Are the Redskins criminally underrated?

BayRaider

18 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Pretty weird stat this year.

The Redskins have had no lead changes, in any of their 8 games so far.

meaning...they 've scored 1st in their 5 wins & didn't in their 3 losses.

this stat at first seems weird but i think it makes perfect sense the way the redskins are built as a team

they’re built to score first, bend but not break and keep it low scoring and grind you out 20 to 17, not letting you ever reclaim the lead. if they can keep this up they can frustrate some very good teams, like they did green bay, and they can sneak a playoff spot for sure. but if they find themselves in shootouts it’s less guaranteed. they’re helped by the eagles getting off to a slow start and the rest of their division sucking butt, and so their divisional games against philly are shaping to be very important  

18 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Alex Smith is a surefire bet to hold any offense back. Only reason he was good in KC was the system and the talent around him. We're seeing what the real Alex is with the Skins and what a real QB can do in Reid's offense.

If they score first they have a chance cuz they can ride AP and the D but they seem like a team, that to me, once theyre down by 2 scores it's pretty much over.

Well now wait a minute, that's a little unfair of an assessment considering the fact that they are still 5-3 and leading their division.  Its not as if Smith is just flat out sucking or anything like that (hell, he did have over 300 yards and a TD in the Falcons game).  My main point was not that Alex Smith is bad or anything like that, but that they simply lack the kind of explosiveness and HR-threat to be able to overcome large deficits or to hold up when a game becomes a shootout.  You don't have to have Mahomes-like numbers to be considered a good QB after all, and I'd also argue that what Mahomes is doing in KC this year should definitely NOT be expected as far as how the rest of his career in KC is going to go (if it were then Mahomes will be the greatest QB who has ever played the game which I don't believe he is).  

4 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Well now wait a minute, that's a little unfair of an assessment considering the fact that they are still 5-3 and leading their division.  Its not as if Smith is just flat out sucking or anything like that (hell, he did have over 300 yards and a TD in the Falcons game).  My main point was not that Alex Smith is bad or anything like that, but that they simply lack the kind of explosiveness and HR-threat to be able to overcome large deficits or to hold up when a game becomes a shootout.  You don't have to have Mahomes-like numbers to be considered a good QB after all, and I'd also argue that what Mahomes is doing in KC this year should definitely NOT be expected as far as how the rest of his career in KC is going to go (if it were then Mahomes will be the greatest QB who has ever played the game which I don't believe he is).  

I'm not saying Alex Smith is bad but he's limited. He has to be schemed around with adequate skill personnel for him to look Pro Bowl caliber. He just doesn't have the natural physical gifts. He plays to his limited skillset better than maybe any QB in the league tho. But he's a QB that, without a great scheme and exceptional skill position talent, isn't gonna pull you back into a game after you're already down.

The difference between Smith and Mahomes at QB is the difference between being a playoff team and being a SB contender and it shows.

3 hours ago, megatechpc said:

I wouldn't say he lacks the "natural physical gifts" at all actually.  The guy can throw a beautiful deep pass and is athletic on a par with Aaron Rodgers when he runs the ball.  His biggest issue has been and always will be a lack of consistency.  

He can throw the deep pass but he's mentally very unwilling to.  He gets incredibly risk-averse when flustered and stops looking downfield.

15 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

this stat at first seems weird but i think it makes perfect sense the way the redskins are built as a team

they’re built to score first, bend but not break and keep it low scoring and grind you out 20 to 17, not letting you ever reclaim the lead. if they can keep this up they can frustrate some very good teams, like they did green bay, and they can sneak a playoff spot for sure. but if they find themselves in shootouts it’s less guaranteed. they’re helped by the eagles getting off to a slow start and the rest of their division sucking butt, and so their divisional games against philly are shaping to be very important  

Hmm? Isn't it more like this team struggles to score so their defense needs to play lights out? They only have 3 games with at least 21 points. 

Archived