5up 5down wk3 Bucs

3rivers

47 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree with this. Haley was a fairly bad play-caller and a jerk, but he was an overall good coordinator. Much better than Fitchner. I'll give Randy some more time, though. He's not done it for a long time. 

Really?

Question...what did Haley do that was so much better than Fitch?    Just curious.

I dont think Fitch has been good thus far either, but I think youre forgetting how abysmal Haley was more often than not.

48 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree with this. Haley was a fairly bad play-caller and a jerk, but he was an overall good coordinator. Much better than Fitchner. I'll give Randy some more time, though. He's not done it for a long time. 

Agreed. I am not going to shout "fire Fitchner", but he really needs to improve. I couldn't stand a lot about Haley, specifically his personnel choices/groupings and his game set up. Second and long was an automatic 2 TE and a 3rd OT run play. He would bring guys like David Johnson on the field in the slot for 3rd and 8 (hey, its an automatic screen pass to THAT side). He wouldnt deviate from anything in the first half - he had to run A, to get to B, to set up C and too much of that was based solely on tendencies of the opposing coordinator and he would run them regardless of the actual action on the field. Eli Rogers was a redzone guy on 3 wr sets.....yeah. He opened plays in empty too much instead of motioning out of it and stressing communication flaws. 

But overall, he had a solid offense, if he could get into it but he had a lot of bad qualities. He was an obvious play caller. You could see everything he was doing from a mile away. I always thought Haleys play calling was like playing poker against someone who would show you all of his cards the entire game -- he just had REALLY good cards. Fitchner so far has been like playing War against someone with no cards higher than a 7, but does have1 ace. You are going to lose a lot of battles, but that Ace will get you at some point. 

14 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Really?

Question...what did Haley do that was so much better than Fitch?    Just curious.

I dont think Fitch has been good thus far either, but I think youre forgetting how abysmal Haley was more often than not.

I think Haley had a lot to do with our WR progression. I think he did a good job in changing Ben's game. I think he could create very nicely designed plays. I just think he sucked at when to call those creative plays. 

I can't even get to criticizing the OC right now, because the D is such a headache for me.  Colbert screwed up this past offseason because the D showed it was bad and he did next to nothing. Bostic has been good but the areas of need were everywhere else

Love him or hate him, Haley turned Ben from an awesome football player who played quarterback into an awesome quarterback who played football. The short/intermediate passing game, getting the ball out on time, not relying on sandlot football, and learning that check downs and living to play another day could thrive with the players we have. That's what made Haley great for Ben and the team. Haley forced Ben out of his Arians comfort zone because Bruce would let him do whatever he wanted and Todd wouldn't. Ben needed that, but Haley never loosed those reigns and the relationship soured. Haley isnt a good enough play caller/game planner to consistently have success, but does have a solid overall offensive view. He and Ben working together would have been great, but that room was too divided. 

Would love to spend a day in the Saints QB room and just listen to Payton and Brees work through a game plan. Its too bad we couldn't find that mutual relationship for Ben. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Haley had very few intermediate routes for Ben.  Most were short timing routes.  The difference I am seeing is Ben is holding the ball longer but is ready for his check downs.

I did hate that about the Tequila Cowboy. We had the guys that were perfect for routes that were 10-20 yards down the field and he never ran them. Only <5 or 20+

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Browns fan asking a question, how is haden going for you guys?

Hade is a gift that keeps our secondary from being 32nd in the league by a mile.  Why the Browns let him go is something I can't understand. Haden and Ward would be  quite the pair of CB's.  OTOH, burns and coty would be the worst starting pair ever and if not, feel free to tell us what the worst pair ever was because if Haden is out, we could be close 9_9

Archived