooners in MAndrews and Brown into the fold. Porque No Las Tres?

That said, Whiteside is my guy if we’re spending a first round pick on a WR. I think he checks all the boxes.

1 round - Elgton Jenkins, OC

3 round (flacco trade) - Darnell Savage, S

3 round - Greg Dortch, WR

4 round - Kenny Willekes, OLB

4 round (comp Jensen) - Juan Thornhill, CB/S

5 round - Hjalte Froholdt, OG/OC

6 round - Myles Gaskin, RB

7 round - Kareem Orr, CB

Made this wish list before the Browns game. I still feel it represent what I want us to do in the draft to improve this team. Obviously I will always be the "get olines and get the early" guy in here, and I feel the same after today. Skura is a decent starter and serviceable backup, but we could upgrade that position. Savage is the free safety with the range we don't have atm. and I could see both Weddle and Jefferson in other clubs or retired next seasons. Dortch has some wiggle in open space and would be a nice addition when either Brown, Crabtree, Snead whoever is gone.

Willekes is a hand technician guy who could get stronger, but I really like his effort and motor and depth at pass rush is important, especially as both Tim Williams and Bowser are nearing bust territory.

Juan Thornhill is a guy several of us like, and he could be another versatile DB on this defense.

Froholdt is a development guard to possible take over once Yanda retires, while Gaskin is a back with some ability to catch passes.

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'd don't really know any of the prospects yet but that definitely looks like the sort of draft class I could get behind

Take a look at Willekes and Dortch first, those guys are fun. The watch Savage, Thornhill and Nassir Adderley in concession. Those three guys are really interesting options outside of the 1. round.

7 hours ago, Danand said:

Willekes is a hand technician guy who could get stronger, but I really like his effort and motor and depth at pass rush is important, especially as both Tim Williams and Bowser are nearing bust territory.

Yea, the bold is total nonsense and Willekes just fractured his leg in their Bowl Game. Might not declare as a result.

20 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Yea, the bold is total nonsense and Willekes just fractured his leg in their Bowl Game. Might not declare as a result.

Relatively high drafted players that can't get on the field. Didn't know about the fractured leg though.

Just now, Danand said:

Relatively high drafted players that can't get on the field.

So if James Hurst and Alex Lewis never got hurt, and Orlando Brown Jr. didn't get much or any playing time... would he be nearing bust territory?

How about Kenny Young, he hasn't completely overtaken Peanut or Mosley. Is he a bust? What if we had more depth at ILB, and he didn't even get to rotate. Would he be nearing bust territory?

What about Anthony Averett? He can't get on the field. Is he nearing bust territory?

Was Chris Wormley a bust last year? Remember when he wasn't being activated? Or how about Mark Andrews earlier in the season? Hayden Hurst was having an amazing camp while Andrews was sidelined, and everyone was saying we wasted a pick on Mark. Then magically Andrews isn't a waste anymore and now Hayden is.

I really don't want to turn this into a thing, but I have ZERO respect for that kind of logic.

This rush to come to a conclusion on players, and usually a negative one at that, is so odd. Look at Peanut, the dude was the complete opposite of Williams & Bowser. He went undrafted and didn't play very well when given the opportunity. Now at 26 he's looking like a brand new man and a possible big impact player for our future. 

ZDS is gone and Suggs will be 1 year older. Bowser and Williams are a big part of our future and I'm excited. Both have played well when given the opportunity and should only get better from here. 

I've talked about it before, but Phenom or Bust is really an off putting position imo. Unless young players on this team force significant playing time out of a heavily Veteran slanted coach in Harbaugh, and plain to see dominant playing time at that too, they are quickly labeled under performers/busts/wastes. 

HOLY! Seems like I offended you with a very non-controversial take.

You compared Orlando Brown, a rookie starter at right tackle who improved our oline and is praised for his work ethic and in general had a very impressive season.

Then Kenny Young who played 369 defensive snaps in his rookie year and 178 special teams snaps. He had 40 tackles, 22 assists, 2,5 sacks and a pass defended. He competed with two established players and played in rotation.

Chris Wormley played 401 defensive snaps and 108 ST snaps, and he has 16 tackles and a sack for the year as a NT/DT

Mark Andrews you get to pick games where he had no receptions and you compare that to TWO seasons for a 2. Round pick and a 4. Round pick

Anthony Averett played 147 defensive snaps and 147 special teams snaps, had 10-11 tackles and 2 passes defended. He is a part of maybe the deepest cornerback position in the league and was still deemed worthy of playing time.

