DE Hayes tears ACL, QB Carr remained unhurt

RuskieTitan

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

In all fairness, he wasn't penalized.

Although the announcer was calling for it to be a penalty... which was really gross to hear as a tackle football fan. Tannehill had a very similar play which was penalized in Miami's favor and I wish it hadn't been. Dilutes the product. 15 yards and an automatic 1st is far too big a boon for something so incidental. The refs had a terrible day in general, both fan bases were unhappy.

couldn't have said it better.  The league is getting worse, not better

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've seen the video of the Hayes sack. It doesn't actually look like he does anything to really "avoid" landing on top of Carr. He just lands at an awkward angle.

That being said, I really don't know what the NFL expects guys who are coming straight at a QB to do. Go to the side and arm tackle? Twist the QB and potentially injure them/yourself? You can't go low, you can't go high, you can't take them straight down. I really just don't know.

run right through them (until they change that to a new rule) or push them to the ground (and then they will change that due to injuries)

nfl wants a league full of 40+ year old QB's that consume 20% of the teams cap.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He picked her up. That's unnecessary roughness and excessive use of force. 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down + first warning for unnecessary roughness. Next one is an ejection from the game.

good one. James Harrison described this back in 2010 SB on media day.  This league needs an overhaul soon.

The league needs to just go ahead and use the red practice unis for QBs in the games too, given how they dont treat quarterbacks the way they do all other players.

I was pretty livid when I saw the two sacks Clay Matthews get flagged for, but I must acknowledge the sweet justice of it happening to the team that forced the rule in the first place.

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I hope he sues the league and wins.

This is unrealistic. It's not a Reggie Bush concrete injury type situation.

If anything it could be addressed in the next CBA... but unlikely. These offensive rule changes (in theory) is one of the major contributing factors to increased viewership. Higher scoring games are simply more entertaining to casuals. I don't think the NFLPA or the NFL have an interest in making the pie smaller.

Complaining aside, defensive players are making more than ever.. despite the increased difficulties with tackling / pass defense rules.

The NFL opened a major can of worms with this penalty. The bad part is they are doubling down by defending it publicly. This rule will go away and if it doesn’t it’s going to become a major point of contention when the next CBA is negotiated. This is getting embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

The league needs to just go ahead and use the red practice unis for QBs in the games too, given how they dont treat quarterbacks the way they do all other players.

I was pretty livid when I saw the two sacks Clay Matthews get flagged for, but I must acknowledge the sweet justice of it happening to the team that forced the rule in the first place.

It is kind of humorous to see *some* Packers fans who were crying about the Barr sack last year now try to explain the imperceptible differences between that and what Matthews has been flagged for this year.

But it is no solace. I'd rather just not have the rule. It's horrible and making the game hard to watch and has already affected outcomes of games. It is really, really bad.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I've seen the video of the Hayes sack. It doesn't actually look like he does anything to really "avoid" landing on top of Carr. He just lands at an awkward angle.

That being said, I really don't know what the NFL expects guys who are coming straight at a QB to do. Go to the side and arm tackle? Twist the QB and potentially injure them/yourself? You can't go low, you can't go high, you can't take them straight down. I really just don't know.

Seemed to me like he brought his body weight to the right during the sack to avoid landing on the QB with his body weight. Then he kind of bounces off his knees and that is where the injury happens. I'm not sure though

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

Seemed to me like he brought his body weight to the right during the sack to avoid landing on the QB with his body weight. Then he kind of bounces off his knees and that is where the injury happens. I'm not sure though

I mean yeah but that wasn't really a tackle that you don't normally see. It's not like he clearly was trying to not land on the guy. His weight was already carrying him to the right.

Archived