In comparison, Bowser and Williams snap count for 2018 and complete stats for the two seasons as players drafted earlier or in the same round as all the mentioned above:

Tyus Bowser, 22 tackles, 7 assists, 3,5 sacks, 1 interception returned for 27 yards, 162 defensive snaps in 2018 and 260 ST snaps

Tim Williams 16 tackles, 5 assists, 2 sacks, 119 defensive snaps in 2018 and 40 ST snaps

When you draft a player as high as Bowser and to a somewhat degree Williams, you expect them to be contributors early. When you get a late round pick or UDFA as Peanut you hope they can build and evolve into backup/starter and if you are really lucky a star player eventually.

As I said, both Bowser and Williams have very little impact on games and struggle to find playing time. They have 2 years left on their contract and we have seen that players take time to get to where they need to be. Both have 2 years to prove that, but if the trend continues – then yes they are draft busts with us, thus my point of them “getting closer” to the bust label.

They have skills we don’t have on the field atm, and they could get playing time if players like Z. Smith leaves in free agency, if Suggs falls off and Judon gets injured, but so far they aren’t forcing their way onto the field.

9 minutes ago, Danand said:

When you draft a player as high as Bowser and to a somewhat degree Williams, you expect them to be contributors early. When you get a late round pick or UDFA as Peanut you hope they can build and evolve into backup/starter and if you are really lucky a star player eventually.

As I said, both Bowser and Williams have very little impact on games and struggle to find playing time. They have 2 years left on their contract and we have seen that players take time to get to where they need to be. Both have 2 years to prove that, but if the trend continues – then yes they are draft busts with us, thus my point of them “getting closer” to the bust label.

They have skills we don’t have on the field atm, and they could get playing time if players like Z. Smith leaves in free agency, if Suggs falls off and Judon gets injured, but so far they aren’t forcing their way onto the field.

You clearly missed the simple to comprehend point I was making with the players I cited. So let's just set that aside.

Why would Bowser and Williams have a big impact on a game where they aren't getting many/or any snaps? lol Why they would have to be Phenoms! And "Struggling to find playing time" implies that some convictable level of fault is on them as players. Instead of, they have talented players in front of them and the coaching staff is rolling with Veteran players. Which is the truth of the situation.

There is a major difference between a possible Draft Error/Flawed Strategy and a Draft Bust. A Draft Bust is a player who offers little to no ability. With the level of Bust usually determined by the investment(1st Round, 2nd Round etc) and the players other clubs selected after that who proved more valuable.

Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser don't meet that description. Both are extremely talented and have shown nothing but encouraging play on limited Regular Season Snaps and Extended Preseason snaps. They have plenty of ability. 

"So far they aren't forcing their way onto the field"................ lol Bro, you're making my point for me. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Riley Ridley seems underappreciated so far. He's probably 10-15% slower and less explosive than his Brother, but he creates consistent separation and snags balls outside his frame with strong natural hands. He's also sturdier than his brother to compensate for that lowered speed. I like him a lot, he would be a good young pass catcher to pair with Lamar. He's got the radius to make up for non ideal throws, he never stops working on the field- so he brings a ton of value on Lamar's extended plays, and he's a willing and tenacious blocker. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

You clearly missed the simple to comprehend point I was making with the players I cited. So let's just set that aside.

Why would Bowser and Williams have a big impact on a game where they aren't getting many/or any snaps? lol Why they would have to be Phenoms! And "Struggling to find playing time" implies that some convictable level of fault is on them as players. Instead of, they have talented players in front of them and the coaching staff is rolling with Veteran players. Which is the truth of the situation.

There is a major difference between a possible Draft Error/Flawed Strategy and a Draft Bust. A Draft Bust is a player who offers little to no ability. With the level of Bust usually determined by the investment(1st Round, 2nd Round etc) and the players other clubs selected after that who proved more valuable.

Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser don't meet that description. Both are extremely talented and have shown nothing but encouraging play on limited Regular Season Snaps and Extended Preseason snaps. They have plenty of ability. 

"So far they aren't forcing their way onto the field"................ lol Bro, you're making my point for me. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

And apparently you can't comprehend that you  compared apples and oranges.  The encouraging plays on limited regular season snaps is what we hope will be something we see more of, but so far they aren't contributors. A UDFA in Peanut has been an impact player and outplayed his draft position. Tuys Bowser has not played up to his draft position and if he truly was good enough, he would most likely see the field more. For all the ability Tim Williams has, there is something holding him back. 

I can't see why it is a thing you get so worked up about. 

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Riley Ridley seems underappreciated so far.

I've seen a few people on twitter/draft websites argue this - by the time the draft rolls around he might get into the "so underrated he's overrated" category ;)  

Archived